Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Chiclana - electric

Chiclana - electric

Old Aug 4th 2005, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice
Default Re: Chiclana - electric

Under the Andalusian Land Law of 2003 Endesa can be fined if they supply/work on ANY "illegal" building. If the building is not legal therefore no new legal electricty supply.

Best
Loco

Originally Posted by flamingo
Can anyone confirm 100% that you need to be in the urbanised or planned urbanised area to get an official electricity meter from Endesa.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

mrs teapot will become famous soon enough

A friendly hello from a new poster.

I've just been reading on this forum horror stories about Chiclana regarding scams and illegal electric etc. Now I am horrified. After many months and many hours of endless researching the area I want to buy in I finally decided on Chiclana or areas of coast either side or nearby. I decided before I approached any estate agents to check out local ex pat info as I'm worried about possibility of illegal estate agents, but I wasn't prepared for land and electric problems! I am very sorry for all of you involved. . How on earth do you begin to sort those sorts of problems out?!

Can I ask for any recommended estate agents or any stories of any bogus estate agents in the area?

Many thanks in advance. nb: I am looking at properties within walking distance of the coast (in case land or electric problems are within those areas).

Mrs teapot
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Barrosa Brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Chiclana - electric

Originally Posted by mrs teapot
A friendly hello from a new poster.

I've just been reading on this forum horror stories about Chiclana regarding scams and illegal electric etc. Now I am horrified. After many months and many hours of endless researching the area I want to buy in I finally decided on Chiclana or areas of coast either side or nearby. I decided before I approached any estate agents to check out local ex pat info as I'm worried about possibility of illegal estate agents, but I wasn't prepared for land and electric problems! I am very sorry for all of you involved. . How on earth do you begin to sort those sorts of problems out?!

Can I ask for any recommended estate agents or any stories of any bogus estate agents in the area?

Many thanks in advance. nb: I am looking at properties within walking distance of the coast (in case land or electric problems are within those areas).

Mrs teapot
Hi Mrs teapot
Don't give up on this area, Chiclana is a great place to live, just check thinks out yourself, or pick an area that is already urbanized. There is a lot of good advise posted on various forums. There are good solicitors and agents out there, just are there are in the UK, just follow the advise of checking electric out yourself with Endesa to make sure you have a contact for electric. Also the closer you are to the beach, most of that is urbanized already. Good Luck.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Just a tip, Mrs Teapot (love the name) that if you are too near Barossa you will find it very noisy in July and August right through most of the night. The Spanish really know how to party!!!

Be very wary of estate agents here.

Are you looking for a permanent or holiday home?

There was also a little bit in Sur this week, I quote:

Chiclana

The Town Hall has denied permission to legalise more than a thousand homes in the area, which were on land not designated for building. The refusal to legalise homes also means that banks are unable to provide the owners with mortgages. The electricity company, endesa, has also stopped supplying energy to illegal connections. This is the beginning of the clamp-down on uncontrolled construction in the area.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

mrs teapot will become famous soon enough

Thank you to Glynis and Barossa Brit for replying.

Interesting to hear about the Spanish partying all night in July and August. This is why I wanted to physically go to the area I chose during the busiest summer months to see what it is really like. All estate agents are offering, ha, 'inspection tours' from Sept onwards - just when its nice and quiet again! Its a bit like viewing a house in this country - I've always advocated going back on a Friday/Saturday night and sussing the locality!

When you say Barrossa do you mean the stretch of beach? How do I know I've found a reputable Estate Agent? Is using the Web to source Estate Agents okay?

Its a holiday home for me and the young family - I would use it about 10 weeks of the year then rent it cheaply to friends/family rest of the time. Because of health reasons within my nearest family i need it to be sunny and warm most of the year round - no sharp drops in temperature (though i appreiciate it can happen occasionally). I need to be walkable to the beach. I would maybe consider inland a bit if there was a decent size communal pool for everyone who is going to use it. (some are built like postage stamps to share between 100's of apartments!!).

I wanted an area that wasn't Lager, lager, lager (though I am partial to the odd drink myself) and english pubs and english breakfasts throughout.

Any suggestions?
Thanks again for your reply.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrs teapot
Thank you to Glynis and Barossa Brit for replying.

Interesting to hear about the Spanish partying all night in July and August. This is why I wanted to physically go to the area I chose during the busiest summer months to see what it is really like. All estate agents are offering, ha, 'inspection tours' from Sept onwards - just when its nice and quiet again! Its a bit like viewing a house in this country - I've always advocated going back on a Friday/Saturday night and sussing the locality!

When you say Barrossa do you mean the stretch of beach? How do I know I've found a reputable Estate Agent? Is using the Web to source Estate Agents okay?

Its a holiday home for me and the young family - I would use it about 10 weeks of the year then rent it cheaply to friends/family rest of the time. Because of health reasons within my nearest family i need it to be sunny and warm most of the year round - no sharp drops in temperature (though i appreiciate it can happen occasionally). I need to be walkable to the beach. I would maybe consider inland a bit if there was a decent size communal pool for everyone who is going to use it. (some are built like postage stamps to share between 100's of apartments!!).

I wanted an area that wasn't Lager, lager, lager (though I am partial to the odd drink myself) and english pubs and english breakfasts throughout.

Any suggestions?
Thanks again for your reply.
We have two apartments in La Barrosa and it is by no means a larger lout area so no need to worry about that. The Spanish live the Spanish way of life which means siestas and staying up until about 2am which is the best way to live in the Summer months. I would not say the area is very noisy, it is not a night club area. The only place I would really avoid it right on the beach front and the two roads behind it as this is where the bars/shops/restaurants are.

