British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Child Abducted (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/child-abducted-449121/)

dazzle May 5th 2007 7:20 pm

Re: child abducted

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 4741805)
Neglectful parents are the lowest of the low in my book, having worked in this area for many years.

Rosemary

I well remember my parents ruby wedding party. The whole extended family were booked into a hotel for a weekend with a dinner & dance on the Saturday.

I put my kids to bed and alerted the baby listening service. (my kids always slept well)

At about midnight i was called over the tannoy to reception. I knew one of the kids had woken up and left immediately.

My daughter who was about 3 at the time had woken up but rather than sit there crying, she had let herself out of the room and made her way down to reception where we were in the habit of meeting up!

Of course we weren't there and so she had become very distressed. Luckily the reception staff were superb and no harm came to her!

Maybe this story makes me a neglectful parent, certainly I felt like one at the time! No doubt about it we were lucky!

So I say again, my heart goes out to them. They thought their kids were safe, they got it wrong with catastrophic consequences and no punishment nor anything you, I or anyone else can say can have any impact after what they're going through at this time!

I just think it serves no purpose to condemn them at this time - except perhaps to allow others to congratulate themselves for being better parents!

MnM May 5th 2007 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 4741810)
Blame and accusations are not healthy but the parents have a moral and legal obligation to protect their child and they failed miserably.

Rosemary

Rosemary, that may or may not be the case. We don't have all the facts.

I don't know and I don't care right now. What I do care about is what this child and her parents are going through and I wish there was a way to help. I feel that negative comments are definitely not the way to go.

I won't say anything more on this subject except that I hope tonight and every night, until this child is found, that people's prayers and positive thoughts are with her and her parents.

Martha

Lionda May 5th 2007 7:30 pm

I can't even imagine the anguish of the parents. I wouldn't even leave my children alone in the pram outside a shop, if I couldn't take the pram in I left the pram and took the children in (only 13 months between them and not easy when they were very young) On holidays we couldn't stay out late because they fell asleep early - often at the dinner table :p I still worry about them and they are 29 and 30!!

Rosemary May 5th 2007 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lionda (Post 4741882)
I can't even imagine the anguish of the parents. I wouldn't even leave my children alone in the pram outside a shop, if I couldn't take the pram in I left the pram and took the children in (only 13 months between them and not easy when they were very young) On holidays we couldn't stay out late because they fell asleep early - often at the dinner table :p I still worry about them and they are 29 and 30!!

Exactly. You are a caring and protective parent.

Rosemary

Rosemary May 5th 2007 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by MnM (Post 4741860)

I don't know and I don't care right now. What I do care about is what this child and her parents are going through and I wish there was a way to help. I feel that negative comments are definitely not the way to go.

I won't say anything more on this subject except that I hope tonight and every night, until this child is found, that people's prayers and positive thoughts are with her and her parents.

Martha

But there would not be any need for people to be wishing the best for the child if the parents had not been neglectful in the first place. Added to that they would not be going through the anguish if they had been good parents instead of selfish parents.

Rosemary

Rosemary May 5th 2007 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by MnM (Post 4741860)

Martha

I thought that I would come in on this thread.
Try living with a wife who was frequently in tears because the children she has to work with have been abused, sexually abused, neglected, raped, you name it. Meet people who have been abused from babies until your wife has created an adolescent who can tell the authorities about their life and get someone jailed and out of harms way, you may change your mind about parents who leave two two year olds and a three year to fend for themselves. This is called reality, not the namby pamby lets worry about the people who caused it. For years I have lived with this reality, a wife who is desperate to help the kids and the parents. I have a wife that has done this and no one can be more proud than I am. All I will say is get real to what is happening in this world, protect your kids don't pretend everything will be ok.
Sorry about the rant.
Graham.

dazzle May 5th 2007 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 4741894)
But there would not be any need for people to be wishing the best for the child if the parents had not been neglectful in the first place. Added to that they would not be going through the anguish if they had been good parents instead of selfish parents.

Rosemary

Hang on a minute, they thought they were being good parents, kids tucked up 'safely' in bed, going back to check on them every half hour!

Whether you or I would have done the same doesn't matter, they made a decision that turned out to be wrong and they will have to live with that for the rest of their lives! It almost feels as though you're saying 'they deserved it'!!

