Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Certificate of none residents account holders.BANK CHARGES??

Certificate of none residents account holders.BANK CHARGES??

Old Oct 15th 2014, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Certificate of none residents account holders.BANK CHARGES??

My Spanish bank would charge me for the air I breath in their branch if they could!

We are so used to free banking in the UK, although I am beginning to think that's on the way out.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
That's interesting Bob. In the nine years we have been here we have paid every two years the non resident tax. In all that time we have never seen or been asked to sign a certificate or paperwork allied to it!

I was discussing this with another couple in the bar they bought last year and had to take out the non resident account. However they had immediately applied for residency as they intended to live here, this was obtained in six weeks so they are resident now. Their bank has just charged them the non resident tax! They complained they were resident and that they now had a resident account. "It is the way" they were told! Apparently it will correct itself given enough weeks.

A bit like ourselves, we closed an account with Santander in June because we opened a new one with Santander closer to us rather than 90k away. The old account which was closed was charged with the non resident tax and went into the red by 118€ (other bank charges as well) obviously we didn't know this because it was 'closed' Last month we paid 700€ in to the new account, it never arrived. After some tracking down Santander had without our knowledge diverted the payment to the old account, deducted their charges and a new payment of 50€ for having to do this!

We are still trying to get this rectified now 3 months later. The bank assures us it will all be paid back, it just takes time!
Not sure if the non resident tax is being confused with non resident certificate? If you are non resident remember that you pay a year behind for non resident tax, i.e. currently you have until 31 Dec to pay the tax due from 1 Jan 2013 to 31 Dec 2013. Not sure but I assume if one became resident part way through the year you would be liable for some non resident tax pro rata?

The Non Resident Certificate as far as I am aware is for banking and in relation to showing non residency for payment of interest etc, accepted this is probably a very small amount for most non residents, I believe though it is a legal requirement. I believe once one becomes resident and informs the bank you do not change accounts, it is just recorded and shown as resident and taxes etc on interest taken at source as in UK?

Non resident tax is every year , non resident certificate every 2 years.

Your friends may not have been aware that once they obtained residency it is down to them to inform the bank in order that the account is changed from non resident to resident status, they probably unintentionally failed to do this.

Last edited by bobd22; Oct 15th 2014 at 9:50 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 10:24 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee1lpool
I already have my NIE. So if I obtain my certificate of none residence,does this mean the bank will not charge me this fee every 2 years?

Also with my Sabadell bank deducting this fee, does that mean I still have to apply for my none residence certificate, or is the fee I`ve just payed that mean I do not have to apply for it?

Thank you in advance
two things being confused here, and I never said you hadn't paid your taxes if you read my post, but if you are not resident there are non resident charges on your bank account, which means higher charges for transactions etc, the non residents tax is a tax payable charged as if you were renting your Spanish home out, even though you don't it's still payable. Both of these will change once you move permanently to Spain, and inform the bank and get on the padron and get residencia, your bank account will be changed to a resident one, and you will pay no further non residents taxes.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
two things being confused here, and I never said you hadn't paid your taxes if you read my post, but if you are not resident there are non resident charges on your bank account, which means higher charges for transactions etc, the non residents tax is a tax payable charged as if you were renting your Spanish home out, even though you don't it's still payable. Both of these will change once you move permanently to Spain, and inform the bank and get on the padron and get residencia, your bank account will be changed to a resident one, and you will pay no further non residents taxes.
Superb timing!
Just as the OP (lee1lpool) glimpsed the light at the end of the tunnel and all appeared nice and tidy, you hit him with the notion of renting his home out
No wonder he is convinced that you accused him of not paying his taxes

Between the Taxman the Bankers and the Electric Companies it is hard to remain on an even keel.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 3:18 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lutonlad
Same here. Looked at my Sabadell a/c this morning. Also 25 euros annual charge for bank card. So 60 euros gone in a flash. Rip off.
Are you sure that you have the best account for you??

If you have regular payments into the bank, then look at the Expansion account - it's free (including cards etc.).

This is the main reason we moved to them as it's FREE banking.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:02 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
Superb timing!
Just as the OP (lee1lpool) glimpsed the light at the end of the tunnel and all appeared nice and tidy, you hit him with the notion of renting his home out
No wonder he is convinced that you accused him of not paying his taxes

Between the Taxman the Bankers and the Electric Companies it is hard to remain on an even keel.
No, just telling him what the non resident tax really is
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

lee1lpool is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Sorry if I misquoted you. The 3 taxes I pay are 1. IRNR-impuesto de la renta de no residents, 2. Gastos de comunidad 3 IBI.......Are there more to pay, or is that it? Because like someone said, think everything is sorted then BANG in comes another charge.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I pay your number 1 non resident tax, your number 3 IBI. I do not pay your number 2 which I presume is community charge? Our house is a little village house not on a community. I also pay every 2 months busura/rubbish collection drainage water etc but that could be in your community charge?
Old Oct 16th 2014, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

lee1lpool is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobd22
I pay your number 1 non resident tax, your number 3 IBI. I do not pay your number 2 which I presume is community charge? Our house is a little village house not on a community. I also pay every 2 months busura/rubbish collection drainage water etc but that could be in your community charge?
Not had a bill for basura. I`ll have to check if it`s included in my Community charges. I live in a block of 6. I pay Iberdrola for my electricity. My water is not connected up yet so don`t pay that. Mine`s a bank reposs so stiil in the middle of things getting done
Old Oct 16th 2014, 7:53 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by lee1lpool
Not had a bill for basura. I`ll have to check if it`s included in my Community charges. I live in a block of 6. I pay Iberdrola for my electricity. My water is not connected up yet so don`t pay that. Mine`s a bank reposs so stiil in the middle of things getting done
Basura is usually included in the community charge.