Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cheap Parking Near Stansted ???

Cheap Parking Near Stansted ???

Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Cptnemo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheap Parking Near Stansted ???

Does anyone know of any on/off airport parking near Stansted - was shocked last time I flew from there that the car parking was more than Heathrow and much more than the return flights!!

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:15 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap Parking Near Stansted ???

Originally Posted by Cptnemo
Does anyone know of any on/off airport parking near Stansted - was shocked last time I flew from there that the car parking was more than Heathrow and much more than the return flights!!

Thanks in advance
Try pink elephant. I seem to remember they were quite reasonable and they have a courtesy bus to take you to the airport. I think that if you book in advance then it's a bit cheaper that if you just turn up.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jjh
Try pink elephant. I seem to remember they were quite reasonable and they have a courtesy bus to take you to the airport. I think that if you book in advance then it's a bit cheaper that if you just turn up.
#4.88 or #7.40 a day

I travel regularly and use "parking 4 les"s which is pink elephant parking. It costs seven pounds forty a day. There is another car park they deal with called Gateway but there is some doubt as to their legality as I think they were featured on the news, its just a big field and they keep your keys, transfers are only every 30 minutes too as opposed to pink elephant which is a proper organised car park and transfers are about every 10 mins. It is expensive but unless you have friends in the area, there is no decent alternative. Sometimes it costs more to park the car than fly to Spain! Very irritating. We have tried every option we can think of including overnight stays in B & Bs which include parking but at the end of the day it comes to the same amount and if you take the 7 a.m. flight the taxi costs eat up any saving and you have the added worry of whether it will turn up in time.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 19th 2015 at 6:36 pm. Reason: remove link per company request
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Cptnemo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by susique
#4.88 or #7.40 a day

I travel regularly and use parking for less which is pink elephant parking. It costs seven pounds forty a day. There is another car park they deal with called Gateway but there is some doubt as to their legality as I think they were featured on the news, its just a big field and they keep your keys, transfers are only every 30 minutes too as opposed to pink elephant which is a proper organised car park and transfers are about every 10 mins. It is expensive but unless you have friends in the area, there is no decent alternative. Sometimes it costs more to park the car than fly to Spain! Very irritating. We have tried every option we can think of including overnight stays in B & Bs which include parking but at the end of the day it comes to the same amount and if you take the 7 a.m. flight the taxi costs eat up any saving and you have the added worry of whether it will turn up in time.
Thanks jjh + susique - appreciate the info - same as you it seems crazy that its more expensive to park than to fly !!

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 19th 2015 at 6:37 pm. Reason: remove link per company request
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:13 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

The last time we flew from stansted we found that we could hire a car, drive to the airport dropoff and then return the same way and it was cheaper than paying for a fortnights parking, also was more convenient as the rental area is within easy walking distance. Found eurocar was good price if booked in advance.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kevray
The last time we flew from stansted we found that we could hire a car, drive to the airport dropoff and then return the same way and it was cheaper than paying for a fortnights parking, also was more convenient as the rental area is within easy walking distance. Found eurocar was good price if booked in advance.
Sounds good in theory Kevray, but do you leave home at 4 a.m. to get to Stansted for a 7 a.m. flight? We would need to hire the car the day before and likewise drop off the return car the day after we return, as we come back on the late night flight. However, I will check it out just in case, thanks.

I guess its a better option for people who get more sociably timed flights.

By the way we are not masochists, our route via M25 and M11 would make me a nervous wreck at any other time of day, wondering if we would get caught up in a jam. Also it does give us the best part of two extra days in Spain to play with.

So I can check it out, is it Eurocar or Europcar that you use in England?
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

kpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nice

Sounds good in theory Kevray, but do you leave home at 4 a.m. to get to Stansted for a 7 a.m. flight? We would need to hire the car the day before and likewise drop off the return car the day after we return, as we come back on the late night flight. However, I will check it out just in case, thanks.

By the way we are not masochists, our route via M25 and M11 would make me a nervous wreck at any other time of day, wondering if we would get caught up in a jam. Also it does give us the best part of two extra days in Spain to play with.

