Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changing my UK licence to Spanish

Changing my UK licence to Spanish

Old May 19th 2017, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing my UK licence to Spanish

I have read the previous posts on this, but need some updated information.

I have been told this week that we need to change our UK licences for Spanish ones, in Almeria province, and if we don't and get stopped by the police, they fine you 500 euros!
We apparently have to get photo's of ourselves taken at a special photographer who deals with driving licence applications. Then we need to get a medical, I am aware of what is involved for that.

Does anyone else live in Almeria province, and can you confirm this is correct?
If so, we'll have to drive to another town to get these things done, so what happens if you are stopped and explain that you are in the process of getting all the elements done?

Would appreciate any advice on this law, current to May 2017, thanks.
Old May 19th 2017, 4:51 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing my UK licence to Spanish

Originally Posted by Hollyhock
I have read the previous posts on this, but need some updated information.

I have been told this week that we need to change our UK licences for Spanish ones, in Almeria province, and if we don't and get stopped by the police, they fine you 500 euros!
We apparently have to get photo's of ourselves taken at a special photographer who deals with driving licence applications. Then we need to get a medical, I am aware of what is involved for that.

Does anyone else live in Almeria province, and can you confirm this is correct?
If so, we'll have to drive to another town to get these things done, so what happens if you are stopped and explain that you are in the process of getting all the elements done?

Would appreciate any advice on this law, current to May 2017, thanks.
I would ask a mod to move this to the Spain forum, you've posted it in the Hungary forum so not too sure how many people will be able to help
Old May 19th 2017, 6:23 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have a licence with no expiry date of if the date is more than 15 years in the future there is no requirement to exchange your licence.

That said, most residents would confirm that it is the best course of action to avoid any potential misunderstandings of the requirements of the Trfico officer who stops you.

I suggest you read this thread and then come back with any specific questions.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...thread-786975/

These links are worth reading

Do I need to change my European driving licence? | N332 - Driving In Spain

Foreign Driver Fined for Failing to Exchange Licence | N332 - Driving In Spain
Old May 19th 2017, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, we recently did ours, very straightforward, Only difference is we are in Granada province, you are quite right, you need medical, ours was 50 euros, copies of everything Padron, residencia passport etc they also asked for NI from UK, told us it speeds things up, was actually less than 3 weeks.

I made us appointments at DGT in Granada filled forms in online, they didn't want them lol very very helpful and is easy, just check they give you same categories as you currently have. Oh by the way the medical last 3 months so get sorted within that time, cost of licence, less than 25 euros, or if 70 it is free.

Hope that helps
Old May 19th 2017, 8:42 pm
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pwwm
Hello, we recently did ours, very straightforward, Only difference is we are in Granada province, you are quite right, you need medical, ours was 50 euros, copies of everything Padron, residencia passport etc they also asked for NI from UK, told us it speeds things up, was actually less than 3 weeks.

I made us appointments at DGT in Granada filled forms in online, they didn't want them lol very very helpful and is easy, just check they give you same categories as you currently have. Oh by the way the medical last 3 months so get sorted within that time, cost of licence, less than 25 euros, or if 70 it is free.

Hope that helps
Suggest you follow fred james advice...anything else is a waste of time and drivel
Old May 20th 2017, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute

We will have been here for 2 years in November, and hubby is 65 in February 2018, so we have decided to get our medicals done in November, and change to Spanish licences, so that he gets the 10 year validity. Also, my licence expires in 2019 so we might as well change them both. A lot easier I think than worrying about it.
Old May 21st 2017, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree if you change them how can you be in the wrong? Plus it could get more complicated (by Brexit) in the future.
Old May 21st 2017, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hollyhock
We will have been here for 2 years in November, and hubby is 65 in February 2018, so we have decided to get our medicals done in November, and change to Spanish licences, so that he gets the 10 year validity. Also, my licence expires in 2019 so we might as well change them both. A lot easier I think than worrying about it.
A Spanish driving licence issued to a 65 year old will only be valid until they are 70 ..
Old May 21st 2017, 5:55 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is why they are planning to exchange in November, rather that wait until he reaches 65 in February.
Old May 21st 2017, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I think that is why they are planning to exchange in November, rather that wait until he reaches 65 in February.
Of course, that I understood and you can apply up to three months in advance but the actual date of the new licence will be from when the old one expires not the date of the application.
Old May 21st 2017, 7:48 pm

That's true with a normal renewal, but this is an exchange. When I exchanged mine it was valid for 5 years from the date of exchange, not from the date of expiry which was nearly 10 years in the future. In fact, the new one expired before the old one!
Old May 21st 2017, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's true with a normal renewal, but this is an exchange. When I exchanged mine it was valid for 5 years from the date of exchange, not from the date of expiry which was nearly 10 years in the future. In fact, the new one expired before the old one!
Amazing.
Old May 21st 2017, 8:12 pm
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly the same for us
Old May 22nd 2017, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

I exchanged mine in 2002 a week after being caught for speeding at 6.30 am on the way to work. I had two Guardia Civil simultaneously writing fines, one for speeding and one for being a resident driving on a UK licence . Euro 300,- with discount and the day had only just begun..
Old May 24th 2017, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

dypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud of

I also got fined for driving on a UK licence, I had asked in Trafico if I needed to exchange it 3 years earlier when I bought a new car and was told no. However the law changed a couple of years back and I had not noticed!! €300 fine.