British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Chimney sweeps? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/chimney-sweeps-674033/)

fionamw Jun 25th 2010 7:55 pm

Chimney sweeps?

Do chimney sweeps exist in Spain? If not why not? You don't see the little vans around here like you would in my neck of the woods in the UK. Makes me wonder if I should start a biz & send the 8yo up the chimernees a la Dick van Dyke! (not really, PC brigade if you're out there:rofl:)

Fred James Jun 25th 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Chimney sweeps?

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 8657416)
Makes me wonder if I should start a biz & send the 8yo up the chimernees a la Dick van Dyke!

Just make sure you grease him well in case he gets stuck and tie a rope to his feet.:D

Oh yes - and don't light the fire until he has come back down.

fionamw Jun 25th 2010 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 8657467)
Just make sure you grease him well in case he gets stuck and tie a rope to his feet.:D

Oh yes - and don't light the fire until he has come back down.

:lol: He's well built so he should do a 'tight fit' job!

actually, on a more serious note, a friend said they'd heard tell the campo way is to tie a (live, of course) hen/cockerel to a brick then chuck the brick down the chimney. The furious flapping of the terrified bird following the brick down the chimney does the biz, so it seems:thumbdown:

Wendy Nesbeth Jun 26th 2010 12:19 am

We use a chimmey sweep here in Torrevieja, Costa Blanca South.

fionamw Jun 26th 2010 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Wendy Nesbeth (Post 8657863)
We use a chimmey sweep here in Torrevieja, Costa Blanca South.

Spanish or extranjero? I ask because I wonder if the Spanish all use 'a friend who's got a set of brushes' or if everyone has their own or if no-one cleans their chimneys outside the UK!

snikpoh Jun 26th 2010 7:46 am

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 8657416)
Do chimney sweeps exist in Spain? If not why not? You don't see the little vans around here like you would in my neck of the woods in the UK. Makes me wonder if I should start a biz & send the 8yo up the chimernees a la Dick van Dyke! (not really, PC brigade if you're out there:rofl:)

I think if you do a search, this has been covered before.

bil Jun 26th 2010 6:58 pm

Well, it's a profession that I have done for the last thirty years, so I can comment just a bit.

There are sweeps in Spain, but not many, and all the Spaniards I know have a very laissez-faire attutude. Our neighbour opposite had her chimney go on fire last winter, so I went over, helped them put it out and then went back the next day to clean the chimney. I tried to telll her that it needed sweeping at least now and then, but she pointed out that it hadn't been done for 20 years......

If you want to get some excellent brushes and rods there's a place that I know in the UK that sells the best brushes that I was ever able to find. If you want their name pm me.

Spanish chimneys are slightly different to the UK ones, and much better designed. (At least the ones here are). In the UK, the fireplace opening goes from the full width down to 8 or 9 inches within a couple of feet. Here it tapers gradually until the next floor, with the result that the chimney has a better draw.