British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Charger (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/charger-869148/)

bil8999 Dec 13th 2015 7:27 am

Charger

Hi to all
Just bought scooter to nip out on when in Moraira.
Question
Should I leave it on trickle charge when not in use approx 6 weeks or charge when I get there.
Also best place to buy charger in Moraira, plug in type.

Thanks in advance.

snikpoh Dec 13th 2015 8:05 am

Re: Charger

Charge it when you get here.

Scooters are notorious for having crap batteries and needing to be charged all the time.

Longlegpete Dec 13th 2015 12:15 pm

What type of batteries are they ?

bil8999 Dec 13th 2015 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Longlegpete (Post 11813400)
What type of batteries are they ?

12 volt

Longlegpete Dec 13th 2015 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by bil8999 (Post 11813412)
12 volt

Sorry, buy type I mean Li ion or maybe lead acid or Ni Cad even Hi Metal maybe, different batteries react in different ways, so for example Ni Cads are best left and charged when you need them as they have a memory effect, lead acid is best left on trickle charge as low charge can damage the plates.

bil8999 Dec 14th 2015 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Longlegpete (Post 11813628)
Sorry, buy type I mean Li ion or maybe lead acid or Ni Cad even Hi Metal maybe, different batteries react in different ways, so for example Ni Cads are best left and charged when you need them as they have a memory effect, lead acid is best left on trickle charge as low charge can damage the plates.

Hi Longlegpete, sorry lead acid type battery, thanks for the answer.
Will buy smart charger and leave on trickle charge.

Longlegpete Dec 14th 2015 8:02 am

Originally Posted by bil8999 (Post 11813791)
Will buy smart charger and leave on trickle charge.

Way to go, i have smart chargers on my motorcycles and wile i have never had any problems in some 15 years i always make sure the charger is on its own on a concrete/tiled floor, just in case there is ever a problem with it when your not there, better safe than sorry

ElaineGon Dec 14th 2015 1:22 pm

I always disconnect my car and m/c batteries if I am to be away for say a couple of months or more, Never had any problems starting when I reconnect

Pulaski Dec 14th 2015 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Longlegpete (Post 11813837)
Way to go, i have smart chargers on my motorcycles and wile i have never had any problems in some 15 years i always make sure the charger is on its own on a concrete/tiled floor, just in case there is ever a problem with it when your not there, better safe than sorry

Also ensure the garage is ventilated as a faulty charger and/or lead acid battery can generate an explosive but odourless mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. :scaredhair:

Longlegpete Dec 14th 2015 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11813977)
Also ensure the garage is ventilated as a faulty charger and/or lead acid battery can generate an explosive but odourless mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. :scaredhair:

Agreed you should have some ventilation but garages are not air sealed rooms so no problems should occur.
When a lead acid battery is charged correctly, with a smart charger for example, the battery will not give off enough Hydrogen/Oxygen to be anything like a problem as its only created when the plates start to bubble, if charged correctly there are vertically no bubbles hence no Hydrogen/Oxygen.

The Hydrogen/Oxygen is not considered to be a problem until you can smell it, if a normal person cant smell it then it wouldn't be a problem

Pulaski Dec 14th 2015 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Longlegpete (Post 11814112)
.... if charged correctly there are vertically no bubbles hence no Hydrogen/Oxygen. .....

It's the horizontal bubbles you need to be wary about. ;)

Longlegpete Dec 14th 2015 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11814115)
It's the horizontal bubbles you need to be wary about. ;)

Don't you love predicted text, that will teach me to keep using the mobile :rofl:

bobd22 Dec 14th 2015 8:47 pm

I just disconnect my battery prior to leaving for 2 to 3 months and just reconnect on return no problem at all. A good trickle charger is fine if you are there but I would not be happy leaving a battery on trickle charge for that length of time without being there.

Pulaski Dec 14th 2015 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by ElaineGon (Post 11813959)
I always disconnect my car and m/c batteries if I am to be away for say a couple of months or more, Never had any problems starting when I reconnect

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 11814180)
I just disconnect my battery prior to leaving for 2 to 3 months and just reconnect on return no problem at all. ....

Disconnecting a battery might help if there is some minor power draw for say a clock or keyless entry system, but won't get around the "self discharge" problem which is typically around 5%/mth for lead acid batteries.

Longlegpete Dec 14th 2015 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 11814180)
I just disconnect my battery prior to leaving for 2 to 3 months and just reconnect on return no problem at all. A good trickle charger is fine if you are there but I would not be happy leaving a battery on trickle charge for that length of time without being there.

Yes the battery will spring into life if left to self discharge over a period of time and recharged, the point is it doesn't do it any good, it will shorten the working life as well as reduce its operating current and voltage.

I can appreciate your point re not happy with leaving a charger on when away for extended periods, however I have done it over a period of 15 years or so with up to 4 chargers on the go without any problems at all, the extension of battery life however is extremely welcome, a lot of quality motorcycle batteries for example are much more expensive than car batteries so it pays dividends in the long run