Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Chemotherapy treatment in Spain?

Chemotherapy treatment in Spain?

Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Red_48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Chemotherapy treatment in Spain?

My 64 year old father, who is a permanent resident of Gandia, Valencia, has recently undergone surgery to remove a cancerous tumour whilst he was visiting family in the UK.

He has been able to get regular Healthcare in Spain, as my Mother who is of retirement age has a SIP card that covers them both. However, I have read recently there have been a number of changes to the regions position on coverage for non retirement age residents;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/420...t-a-price.html

I would like to know if it is possible to continue my Fathers treatment, which we now understand may involve both chemotherapy and an ongoing drug program, back at his home in Marxuquera?

If this is possible, or anyone has any first hand experience of this, I would be very grateful indeed. We want him back in the sun ASAP!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:22 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chemotherapy treatment in Spain?

Originally Posted by Red_48
My 64 year old father, who is a permanent resident of Gandia, Valencia, has recently undergone surgery to remove a cancerous tumour whilst he was visiting family in the UK.

He has been able to get regular Healthcare in Spain, as my Mother who is of retirement age has a SIP card that covers them both. However, I have read recently there have been a number of changes to the regions position on coverage for non retirement age residents;

I would like to know if it is possible to continue my Fathers treatment, which we now understand may involve both chemotherapy and an ongoing drug program, back at his home in Marxuquera?

If this is possible, or anyone has any first hand experience of this, I would be very grateful indeed. We want him back in the sun ASAP!
As far as I know the rule has not changed there if you are already on the system if under pension age, but they should also be ok as they are a pensioner and a dependant and registered so will be covered by the Spanish system.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Chemotherapy treatment in Spain?

Originally Posted by Red_48

Does he have his own SIP card? they are issued in the name of one person and not shared.