Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Chinese are coming!

The Chinese are coming!

Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:28 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Chinese are coming!

Originally Posted by EllisG
was actually speaking from first hand experience.... In 2001 I was invited to a trade show...in 2002 I went back to the same trade show in Berlin and my manufacturer had all their new models out of sight behind curtains as the chinese manufacturers had taken pictures the previous year and now turned up armed with replicas of their entire range

I do my best to avoid wasting my money on substandard Chinese goods and funny enough, judging by the huge interest in German Kitchen appliances I sell to customers in China, so do they when they have the choice.
wasnt there a joke about a company who sent a product out to China for production out there and the sample they sent back was identical down to the Made in Britain on the back ?

I can remember the days when British Products were seen as "must have" by the rich and elite in the Far East. A company making a range of upmarket hi-fi loudspeakers had a maximum figure for sales in certain countries - this kept the price and cache attached to their brand.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:45 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the wealthy chinese still like to have western goods and now they can, so they have become major consumers in the west - by making cheap copies!

Jo xxx
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Producing sub standard products
Really?

Perhaps you should advise Steve Jobs that the 15 million iPhone 5 phones that he has just ordered are rubbish products.

Not to mention the millions of Dell laptops that they produce - I could go on but you can do the research!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Domino
well not the English anyway, they don't run shops any more
Don't run anything well any more. The 'skill base' has gone, and far too many youngsters encouraged to go to Uni. What good is a nation where everyone has a degree, and no one knows how to handle a spanner.

John
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
Don't run anything well any more. The 'skill base' has gone, and far too many youngsters encouraged to go to Uni. What good is a nation where everyone has a degree, and no one knows how to handle a spanner.

John
Because for Blair and Brown it kept them of the unemployed records at the expense of their parents
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Really?

Perhaps you should advise Steve Jobs that the 15 million iPhone 5 phones that he has just ordered are rubbish products.

Not to mention the millions of Dell laptops that they produce - I could go on but you can do the research!
errr .......Dell has never been a quality product, the Iphone 5 is set to go into production today so we can wait and see for any problems with them. My main gripe was actually directed to pure Chinese products not where they do sub contract work to a foreign manufacturer's specification

Just because the mass market is willing to downgrade it's quality expectation in order to get their technology fix at a bargain price does not change the fact that China achieves it's price advantage by either oppressing their people, using inferior materials or, as in the case of their home grown brands, both.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:16 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

errr .......Dell has never been a quality product,.
That must be why so many people buy them then!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:34 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
It could be a whole lot worse...
Err, how much worse ?

You mean worldwide nuclear war breaking out or something like that ?
Old Jul 7th 2011, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bobd22
Because for Blair and Brown it kept them of the unemployed records at the expense of their parents
I'm afraid it goes back much further than that. The decline started in the late '60s. We were talking about the inverted pyramid then, more bosses than workers & apprenticeships cut to three years from five. Talking about apprenticeships, what the hell is a modern apprenticeship ?

John
Old Jul 7th 2011, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
That must be why so many people buy them then!
Dell don't make computers, they like many others, assemble components made by other companies into their cases.

John.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:18 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Dell don't make computers, they like many others, assemble components made by other companies into their cases.

John.
True but their laptops are all "assembled" in China.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:37 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine works in some sort of high level company company security crap, I don't understand it meself but he basically sets up networks and all that sort of crap for blue chip companies and he said ages ago that one client he worked for was getting over 3000 cyber attacks A DAY on its server and almost every one of them originated in China, they are so worried they have actually undertaken a very covert "Employ no Chinese" policy.... I bet they don't ever advertise that!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:54 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Err, how much worse ?

You mean worldwide nuclear war breaking out or something like that ?
How about a religious fundamentalist regime like Iran or Saudi?
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about apprenticeships, what the hell is a modern apprenticeship ?

John
Still a few about.

05 July 2011

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, today announced that his drive to create more apprentices in the capital has smashed its 20,000 target three months early and by almost 50 per cent.

Working in partnership with the National Apprenticeship Service (NAS), the Mayor’s campaign has seen a total of 28,120 people finding places on schemes with companies across a wide range of the capital's business sectors.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agoreira
Still a few about.
Yes, but few of these are proper apprenticeships as they used to be, where you worked under the instruction of a skilled man, on a one to one basis, and learned your craft. The first ten months of my five year apprenticeship, I spent pushing a file for nine hours a day, working to 0.001". That taught me the basic truth - 'Near enough isn't good enough!'. My final working years were spent in Quality Assurance for one of the worlds largest aviation companies, and watching many of the so called 'skilled' fitters, was a very worrying experience!!.
I believe that one giant do-it-yourself store, advertise their jobs for shelf filling/helpers as Modern Apprenticeships. This, I think you'll find is the type of job he's talking about.

John.

Last edited by Saxy; Jul 7th 2011 at 9:12 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.