Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

: Changing £ to Euros !! the conpeople !!

: Changing £ to Euros !! the conpeople !!

Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:43 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default : Changing £ to Euros !! the conpeople !!

Hi

Just a little interesting con !! which seems to be rife along the Mallorcan Coasts

As you may be aware i have just come back from a visit to Mallorca As it was all booked in a rush the last thing i worried about was getting Euros , as i had some 100 Euro or so left over from the last trip 3 weeks earlier ..

Well after a couple of days of being there it came time to change some £ to Euros again , so first stop was at the Hotel reception who had a very flashy hand written sign saying "Money Changiod hereio" so i say to the young Senorita " Ola canio changio 100 quidio to Euros por Favor ? and iffyio cannio how muchio will i gettio ?" She said "128 Euros " ? Hmmmmmmmm i thought thats pretty naff !
it was 1.41 exchange in good old First Choice shop up the town in England .

So i declined and said "thats crappio so no grathiosio " and left .

Went along the main front which has a host of flashy Change shops and outside i spy 1.44 exchange on a board .. That will do for me i say to Mrs BP soon get us some money and then we can grab a drink or 2
So in i go and i say " Ola youngo senorita , canniyou changio 100 English Quidio ? and what will you give me ? " She says " 1.44 . so i think lovely that will do for me ..
i pass over my 5 x £20 notes she gives me back 127 Euros !!!!! I say "Excusio Miss sharp senorito who thinks i am thick or something Now i didnt get a O level in maths or nothing but £100 at 1.44 should give me 144 Euros !! She suddenly then shows me some small writing at the very bottom of the sheet of paper with some Spanish about % handling fee ..
Not impressed as you can imagine and so i grab the 5x £ 20 notes back and give her the Euros back .. I then start to inform her that her practise is bordering on illegal stealing at which point her earlier English is somewhat now lost and pretends to not understand a word i say ..

Of i trundle to the next one , illuminated sign and a big sign saying NO Commision ! Thats the one for me i say , and the Exchange rate is 1.46 so i am thinking yippee at last ..
In i trundle and this time i think i shall cover all the angles so i say " Ola if i give you this £100 English cash can you tell me what you will give me back in Euros ? " She says " 1.28 rate so 128 Euros " ?? Now i show her the sign outside and she says "But we have to make charges " So i point out the No Commision sign and stuff !!" she says " Its not commision its handling " So again i am not impressed
As i am leaving a nice young couple are entering the building and the woman says " is the rate no good here then ?" i then proceed to explain the rip off they are pulling and she has a look of shock on her ! Her Husband well i assume its her husband looked pretty tired so may be ! lol .. Anyways he says " we have used this last few times it has the best rate we get 1.46 and says no commision ! " They had changed ammounts like £75 at a time and never noticed just took the word of the cashier ..

Well after being in Alcudia here many a time i knew there was one sweet older Spanish lady doing money exchange and what you see is what you get , so i took them with me way down the bottom of a side road off the main front line shops , i bet they was getting woried after 10 minutes walk lol.
Anyways there she was with her sign outside 1.44 exchange rate , still in business thank god or it would of been embarrasing !!

In we trundle i give her my £ 100 and sure enough i get back 144 Euros everyones a winner They proceed and change £ 120 worth and are very happy ...

So the morale of the story if you want to make quick money get a small shop stick a silly rate above the door , and wait for the silly Brits to come in and profit on money exchanging LOL
No serious now watch them Spanish some of them are damn sneaky buggers right ...
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: : Changing £ to Euros !! the conpeople !!

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Hi

Just a little interesting con !! which seems to be rife along the Mallorcan Coasts

As you may be aware i have just come back from a visit to Mallorca As it was all booked in a rush the last thing i worried about was getting Euros , as i had some 100 Euro or so left over from the last trip 3 weeks earlier ..

Well after a couple of days of being there it came time to change some £ to Euros again , so first stop was at the Hotel reception who had a very flashy hand written sign saying "Money Changiod hereio" so i say to the young Senorita " Ola canio changio 100 quidio to Euros por Favor ? and iffyio cannio how muchio will i gettio ?" She said "128 Euros " ? Hmmmmmmmm i thought thats pretty naff !
it was 1.41 exchange in good old First Choice shop up the town in England .

So i declined and said "thats crappio so no grathiosio " and left .