Don't know if this is still an option, but we in the past stayed the night before in the Hilton, who provided free parking and courtesy bus to and from the airport for the duration of the holiday.

Regards
Kevin
Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kpw4v
Don't know if this is still an option, but we in the past stayed the night before in the Hilton, who provided free parking and courtesy bus to and from the airport for the duration of the holiday.

Regards
Kevin
Hi

We tried that one year for our two week holiday and broke even. The only advantage was not getting up quite so early. The disadvantage was the unacustomed aircraft noise which stopped us getting any sleep at all! It is no cheaper for shorter trips and we are doing 5 - 7 day visits to our house, monthly at the moment. Even the bed and breakfasts which make the same offer are cashing in on it and charging far more than they would normally get because they offer parking. I didn't bother in the end as I was not convinced a local taxi firm would be reliable and turn up at 4.30 to transfer us to the airport.

Anyone got any other ideas?
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

We have used Holiday Inn Express, but that is £99 a time, like you say though, that only really works out for a longer period. Does it have to be stanstead? How about the Manchester to Gib flights?
The only way I was going to do it, was to start using the evening flight and take the extra half day off work, I certainly wouldn't trust taxis, we nearly missed our flight last year as the taxi didn't turn up (couldn't be bothered to get out of bed!) We had to bomb down in our car. Got there just as they were closing the flight.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Cheap Parking Near Stansted ???

Originally Posted by NicCol
We have used Holiday Inn Express, but that is £99 a time, like you say though, that only really works out for a longer period. Does it have to be stanstead? How about the Manchester to Gib flights?
The only way I was going to do it, was to start using the evening flight and take the extra half day off work, I certainly wouldn't trust taxis, we nearly missed our flight last year as the taxi didn't turn up (couldn't be bothered to get out of bed!) We had to bomb down in our car. Got there just as they were closing the flight.
Hi NicCol

We live near London, in Bucks so Manchester is not really an option, the extra fuel to drive there would take up any parking saving and also extra fuel to get from Gib, not to mention the extra hours.

Thanks for trying!

Ive looked at it from every angle and short of finding a pal who lives locally to Stansted, who doesn't mind getting out of bed in the middle of the night to give us a lift to the airport, there is nothing for it but to park and pay, unless someone knows better?
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

I've given up on Stansted and opted to fly to Malaga from our regional airport. It's no quicker timewise but it is much more flexible and in the long run, less stressful!
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:15 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Hi NicCol

We live near London, in Bucks so Manchester is not really an option, the extra fuel to drive there would take up any parking saving and also extra fuel to get from Gib, not to mention the extra hours.

Thanks for trying!

Ive looked at it from every angle and short of finding a pal who lives locally to Stansted, who doesn't mind getting out of bed in the middle of the night to give us a lift to the airport, there is nothing for it but to park and pay, unless someone knows better?
We lived near Aylesbury before moving out here permanently and I tried hard to find a cheaper parking option for Stansted, I had no joy either. The only thing I did find was a coach service to Stansted that had a stop in Hemel Hempsted amongst other places.
Yvonne
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by YMF
We lived near Aylesbury before moving out here permanently and I tried hard to find a cheaper parking option for Stansted, I had no joy either. The only thing I did find was a coach service to Stansted that had a stop in Hemel Hempsted amongst other places.
Yvonne
Hi Yvonne

You are right there is a coach and it actually stops in our town but it takes 2 and a half hours to do a 1 hr 15 trip. Also when I last checked it does not run during the night so no good for our 0700 flight.

For those who fly at more sensible times, it is a good option as it is also very cheap.

Susique
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:52 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Do apologise should be europcar, £89 return

http://www.europcar.co.uk/products/boomerang/

we do get the car previous/next day cause we do the night flights as well, remember you only need the car for each journey, there is no time penalty, but have now switched to Coventry Airport, only 1 hours drive away, and thomson flights have been excellent.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:56 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Reading back on this thread for the first time, I always use the longterm parking at Stansted....it is slightly cheaper if booked online, and is easily accessed by the BAA website. With two people it is more economical for trips of around 7 days, and even for longer it is worth having the car there when one returns on the late evening flight. I believe some travel policies cover for mechanical breakdown of a vehicle on the way to the airport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.