Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Chiclana - electric

Chiclana - electric

Old Oct 18th 2005, 4:49 pm
  #121  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 99
cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future
Default Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by glynis
Ah Poollounger, I went for a walk on beach at Sancti Petri on Sunday with my dog and stopped at that chiringuito for a beer. It was lovely and I saw that they do caribean food - have you had any? Definitely will try the cocktail now. Do you know how to get to the spit of sand on the other side of the harbour?

On the electric subject - heard today that it has been agreed that all properties will be made legal except the ones in the white zones!!
Hiya Glynis and Poollounger

I've not stopped at the sancti Petri chiringuito yet, is it the one called the Bongo (or nearby to it?), just before you get into the main bit? Or is it right at the end near to the marina? We are over at the end of October with some friends, is it likely to still be open at the end of October? I know that a lot of places shut up shop completely by then... but old Sancti Petri is so lovely it would be nice to know that's somewhere we can stop off at - and that drink you describe sounds like I just have to try it, poollounger.

And before I go off thread completely, we have just been trying to get our potentia increased - due to holiday guests having circuits pop on them from time to time when trying to cook. Blimey it's a palaver but probably more so because Endessa are obviously very busy with enquiries from people just trying to get a basic supply sorted out. But think we may now have cracked it but it's 114 euro just to increase the rating and I don't think that even included the electrician coming in to put a new limiter on....But hey ho, we need it so there you go.

Cheers all!

Cindy
cindyp is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:43 pm
  #122  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 10
scottie 50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Chiclana - electric

Can any one recommend where we can lease a post box. If and when we do
get a meter we will need an address for our bills.
We live in Rana Verda also interested in visiting the bar mentioned in sancti petri beside the harbour can you give directions how to get there.

Thank You
scottie 50 is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:51 pm
  #123  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: UK/Costa Luz
Posts: 399
dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all
Default Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by scottie 50
Can any one recommend where we can lease a post box. If and when we do
get a meter we will need an address for our bills.
We live in Rana Verda also interested in visiting the bar mentioned in sancti petri beside the harbour can you give directions how to get there.

Thank You
Theirs a mailbox place in La Barrosa, i think it's called something like Mailboxes etc. It's in that little precinct in the centre that is up some stirs.

Some Venta's have them. Venta Florin being one of them but the last time I heard (a few months ago) they were all taken. Might be worth a try though.

Mind you a friend of mine posted herself a letter to her mailbox just so she'd have some post. She never received it - you know you're struggling when you don't even get letters from yourself!!!!
dazzle is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:10 pm
  #124  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26
Barrosa Brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by scottie 50
Can any one recommend where we can lease a post box. If and when we do
get a meter we will need an address for our bills.
We live in Rana Verda also interested in visiting the bar mentioned in sancti petri beside the harbour can you give directions how to get there.

Thank You
Hello Scottie 50
We use Mailboxes Etc in La Barrosa in CC Miramar, across from La Union. They are very nice there and also have an internet setup in the basement. They receive packages and over sized post and we have never had anything go missing. Also, Endesa take a direct debit from your bank, then you receive a statement showing what you were billed, so really very easy. Are you going to be here year round?
Barrosa Brit is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:33 pm
  #125  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 10
scottie 50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by Barrosa Brit
Hello Scottie 50
We use Mailboxes Etc in La Barrosa in CC Miramar, across from La Union. They are very nice there and also have an internet setup in the basement. They receive packages and over sized post and we have never had anything go missing. Also, Endesa take a direct debit from your bank, then you receive a statement showing what you were billed, so really very easy. Are you going to be here year round?
Thanks a lot for your quick reply. At the moment our property is just for holidays however we hope to move over permanently in 3 years. Hopefully by then we will have an electric meter.
scottie 50 is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:40 pm
  #126  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 10
scottie 50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by dazzle
Theirs a mailbox place in La Barrosa, i think it's called something like Mailboxes etc. It's in that little precinct in the centre that is up some stirs.

Some Venta's have them. Venta Florin being one of them but the last time I heard (a few months ago) they were all taken. Might be worth a try though.

