British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Chiclana - Scarey (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/chiclana-scarey-394085/)

Chiclanagir Sep 1st 2006 11:29 am

Chiclana - Scarey

Very scarey last evening. I was at the bottom of our little road and noticed a very small fire in the garden of the abandoned house, luckily a man was going past at the time so I got him to call the firebrigade but within minutes the whole garden was ablaze with flames reaching high into the sky and heading up our road consuming trees as they went at an alarming speed with us at the top of the road. At the last minute the wind changed direction and it moved slightly away from us but a house opposite was starting to smoulder and there is a big line of conifers in front of it and if they had caught it would have just jumped over into ours. It took the firemen a few hours to get it out and the worrying thing is that they have to keep going away to get more water! Anyway it is reported in the Diario de Cadiz today.

cindyp Sep 3rd 2006 9:42 pm

Re: Chiclana - Scarey

Blimey Glynis, you had a lucky escape there...

When we were over in July there was a big fire towards the Conil lighthouse the helicopters were trying to put it out and were scooping water out of what I assume was a nearby lake and flying over to the fire and dropping it on it, but it didn't seem to be making much difference. We wondered why they weren't scooping the bucket into the sea as it was nearer but maybe it's too windy or dangerous over the sea -or maybe too many people in it at the time for a helicopter to chance it, I don't know.

but there sure have been a lot of fires in the area this summer.

poollounger Sep 4th 2006 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by cindyp
Blimey Glynis, you had a lucky escape there...

When we were over in July there was a big fire towards the Conil lighthouse the helicopters were trying to put it out and were scooping water out of what I assume was a nearby lake and flying over to the fire and dropping it on it, but it didn't seem to be making much difference. We wondered why they weren't scooping the bucket into the sea as it was nearer but maybe it's too windy or dangerous over the sea -or maybe too many people in it at the time for a helicopter to chance it, I don't know.

but there sure have been a lot of fires in the area this summer.

I met some people at San Andres Golf in Colorado in August who had the fire burn part of their hedge. I was rather drunk at a party at their house so cannot remember the exact details but I believe the wind changed direction and stopped it just in time. The had hoped it would burn the house down so they could re- build it in a different style !!!!

poollounger Sep 5th 2006 7:04 am

Having had aspersions laid on my character, and implications that I had arrived drunk at a strangers party ( see previous post) by a fellow forumite, I would like to state that I am currently on a fat, alcochol and chocolate free diet, managing to spurn all temptation laid in my path, well at least the edible kind. This relates to a new thread I am initiating entitled 'Can a paunch ever look sexy ??' As to the social dilemma about drunken arrival at a party, I believe that is sometimes the only way to survive certain parties, however on this occasion I was certainly only drunk on departure and NOT on arrival.
;) ;) ;)

dazzle Sep 5th 2006 10:10 am

Originally Posted by poollounger
Having had aspersions laid on my character, and implications that I had arrived drunk at a strangers party ( see previous post) by a fellow forumite,
;) ;) ;)

I am surprised that anyone would cast such aspersions about you PL !!

Chiclanagir Sep 5th 2006 10:42 am

Originally Posted by poollounger
Having had aspersions laid on my character, and implications that I had arrived drunk at a strangers party ( see previous post) by a fellow forumite, I would like to state that I am currently on a fat, alcochol and chocolate free diet, managing to spurn all temptation laid in my path, well at least the edible kind. This relates to a new thread I am initiating entitled 'Can a paunch ever look sexy ??' As to the social dilemma about drunken arrival at a party, I believe that is sometimes the only way to survive certain parties, however on this occasion I was certainly only drunk on departure and NOT on arrival.
;) ;) ;)

I think it is when your speech starts to slur and there aint a thing you can do about it!! Except apologise next day. Didn´t Rod Stewart sing a song entitled, "Don´t you think a paunch is sexy"?

Lynn R Sep 5th 2006 11:32 am

Purely to save you the bother of starting the new thread, you understand, my considered opinion would be no it can't! :)

And I speak as one whose partner has a fine example. Try as I might I can't motivate him to try to lose it.

poollounger Sep 5th 2006 11:59 am

Perhaps another business venture for Glynis ?? Chiclana branch of Weight Watchers?? But for local residents only please, I never stint myself when on holiday, no matter what people may cast at at me Dazzle......