Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

checking car tax

checking car tax

Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:53 am
Just Joined

chris3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default checking car tax

I have not received my car tax bill yet . Is there a site I can go to and check how much it will be . If so I can presumably print off the form and pay it when I want !?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:03 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: checking car tax

Originally Posted by chris3 View Post
I have not received my car tax bill yet . Is there a site I can go to and check how much it will be . If so I can presumably print off the form and pay it when I want !?
Just go to your nearest Suma office..
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:13 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Just go to your nearest Suma office..
Not if they don't collect the tax in your area!

Suma are a tax collection agency and only operate in some areas.

It's still too early - we haven't had ours yet either.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have SUMA, go to the recaudación office (cashier) in your Ayuntamiento and they will tell you.

I find it easier to stick everything on direct debit, bills from the Ayto often fail to materialise!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Late payments will incur fines. Much better to pay by direct debit and save problems and queueing in the bank.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think they are out until the 1st March?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you live.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:57 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

You guys get car tax bills?

Here, you must go to the tax office and ask. Otherwise, they never send a bill or any other collection notice.

In fact, many people here buy older used cars with the intention that they will never sell it (the only time you are forced to settle your car tax bill). When the car finally dies, just have it crushed (free of charge), and you never have to pay the tax. It's a very common practice here. Stupid system, but that's what people are allowed to get away with.

Because they never seem to proactively collect car tax here, I'm a little surprised that ITV doesn't check to see if tax has been paid before giving the ITV sticker. They check your insurance. Why not tax?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

The police never check tax either - always understood they just see it as their job and the system will catch up with you anyway - but obviously not in Mallorca!

The SUMA is an agency for Alicante only and in the grand scheme of things is a pretty efficient outfit IMO.

"Suma Gestión Tributaria (Suma) is a 100% public provincial agency set up by the Provincial Council of Alicante (Spain) in 1990. It specializes in tax administration: assessment, billing, collection and enforcement. Suma collects the taxes on behalf of each city council with own resources."
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:45 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

If you want to register a new car, or rematriculate an old one, then they will tell you how much to pay, even on the 2nd January !!!

Davexf
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: checking car tax

As I understand the law in Spain there is absolutly no obligation for the council to send out bills for any of their charges they don't seem to around here but you can go into the local office and they will print them off for you. It seems from looking at the local office website all our payments become due in July and we have to the end of September to avoid fine additions. For lots of areas the collector is Gestion Tributaria and their website is:-

www.sgth.es

and if you examine the site thoroughly you find that you can pay the bills weekly, monthly, quarterly,three times a year, twice a year or annually.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:08 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico View Post
The police never check tax either - always understood they just see it as their job and the system will catch up with you anyway - but obviously not in Mallorca!

The SUMA is an agency for Alicante only and in the grand scheme of things is a pretty efficient outfit IMO.

"Suma Gestión Tributaria (Suma) is a 100% public provincial agency set up by the Provincial Council of Alicante (Spain) in 1990. It specializes in tax administration: assessment, billing, collection and enforcement. Suma collects the taxes on behalf of each city council with own resources."
Penny wise, pound foolish?

Well, maybe they save 50 cents for every tax bill they don't send out. For example is there's 200K cars subject to tax, then they save €100K in collection costs (but unfortunately lose a few €million in tax collections). But the lost tax collections probably don't affect their budget, so why bother?

I noticed that the copy shop next to the Ajuntamento charges €1 for copying a document. The Ajuntamento, who very often require copies of documents, refuses to make any copies using the copy machine sitting at the desk - YOU must provide the copies, so the copy shop next door gets all the business. It's probably owned by the Ajuntamento chief.

Penny wise, pound foolish? Maybe not.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Penny wise, pound foolish?

Well, maybe they save 50 cents for every tax bill they don't send out. For example is there's 200K cars subject to tax, then they save €100K in collection costs (but unfortunately lose a few €million in tax collections). But the lost tax collections probably don't affect their budget, so why bother?

But the fines are cumulative .... so they get more €€€ in the end, when you come to sell the car!

It is one of the reasons why local government finance is such a mess though.

There is evidence of change however, they now deduct our IBI direct debit twice a year, instead of just once at the very end of the payment period. They are also hand-delivering late-payment notices, which they never did before.