Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

child car seats

child car seats

Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:12 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute
Default child car seats

Hi there,
We're flying into Murcia for a week with my father at half term. 'We' includes three children (2, 4 and 6). What is the law regarding child seats? The car rental lot want £100 for one child seat and two boosters.

Thanks
T
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: child car seats

By law children are not allowed to sit in the front seat of a car until the age of 12 unless they are in an approved child seat or restraint. Seat belts are compulsory for the driver and all passengers in the car.
Small children must use child safety seats.

In practice the child sits on the drivers lap or stands in the passenger footwell

I don't have any children. But if I had it wouldn't matter what the law said.
Get them strapped in. What's £100 compared to a childs life?

As an afterthought. You could always bring your own child seat and boosters. I'm sure I've seen people use them on aircraft seats.

Last edited by big wheels; Jan 26th 2009 at 11:05 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:15 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Big Squeals,
We'd like to buy them out there but would have to do the journey from and to the airport without leaving them with my father. We'll be visiting regularly over the next ten years with same issues but don't want a huge fine from angry policeman so want to know where we stand. You are right about the £100 being cheap for their lives of course. But still, Murcia to Torrevieja - what could go wrong...

T
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:37 am
!hola!

tednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by treskillard
Thanks Big Squeals,
We'd like to buy them out there but would have to do the journey from and to the airport without leaving them with my father. We'll be visiting regularly over the next ten years with same issues but don't want a huge fine from angry policeman so want to know where we stand. You are right about the £100 being cheap for their lives of course. But still, Murcia to Torrevieja - what could go wrong...

T
I usually travel with my car seat, but last year flew hand luggage only so decided to rent the car seat with the rental company and, like you said, it cost an absolute fortune! I was looking in Halfords yesterday at the "gadgets" to ensure a seatbelt fits over a child's shoulder correctly and was wondering if I could do my trip to and from the airport using one of those, but have a booster seat permanently in spain to use whilst there.

again ... would be interested in people's thoughts.
Sharon
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:56 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

But still, Murcia to Torrevieja - what could go wrong...

T
To coin a phrase

"Famous last words"

Some of the standard of driving over here leaves a lot to be desired, just dont risk it
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Big Squeals,

T
N332, no need to say more. it's just a long load of road works, the motorway isn't that safe, plenty of speeding drivers on it. Best to hire for this time but buy while here and keep them here for the next time. Guardia Civil Traffico are VERY active round here at the moment, don't know if they have a traffic blitz on, but I see them stopping cars every day.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:40 am
down under where

Originally Posted by mikelincs
N332, no need to say more. it's just a long load of road works, the motorway isn't that safe, plenty of speeding drivers on it. Best to hire for this time but buy while here and keep them here for the next time. Guardia Civil Traffico are VERY active round here at the moment, don't know if they have a traffic blitz on, but I see them stopping cars every day.
HI Mike you ol'yellowbelly
I agree but just want to know what the legal situation is.
Will I be fined if my kids (not the 2 year old) are on the back seat with seatbelts but no boosters. I would like to buy the seats and keep them there.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:45 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

HI Mike you ol'yellowbelly
I agree but just want to know what the legal situation is.
Will I be fined if my kids (not the 2 year old) are on the back seat with seatbelts but no boosters. I would like to buy the seats and keep them there.
If stopped, then the answer is YES, it is against the law, and they are very strict on this type of offence.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:09 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

There is a link in free beer
Look under seatbelts on this link
HERE
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:49 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Hi there,
We're flying into Murcia for a week with my father at half term. 'We' includes three children (2, 4 and 6). What is the law regarding child seats? The car rental lot want £100 for one child seat and two boosters.

Thanks
T
The law is the same in Spain as it is in the UK and the rest of the EU.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:14 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of the law or whether it is enforced properly it is the parents responsibility to ensure their childrens safety no matter what difficulties this entails for them. Children have the right to being protected at all times, even on holiday. There are no shortcuts to child safety.

Rosemary
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:14 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tednsharon
I usually travel with my car seat, but last year flew hand luggage only so decided to rent the car seat with the rental company and, like you said, it cost an absolute fortune! I was looking in Halfords yesterday at the "gadgets" to ensure a seatbelt fits over a child's shoulder correctly and was wondering if I could do my trip to and from the airport using one of those, but have a booster seat permanently in spain to use whilst there.

again ... would be interested in people's thoughts.
Sharon
When a car stops suddenly the person in the seat sinks down and forwards, that is why small people need a babyseat or a booster seat to stop them getting throttled as they would otherwise slide under the waist belt.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:48 am
!hola!

tednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jdr
When a car stops suddenly the person in the seat sinks down and forwards, that is why small people need a babyseat or a booster seat to stop them getting throttled as they would otherwise slide under the waist belt.
didn't realise that thank you. I wouldn't dream of putting jack in the car without his seat in england but the fee that some of the rental companies are charging is just ridiculous!:curse:
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:54 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tednsharon
didn't realise that thank you. I wouldn't dream of putting jack in the car without his seat in england but the fee that some of the rental companies are charging is just ridiculous!:curse:
I think they allow you to take them on the plane free as hand luggage or at least they did do, check with the airline though.
No charge for carseats where mrsjdr works. ;-))
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

A number of the car rental companies we have used ask you to sign a disclaimer when they give you the keys, that you will not be carrying any children under 12 in the car ...
I presume that means that you might be obliged to either rent their child seats or produce your own when collecting the vehicle ...
Can't help any further as we haven't travelled recently with young children.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.