Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Change to Claiming for State Pension

Change to Claiming for State Pension

Old May 4th 2009, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Change to Claiming for State Pension

It used to be four months when you could start putting the motions in place for claiming your state pension. This has now changed to two months. Has anyone started this process as it seems a very short time for them to get their act together.
Old May 4th 2009, 1:16 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change to Claiming for State Pension

Oh great!
We're just about to start the process for the wife for August. Where did you get the info from please? Surely thats going to put them (and us) under greater pressure
Old May 4th 2009, 2:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

No comment, but it takes over two months for the International dept to receive a letter apparently. ;-))
Old May 4th 2009, 2:58 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

When I applied for my pension last year I found the Pensions Service in Newcastle to be extremely efficient at processing the application. I made some last minute voluntary contributions and the subsequent increase came through in less than a month.

This also had the effect of increasing my wife's pension and that again came through in less than a month.

I have to say that, of all the UK government departments I have dealt with recently, the people in Newcastle have given me exemplary and faultless service.
Old May 4th 2009, 6:01 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I can draw my State Pension next Janauary and like Fred James have just paid the last of my voluntary contributions and also found the Pension Service people helpful and efficient.

I was told over the phone how much my pension would be (with the small amount of add-ons) and actually couldn't fault them at all.
Old May 4th 2009, 6:51 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

When I was in my late twenties and cut a dash, I used to love ladies of a pensionable age.

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:38 am.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:28 am
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the staff in Newcastle are brilliant. You can complete the details on-line or, if you 'phone them, they will give you a time when they will call you back, so as not to inflate your 'phone bill, and do it all on the 'phone.
Old May 5th 2009, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Oh great!
We're just about to start the process for the wife for August. Where did you get the info from please? Surely thats going to put them (and us) under greater pressure
My husband is 65 on 1st August and as we had not received any forms I phoned Newcastle and there was a recorded message stating the change. Good to hear all the comments about how efficient they are.
Old May 5th 2009, 12:18 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
My husband is 65 on 1st August and as we had not received any forms I phoned Newcastle and there was a recorded message stating the change. Good to hear all the comments about how efficient they are.
You can download the claim forms online and send them off. That's what I did and the pension came through on time.

It appears that you can claim by phone but I am not sure how that works because they normally need to see various certificates.

Have a look here http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/...do-i-claim.asp
Old May 5th 2009, 4:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Since Sept 08, I have filled it out on line after they lost my first attempt after it arrived by post to them, they sent back my Marraige cert and a confirmation of who was sorting it out though.
I still had to fill in more forms and include my marraige certificate, because I wanted my wife on as dependant, despite giving all this info on the online form and the previous one they lost.
So it actually took 3 lots of forms to sort out my pension and my dependant, I am still waiting to hear after over 2 months, why my pension is short although the insurance contibution dept of HM E+C say I have enough payments.
Old May 6th 2009, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

If Newcastle have all your information. Shouldn´t it come through automatically? Also is it best to have it paid directly in euros or keep to the old GBP and paid into a UK bank.
Old May 6th 2009, 9:25 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

If Newcastle have all your information. Shouldn´t it come through automatically? Also is it best to have it paid directly in euros or keep to the old GBP and paid into a UK bank.

I guess that depends on your circumstances, i.e. whether or not you need the money immediately. I have mine paid into my UK bank account as OH works here in Spain and is paid in Euros. I transfer mine in Sterling to my Sterling Account here and change it when I need it, keeping an eye on the exchange rate. I´m sure the Government get a very good exchange rate, as they bulk buy. I know, for sure, that you cannot have it paid in Sterling into a Sterling account outside of the UK, as they told me that when I asked them.
Old May 6th 2009, 9:27 am
Account Closed

The last time I checked they wanted £4.50 for each transfer in Euros to your Spanish bank. Considering that it is just pressing another button on their keyboard I think that's rather extortionate. I am with a bank here that does not charge me for withdrawing money from my British bank account - and neither does my British bank.
Old May 6th 2009, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by St. John
The last time I checked they wanted £4.50 for each transfer in Euros to your Spanish bank. Considering that it is just pressing another button on their keyboard I think that's rather extortionate. I am with a bank here that does not charge me for withdrawing money from my British bank account - and neither does my British bank.
The state pension is paid into a Spanish account completely free and always has been. They do give the best exchange rate.

You may be confusing that with other pensions which do often charge a flat fee.

Pensions paid direct into a Spanish account are always commission and charge free - that is EU law.
Old May 6th 2009, 10:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fred James
The state pension is paid into a Spanish account completely free and always has been. They do give the best exchange rate.

You may be confusing that with other pensions which do often charge a flat fee.

Pensions paid direct into a Spanish account are always commission and charge free - that is EU law.
I do apologise sincerely for misleading everyone. I was convincd that a charge was made by DWP. Then again I have 5 pensions monthly and have them all paid into my UK bank account. What is the current exchange rate they use? I do have enough money in my Spanish bank account to cover me for the next 4 or 5 years and this was purchased at 1.41 Euros to the pound and so rarely touch my UK accounts. I let 'em build up in the hope that the exchange rate improves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.