Mind you a friend of mine posted herself a letter to her mailbox just so she'd have some post. She never received it - you know you're struggling when you don't even get letters from yourself!!!!
Thanks for your quick reply. We have been advised that when we eventually get an electricity bill it is taken staight from our bank account. Therefor having a mail box is not such a priority. as it will be around 3 years before we can move out permanently.
Thanks Again
scottie 50 is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:19 am
  #127  
Not Junior but not Senior
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,052
poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Post Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by cindyp
Hiya Glynis and Poollounger

I've not stopped at the sancti Petri chiringuito yet, is it the one called the Bongo (or nearby to it?), just before you get into the main bit? Or is it right at the end near to the marina? We are over at the end of October with some friends, is it likely to still be open at the end of October? I know that a lot of places shut up shop completely by then... but old Sancti Petri is so lovely it would be nice to know that's somewhere we can stop off at - and that drink you describe sounds like I just have to try it, poollounger.

And before I go off thread completely, we have just been trying to get our potentia increased - due to holiday guests having circuits pop on them from time to time when trying to cook. Blimey it's a palaver but probably more so because Endessa are obviously very busy with enquiries from people just trying to get a basic supply sorted out. But think we may now have cracked it but it's 114 euro just to increase the rating and I don't think that even included the electrician coming in to put a new limiter on....But hey ho, we need it so there you go.

Cheers all!

Cindy
As you drive down to the harbour it's on the left... the Coca Cola flags mark the spot. But I am not posting details of anymore finds as I dont want them overrun by expats!! It stays open till sunset at the moment, but till 2 am apparently in the summer. Aren't the beaches in the area great??? just wish the water was warmer....some 15 years ago exploring the coastline by bus I camped on the beach at Zahara....further east past Conil..hadn't planned to and had just thrown the tent in the suitcase in case of an emergency. Campsite was full, but they suggested a few yards away on the beach. At night we zipped our suitcases into the tent, took valuables, sneaked into the campsite for showers etc, used their excellent restaurant that even took Visa card. The beach is still the same with a bit more building....I looked last week. Ah to be young again......
poollounger is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:24 am
  #128  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: UK/Costa Luz
Posts: 399
dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all
Default Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by poollounger
....some 15 years ago exploring the coastline by bus I camped on the beach at Zahara....further east past Conil..hadn't planned to and had just thrown the tent in the suitcase in case of an emergency. Campsite was full, but they suggested a few yards away on the beach. At night we zipped our suitcases into the tent, took valuables, sneaked into the campsite for showers etc, used their excellent restaurant that even took Visa card. The beach is still the same with a bit more building....I looked last week. Ah to be young again......

Are you mad? You've just bought a lovely villa in the sun and you'd go back to sleeping on the beach???......Yeah Right!!!
dazzle is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:07 pm
  #129  
Not Junior but not Senior
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,052
poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by dazzle
Are you mad? You've just bought a lovely villa in the sun and you'd go back to sleeping on the beach???......Yeah Right!!!
Dazzle, I think madness goes with buying a villa in Spain according to this forum. My bones prefer a nice comfy mattress now, but the carefreeness was what I was remembering so nostalgically. I also have a small but pretty boat here in England but remember those first days and the excitement of sailing a clapped out dinghy . I guess it gets more difficult to find new experiences to thrill in the same way...and no lewd comments from forumites please..
poollounger is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:09 pm
  #130  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: UK/Costa Luz
Posts: 399
dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all
Default Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by poollounger
Dazzle, I think madness goes with buying a villa in Spain according to this forum. My bones prefer a nice comfy mattress now, but the carefreeness was what I was remembering so nostalgically. I also have a small but pretty boat here in England but remember those first days and the excitement of sailing a clapped out dinghy . I guess it gets more difficult to find new experiences to thrill in the same way...and no lewd comments from forumites please..