We have apartments on a complex which is mainly Spanish and love their way of life. They have never kept us up all night and we don't hear any noise from the beach which is only a 10 min walk away.

The place has a lovely buzz about it in August - we have been out there in every season and I really enjoy late August/Early Sept.

You may find www.Costa-Luz-Holiday.com helpful as this has over 400 holiday rentals located all over the Costa de la Luz on it.

Go out there, expect it to be Spanish and adopt their way of life for the duration of your holiday - you won't want to return!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

2 am - that is an early night for the Spanish in Summer. When we were in Barossa in an apartment on a holiday complex the noise went on until at least 4 am.....however unlike our British holidaymakers they are not louts and just like partying en familia not just getting drunk as quickly as possible.

I love the area of Roches but I believe prices are expensive and outside of July and August it is a ghost town as most of the places are owned by Spanish who only come in the summer.

Possibly look at places towards the port where you have to walk through the pine forest to get to the beach, that should be quieter.

Although we have our problems here it is still a lovely place to live. In January in El Colorado they hold a town fair and barbacue where everybody dresses up and eats and drinks. Absolutely brilliant.

Just be careful of estate agents on the web they will tell you what you want to hear! Ask for personal recommendations from people who live here who have had dealings. Unfortunately I can't recommend mine who advertises nationally! I can however recommend my builder for excellent workmanship, if you wanted a house away from the sea I would have recommended him as he is building a new house with pool near us and it has a legal electric meter!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glynis
2 am - that is an early night for the Spanish in Summer. When we were in Barossa in an apartment on a holiday complex the noise went on until at least 4 am.....however unlike our British holidaymakers they are not louts and just like partying en familia not just getting drunk as quickly as possible.

I love the area of Roches but I believe prices are expensive and outside of July and August it is a ghost town as most of the places are owned by Spanish who only come in the summer.

Possibly look at places towards the port where you have to walk through the pine forest to get to the beach, that should be quieter.

Although we have our problems here it is still a lovely place to live. In January in El Colorado they hold a town fair and barbacue where everybody dresses up and eats and drinks. Absolutely brilliant.

Just be careful of estate agents on the web they will tell you what you want to hear! Ask for personal recommendations from people who live here who have had dealings. Unfortunately I can't recommend mine who advertises nationally! I can however recommend my builder for excellent workmanship, if you wanted a house away from the sea I would have recommended him as he is building a new house with pool near us and it has a legal electric meter!
Hi glynis,

Like your comments about Roches. We have twice stayed in Conil (the Almadraba a great little hotel) and toured up the coast looking for a place to buy and we fell in love with Roches but the prices! We didn't see anything under 560,000 euros and without pools too so we had to move on, ended up at Costa Esuri.

There is a terrific restaurant right on the beach owned by the former Sevilla and Spanish goalkeeper and run by his two sons. We ate in there one night all on our own. The location is to die for but the house prices reflect that and the majority, quite properly, are Spanish owned and you get the dead feel outside July and August.

Regards,

John.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Aug 19th 2005 at 6:04 pm. Reason: Bad sub editing
Old Aug 20th 2005, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

steve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to all

Wow Glynis legal electricity in Pago buy that property quick anymore news flying about
cheers steve
Old Aug 20th 2005, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steve in pago
Wow Glynis legal electricity in Pago buy that property quick anymore news flying about
cheers steve
John & Kath
We often dine at the restaurant at Roches when we have friends - it really impresses them seeing the sun go down whilst eating on the cliff. The restaurant I think is called Timoron (or something similar). Didn't know about the footballer though, a little bit of interesting news to pass on whilst we eat!

Steve
The extension to the industrial centre could be below the bridge hump as you come into Pago from the Coca Cola factory as there is a great big sign there which is only really visible from the N340. That would be why the roads are going to be improved in October!
Old Aug 20th 2005, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

steve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to all

John & Kath
We often dine at the restaurant at Roches when we have friends - it really impresses them seeing the sun go down whilst eating on the cliff. The restaurant I think is called Timoron (or something similar). Didn't know about the footballer though, a little bit of interesting news to pass on whilst we eat!

Steve
The extension to the industrial centre could be below the bridge hump as you come into Pago from the Coca Cola factory as there is a great big sign there which is only really visible from the N340. That would be why the roads are going to be improved in October!

thanks for that Glynis will bell you when we come out again in december & go for that drink
Old Sep 19th 2005, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future

John & Kath

Steve
Just in case anyone wants to go there - it's called Timon de Roche and it's in the street called Inglaterra, at Roche. And I agree with you all, it's a lovely restaurant - we went there for my birthday in March, had a great time, lovely food, bottle of champagne and it still cost half the price it would have been in the UK.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi cindyp,

Spooky or what? I don't believe in the six degrees of separation but this thread has been moribund for weeks then last week I go to Ayamonte for three days.

I manage to pick up the August edition of the free paper The Guardiana which now circulates in the Chiclana area and the restaurant critic does her column on the El Timon de Roche. The verdict was good except for a surly waiter (perhaps they did not mention football) and the restaurant has an ad with all the best views in full colour.

Then you write in to give us a good report and the address. Thanks.

Regards,

John.

Originally Posted by cindyp
Just in case anyone wants to go there - it's called Timon de Roche and it's in the street called Inglaterra, at Roche. And I agree with you all, it's a lovely restaurant - we went there for my birthday in March, had a great time, lovely food, bottle of champagne and it still cost half the price it would have been in the UK.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

can anyone give me an idea of what to expect, pricewise?
Old Sep 19th 2005, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

More than your normal venta but still quite "do able". Another restaurant to try is in Arcos it is overlooking the lake and called something to do with the "three hats". Wonderful location, excellent food and service and cheap!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.