Went along the main front which has a host of flashy Change shops and outside i spy 1.44 exchange on a board .. That will do for me i say to Mrs BP soon get us some money and then we can grab a drink or 2
So in i go and i say " Ola youngo senorita , canniyou changio 100 English Quidio ? and what will you give me ? " She says " 1.44 . so i think lovely that will do for me ..
i pass over my 5 x £20 notes she gives me back 127 Euros !!!!! I say "Excusio Miss sharp senorito who thinks i am thick or something Now i didnt get a O level in maths or nothing but £100 at 1.44 should give me 144 Euros !! She suddenly then shows me some small writing at the very bottom of the sheet of paper with some Spanish about % handling fee ..
Not impressed as you can imagine and so i grab the 5x £ 20 notes back and give her the Euros back .. I then start to inform her that her practise is bordering on illegal stealing at which point her earlier English is somewhat now lost and pretends to not understand a word i say ..

Of i trundle to the next one , illuminated sign and a big sign saying NO Commision ! Thats the one for me i say , and the Exchange rate is 1.46 so i am thinking yippee at last ..
In i trundle and this time i think i shall cover all the angles so i say " Ola if i give you this £100 English cash can you tell me what you will give me back in Euros ? " She says " 1.28 rate so 128 Euros " ?? Now i show her the sign outside and she says "But we have to make charges " So i point out the No Commision sign and stuff !!" she says " Its not commision its handling " So again i am not impressed
As i am leaving a nice young couple are entering the building and the woman says " is the rate no good here then ?" i then proceed to explain the rip off they are pulling and she has a look of shock on her ! Her Husband well i assume its her husband looked pretty tired so may be ! lol .. Anyways he says " we have used this last few times it has the best rate we get 1.46 and says no commision ! " They had changed ammounts like £75 at a time and never noticed just took the word of the cashier ..

Well after being in Alcudia here many a time i knew there was one sweet older Spanish lady doing money exchange and what you see is what you get , so i took them with me way down the bottom of a side road off the main front line shops , i bet they was getting woried after 10 minutes walk lol.
Anyways there she was with her sign outside 1.44 exchange rate , still in business thank god or it would of been embarrasing !!

In we trundle i give her my £ 100 and sure enough i get back 144 Euros everyones a winner They proceed and change £ 120 worth and are very happy ...

So the morale of the story if you want to make quick money get a small shop stick a silly rate above the door , and wait for the silly Brits to come in and profit on money exchanging LOL
No serious now watch them Spanish some of them are damn sneaky buggers right ...
If you open a Nationwide Flex Account, you can draw cash when you want at the commercial rate and no hidden charges.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:48 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Many of the kiosks advertise extremely good rates of exchange, but if you take the time to read the small print it applies to amounts over, say, 2000 euros.
But often people have already changed their dosh before they discover this. Always ask how much you're going to get before you change
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:25 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Many of the kiosks advertise extremely good rates of exchange, but if you take the time to read the small print it applies to amounts over, say, 2000 euros.
But often people have already changed their dosh before they discover this. Always ask how much you're going to get before you change
OR

If you open a Nationwide Flex Account, you can draw cash when you want at the commercial rate and no hidden charges.

Rinse, lather, repeat
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
OR

Rinse, lather, repeat
Is that right .... I didn't know that
Old Jun 25th 2007, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Spanish is coming along nicely then, Pete?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 5:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Is that right .... I didn't know that
Also worth getting a Nationwide Visa credit card for foreign travel
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Your doing it all wrong BigPete, you don`t change your own pounds, you change MrsBigPete for a rich bird and use her money. lol
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Also worth getting a Nationwide Visa credit card for foreign travel
Correction: Also worth getting a Nationwide debit card for foreign travel.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:56 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by montgomail
Many hotels and car hire companies insist on a credit card for reservations...
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:57 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by montgomail

Also, with debit cards you don't get the same degree of protection if things go wrong, or CDW for hire cars.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:00 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Your doing it all wrong BigPete, you don`t change your own pounds, you change MrsBigPete for a rich bird and use her money. lol
clever idea , why didnt i think of that
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Spanish is coming along nicely then, Pete?
Heck i am a natural yep ..
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Also, with debit cards you don't get the same degree of protection if things go wrong, or CDW for hire cars.
Oops- thought you were still taking the pi$$.

Although some debit cards offer protection for purchases over £100.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thats true.....
My misses booked a car with a debit card from Spain, when we got to Stansted they wouldn`t let us have it cos it wasn`t a credit card.
Their excuse was we might wrap the car and close our account and they would have no comeback cos they wouldn`t be able to claim on the debit card.
After a few swift :curse::curse::curse: words we went to the next desk and got as car no problem at all.