Aaah poollounger, I do believe you're getting old!!!!
dazzle is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:15 pm
  #131  
Not Junior but not Senior
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,052
poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by dazzle
Aaah poollounger, I do believe you're getting old!!!!
Right dazzle... that's prompted me to get off my butt and head down to the gym....and it's Argentinian tango tonight as well so i guess I am not so jaded after all...incidentally I was lpeased to see a poster offering Tango classes and salons in Chiclana. can anyone tell me where El Sotillo is and if they offer regular flamenco shows?? are they good or commercial ??
poollounger is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:26 pm
  #132  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 99
cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future
Default Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by poollounger
As you drive down to the harbour it's on the left... the Coca Cola flags mark the spot. But I am not posting details of anymore finds as I dont want them overrun by expats!! It stays open till sunset at the moment, but till 2 am apparently in the summer. Aren't the beaches in the area great??? just wish the water was warmer....some 15 years ago exploring the coastline by bus I camped on the beach at Zahara....further east past Conil..hadn't planned to and had just thrown the tent in the suitcase in case of an emergency. Campsite was full, but they suggested a few yards away on the beach. At night we zipped our suitcases into the tent, took valuables, sneaked into the campsite for showers etc, used their excellent restaurant that even took Visa card. The beach is still the same with a bit more building....I looked last week. Ah to be young again......
Hi Poollounger

When I told my husband about the beach bar his reaction was similar - will it be overrun by ex-pats? It's a fine line isn't it, we all love the area because it's spanish and not a british enclave but there is a wish to share 'insider info' which makes the experience richer...without compromising the very thing that makes it the place we all want to be....
cindyp is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:12 pm
  #133  
jjh
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: La Saucedilla, Chiclana
Posts: 920
jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by cindyp
Hi Poollounger

When I told my husband about the beach bar his reaction was similar - will it be overrun by ex-pats? It's a fine line isn't it, we all love the area because it's spanish and not a british enclave but there is a wish to share 'insider info' which makes the experience richer...without compromising the very thing that makes it the place we all want to be....
Good on you Cindy. We've been here over a year and we've found that so many brits are moving into the area. I'm sorry to have to say but ex-pats are bound to be a part of your life but, thankfully, not the same as the CDS. Let's share our experiences.
jjh is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:38 pm
  #134  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 99
cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future
Default Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by jjh
Good on you Cindy. We've been here over a year and we've found that so many brits are moving into the area. I'm sorry to have to say but ex-pats are bound to be a part of your life but, thankfully, not the same as the CDS. Let's share our experiences.
Hiya, JJh,

I may have given the wrong impression here, if it wasn't for ex-pats that I've met or professionals who speak English (as my spanish is very beginner level at the moment, but learning) we would never have managed to buy in Chiclana in the first place. So I'm grateful and I like the fact that there are English people there, I know when we make the final move from the UK, I'm going to welcome there being people around that speak English and who know what's what and where's where .

I wouldn't have joined this forum if I didn't want to meet and be in touch with people who have been there, done that and I'd love to meet fellow forum members in the area for a beer and a catch up. It gives you a bit of a 'comfort zone' when you are trying to find your way in a new place.

But like many fellow members, we also want to try and integrate and become part of the community and not set ourselves apart and only mix with brits, only speak british and only make british friends, and frequent 'british' venues the whole time, otherwise we might as well stay in the UK. Which, as you rightly say, is what has happened on parts of the CDS, it's just little Britain, in spain. And unfortunately some of it is the bit of the UK that the rest of us are trying to get away from. :scared:

Most of the chiclana brits I've met or been in touch with seem to be looking for a similar thing... a small comfort zone but also to welcome the new experiences and a change of lifestyle. And I do envy you and the others who are already there and living the life. So yeah, I'm more than happy for other ex-pats to be part of my life, and truth be known, I think I need them at the moment more than they need me....

take care

Cindy
cindyp is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:06 pm
  #135  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 99
cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by poollounger
Right dazzle... that's prompted me to get off my butt and head down to the gym....and it's Argentinian tango tonight as well so i guess I am not so jaded after all...incidentally I was lpeased to see a poster offering Tango classes and salons in Chiclana. can anyone tell me where El Sotillo is and if they offer regular flamenco shows?? are they good or commercial ??
RE El Sotillo

I picked up a german mag called Cadizfornia from a pub (you can get them in hotels too ) and it has an aerial photo of Novo Sancti Petri/Barossa with places marked on it. El Sotillo is marked on it, difficult to describe where. If I can put attachments on pm's I can send you a pdf copy of it and you can see where it is. There is a website elsotillo.com but that doesn't give a map either and the location description is vague - 2 miles from Barossa beach.....

I haven't been there myself but would like to go, sounds good. I think it's wednesday evenings only up til end of October. 37 euro per person.

cindy
cindyp is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.