Lets not forget here, that the reason we are discussing this, is because we are so shocked and the reason we are so shocked is because thes sort of events are so rare!

I go back to my original point that responsibility should lie fairly and squarely with the perpetrator/s of this terrible crime!!

I wonder how many parents have done something similar - of course with such a judgemental attitude prevailing it would take a brave sole to come on and admit it wouldn't it?

Rosemary May 5th 2007 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by dazzle (Post 4741979)
Hang on a minute, they thought they were being good parents, kids tucked up 'safely' in bed, going back to check on them every half hour!

Whether you or I would have done the same doesn't matter, they made a decision that turned out to be wrong and they will have to live with that for the rest of their lives! It almost feels as though you're saying 'they deserved it'!!

Lets not forget here, that the reason we are discussing this, is because we are so shocked and the reason we are so shocked is because thes sort of events are so rare!

I go back to my original point that responsibility should lie fairly and squarely with the perpetrator/s of this terrible crime!!

I wonder how many parents have done something similar - of course with such a judgemental attitude prevailing it would take a brave sole to come on and admit it wouldn't it?

No, what I am saying is that all children deserve and should receive protection from their parents.

Rosemary

dazzle May 5th 2007 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 4741986)
No, hat I am saying is that all children deserve and should receive protection from their parents.

Rosemary

Of course I would agree with that wholeheartedly but parents are human and it is a fact of life that we will let them down, we can't help it but for most of us, thankfully, it will be in small ways and will not have such devastating consequences.

I just cannot agree that an otherwise good/loving parent who makes an error of judgement is in the same league as a child abuser such as the ones you describe.

In this case the abuser is quite clearly the person who abducted the child, to place the blame on the parents would signal otherwise and that's a very dangerous road to go down!

Rosemary May 5th 2007 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by dazzle (Post 4742016)
Of course I would agree with that wholeheartedly but parents are human and it is a fact of life that we will let them down, we can't help it but for most of us, thankfully, it will be in small ways and will not have such devastating consequences.

I just cannot agree that an otherwise good/loving parent who makes an error of judgement is in the same league as a child abuser such as the ones you describe.

In this case the abuser is quite clearly the person who abducted the child, to place the blame on the parents would signal otherwise and that's a very dangerous road to go down!

It is a difference of opinion, that will not be resolved here. The good/loving parents is a presumption I believe on your part. Leaving your very young children alone in a hotel room is the act of, being charitable, stupidity. To not blame the parents is absolving them from their parental responsibility and if you do not want that responsibility don't have children.
Graham

lynnxa May 5th 2007 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by dazzle (Post 4741979)

NO!!

the perpetrator would not have had the opportunity if the children had not been left alone!!

I have never left my children alone..now nearly 8 & 11........the 11 year old is only recently left alone for half an hour or so, at home, with a neighbour knowing & keeping a discrete eye out (dd has no idea;) )

I would never leave the two of them

Rosemary May 5th 2007 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 4742069)
NO!!

the perpetrator would not have had the opportunity if the children had not been left alone!!

I have never left my children alone..now nearly 8 & 11........the 11 year old is only recently left alone for half an hour or so, at home, with a neighbour knowing & keeping a discrete eye out (dd has no idea;) )

Good for you. an example of good parenting as with JeanC and Lionda so Karma to you too.

Rosemary

dazzle May 5th 2007 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 4742064)
It is a difference of opinion, that will not be resolved here. The good/loving parents is a presumption I believe on your part.
Graham

A presumption on my part it may well be, but if that is the case does it not have to be said that taking the opposite view is a presumption on your part?

But I will leave it here as I've no wish to take part in the character assassination of a couple who I have never met nor, know the first thing about!

I bid you goodnight!

Rosemary May 5th 2007 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by dazzle (Post 4742122)
A presumption on my part it may well be, but if that is the case does it not have to be said that taking the opposite view is a presumption on your part?

But I will leave it here as I've no wish to take part in the character assassination of a couple who I have never met nor, know the first thing about!

I bid you goodnight!

Goodnight

Graham

TruBrit May 5th 2007 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 4742069)
NO!!

yep, i agree with you ...that's karma worthy for sure ;)