Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Chiclana flooding / El Masquerado

Chiclana flooding / El Masquerado

Old Sep 24th 2015, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Keith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chiclana flooding / El Masquerado

Hi folks, I had some very helpful replies last time around. Although I have done some research and have visited the area did anyone experience or have knowledge about the last floods in Chiclana ? I am particularly interested in Masquerado area. Cheers again.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chiclana flooding / El Masquerado

You could contact CHIFRA .... Chiclana Foreign Residents Association, Dxf on here he can point you in the right direction.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 10:32 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we lived here then, it was about 6 or 7 years ago and, from memory, it rained practically every day from October/November to March. In 11 years that´s the first and only time we´ve seen it that bad. It was the whole of the area, not just Chiclana that was affected. As TCW said, hopefully Dxf will come on and correct me if I´m wrong. He and I live an opposite sides of the town, with me living near El Marquesado.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 1:16 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith1963
Hi folks, I had some very helpful replies last time around. Although I have done some research and have visited the area did anyone experience or have knowledge about the last floods in Chiclana ? I am particularly interested in Masquerado area. Cheers again.
Hola

The Marquesado floods were more of a mud slide from what I was told. The mudslide took walls down and filled wells.

It was the winter 2009 / 2010 and was the cause of flood plains being added to the PGOU town plan.

Whilst I have pictures of the floods in Chiclana, as well as memories, I don´t for Marquesado but will be meeting a builder tonight who did extensive repairs to a property at that time so if I get a minute during the birthday celebrations, I'll ask

Davexf

Last edited by Dxf; Sep 24th 2015 at 1:17 pm. Reason: typo
Old Sep 24th 2015, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Keith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much all of you, and yes Dave if you get a chance please do, and happy birthday.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 9:44 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Apart from the mudslide, some properties had three feet of water!!! some of the damage is shown on the website "Chiclana Property maintenance" if you want to Google it.

Davexf
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Those pictures looks bit ' distressing ' to say the least.
Thanks again � ����
Old Sep 25th 2015, 11:40 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hola it was a "once in a hundred years storm" but served to wake people up to the fact that the drainage ditches really should be maintained !!!
Davexf
Old Sep 27th 2015, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

I take it the ditches are the responsibility of those people living near them Dave ?
Old Sep 27th 2015, 11:52 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hola

In general, if not clearing the ditches would cause problems for other people and the Ayuntamiento thinks it might come in for some flack, then the Ayuntamiento often clear them, but in the main, the local neighbourhood association clears the ditches of non "Andalucian" roads (roads like A2032) .

Beware of taking unilateral action and doing it yourself as you may come under fire if someone gets flooded - if they think they can get money from you, then they will "try it on"

Davexf
Old Sep 27th 2015, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again Dave, all very helpful, will be sourcing a lawyer in the next week for our proposed purchase, may well go local and independent from what I have read covering LFO and flooding issues, illegal builds etc. A bit of a minefield but I remain positive we can purchase successfully, thanks again.

Last edited by Keith1963; Sep 27th 2015 at 12:03 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 27th 2015, 12:12 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hola

The ChiFRA lawyer speaks excellent English and comes highly recommended. The information is on the ChiFRA website. Remember that the Chiclana Ayuntamiento website has a link to the very large town plan so things like flood plains are clearly out in the open

Davexf