Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

childcare, dancers, entertainers (all recognised)

childcare, dancers, entertainers (all recognised)

Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: childcare, dancers, entertainers (all recognised)

Originally Posted by JLFS
I was referring to red tape, why is that insluting, you are in for a big shock, even to join the library is a major hurdle.
Joining my local library in Spain was easier than it was to join the one in the UK - in Spain I just went in with my passport, filled in a simple form and was given my membership card. In the UK I had to produce my Council tax bill as well as proof of ID, and to join the Central Library in Manchester where I worked I had to provide a letter from my employer as well.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 2:02 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Joining my local library in Spain was easier than it was to join the one in the UK - in Spain I just went in with my passport, filled in a simple form and was given my membership card. In the UK I had to produce my Council tax bill as well as proof of ID, and to join the Central Library in Manchester where I worked I had to provide a letter from my employer as well.
is it small wonder they are complaining they are under used ??
although they seem more interested in those who come in to use their internet facilities for modest charge or who sit reading a newspaper for 3 hours until it has stopped raining.
my UK local had more people there in the middle of winter because people didnt want to turn the heating on.

but now it has been outsourced they are treating it less like a service, more like an income source - despite having the same level of grant from central funds.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

justjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nice

haha yes i remember when i joined the library here in the uk about 10years ago, I Felt like an ex con lol. I get refused alcohol in Asdas and i'm 36 lmao (completely different tale i know) every individual will always come across barriers no matter who they are or where they are from i suppose.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
is it small wonder they are complaining they are under used ??
although they seem more interested in those who come in to use their internet facilities for modest charge or who sit reading a newspaper for 3 hours until it has stopped raining.
my UK local had more people there in the middle of winter because people didnt want to turn the heating on.

but now it has been outsourced they are treating it less like a service, more like an income source - despite having the same level of grant from central funds.
Apologies to the OP for going off topic (but it's JLFS' fault, he mentioned libraries - it was him, Miss, honest!).

Are they charging for internet use in UK libraries now? It was still free when I left almost 6 years ago, but it wouldn't surprise me. They did charge for borrowing DVDs and things like reservation fees for books, as well as fines for returning things late.

I guess the invention of e-readers is a real threat to the continuing existence of libraries, even avid readers are switching over to them more and more. Only a few die hard luddites like me are left! One thing that surprised me about our local Spanish library is how few books they have - no fiction at all, just reference books, plays and poetry, in a town with 75,000 inhabitants. We have 2 or 3 bookshops in town, though, which are still going so there must be some people who like reading and are willing to pay for books.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

justjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nicejustjo76 is just really nice

Not sure as I never returned the last book. OOps!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:01 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justjo76
yea i know... as you can see i am frustrated lol and often take things personally .. havent come to argue and i am sure JFLS doesnt want that either
No worries. Moving abroad, the planning, the researching and the action, is a stressful time.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sue
No worries. Moving abroad, the planning, the researching and the action, is a stressful time.
bless you thanks xx hey what does anyone reckon to this, LOL http://www.synergyspanish.com/?a=donkeyot if only??
Old Aug 21st 2012, 7:01 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

bless you thanks xx hey what does anyone reckon to this, LOL http://www.synergyspanish.com/?a=donkeyot if only??
To be honest it looks a lot like the Michel Thomas method (but a higher price).

If you're an absolute beginner, may be better to get some Michel Tomas cds (ebay?) or EarWorms - http://www.earwormslearning.com/discover/index.php - and then book yourself onto a language course. You will need feedback and correcting, otherwise you will learn bad habits from the start, and they're a lot harder to overcome when older.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 7:03 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Give it a go, why not?

That will be 138 words to be crossed off the "to learn" list....
Old Aug 21st 2012, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JLFS
Give it a go, why not?

That will be 138 words to be crossed off the "to learn" list....
I guess so, when look at it like that. Not so unrealistic really ..... more so than some of my ideas
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
To be honest it looks a lot like the Michel Thomas method (but a higher price).

If you're an absolute beginner, may be better to get some Michel Tomas cds (ebay?) or EarWorms - http://www.earwormslearning.com/discover/index.php - and then book yourself onto a language course. You will need feedback and correcting, otherwise you will learn bad habits from the start, and they're a lot harder to overcome when older.

I agree . Since 8 years old my dad taught me to pronounce the V in "por favor" it was only last year I learned not to (from my then 16 year old ha) thankyou!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:14 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I agree . Since 8 years old my dad taught me to pronounce the V in "por favor" it was only last year I learned not to (from my then 16 year old ha) thankyou!

why wouldn't you say the V?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lynnxa

why wouldn't you say the V?
it is pronounced POHR fah-BOHR in some places :-p lol

Last edited by justjo76; Aug 21st 2012 at 8:29 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:29 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

it is pronounced POHR fah-BOHR
ahhhhhhhh who taught your 16 year old that?

was s/he taught to say Votella de Bino?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lynnxa
ahhhhhhhh who taught your 16 year old that?

was s/he taught to say Votella de Bino?

Not sure about Votella de Bino but I will ask lol bottle of wine seriously She corrected me on the pronunciations... said it depends. UUrrghh i don't want to move now :-p hmmm really.. something as simple as that could screw me over or can I learn a particular which would at least save my soul

i sense the sarcasm made my 12 year old laugh anyway lol... no, she was taught Vino and FavoR (pronounced faBor in some places

Last edited by justjo76; Aug 21st 2012 at 8:41 pm. Reason: need to add :)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.