Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Caution if you cycle in Gib

Caution if you cycle in Gib

Old Aug 25th 2007, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

ZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really nice
Default Caution if you cycle in Gib

Just a word of warning, my OH was cycling down a small road the wrong way in a housing estate in Gib last week (yes he shouldn't but cars can't actually get onto this bit of road) and was stopped by a policeman, who said he was charging him, took his name, address, passport details etc. We will have to wait and see if he actually gets a fine. Yes he acknowledges that he shouldn't have done it, and he was very apologetic to the policeman who was obviously in a very foul mood, but as I say it was on a bit of road that cars can't actually get to and therefore would not have caused an accident, my OH was really wound up and came home in a foul mood!

So, please anyone who cycles across the border and to work in Gib, beware!

Zoe
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:17 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caution if you cycle in Gib

Originally Posted by ZoeOddJob
Just a word of warning, my OH was cycling down a small road the wrong way in a housing estate in Gib last week (yes he shouldn't but cars can't actually get onto this bit of road) and was stopped by a policeman, who said he was charging him, took his name, address, passport details etc. We will have to wait and see if he actually gets a fine. Yes he acknowledges that he shouldn't have done it, and he was very apologetic to the policeman who was obviously in a very foul mood, but as I say it was on a bit of road that cars can't actually get to and therefore would not have caused an accident, my OH was really wound up and came home in a foul mood!

So, please anyone who cycles across the border and to work in Gib, beware!

Zoe

WOW I can see the policemans point if he was in a position to cause an accident but then kids cycle anywhere they like, even the wrong way down one way streets - and who cares! Bit OTT to book him, a caution would have been enough

P.s. Not saying your OH is a kid, just making a point.

Last edited by Lionda; Aug 25th 2007 at 7:19 pm. Reason: added P.s.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:40 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
P.s. Not saying your OH is a kid, just making a point.

Is he a male? I rest my case

Rosemary
Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:44 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

So ....... you're warning us not to break the law?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

ZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
So ....... you're warning us not to break the law?
There are a lot of people who cross the border go to work on cycles, a lot of whom take shortcuts that may be footpaths, one way streets etc. My point was to be careful, that's all.

Whatever.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

I'm missing something here - How is it possible to ride the wrong way on a road that isn't a road??

Are you sure of what he's actually done wrong? as to me a road is either open to traffic or it's a footpath?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

CarolineW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leighbloke
I'm missing something here - How is it possible to ride the wrong way on a road that isn't a road??

Are you sure of what he's actually done wrong? as to me a road is either open to traffic or it's a footpath?
Do I sense an AP Herbert "Misleading Case" coming on?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarolineW
Do I sense an AP Herbert "Misleading Case" coming on?
Top marks for obscurity of reference there!! I had to "Wiki" AP Herbert as I'd never heard of him - he seems a bit of a wag!! I think I like him.

Last edited by leighbloke; Aug 27th 2007 at 1:56 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

CarolineW is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Caution if you cycle in Gib

Originally Posted by leighbloke
Top marks for obscurity of reference there!! I had to "Wiki" AP Herbert as I'd never heard of him - he seems a bit of a wag!! I think I like him.
Look up "Misleading Cases" in google. One of the funniest TV comedy series I can remember. The one discussed in this thread talks about a road or footpath etc and there was one such similar case in the series- about whether a flooded road is a river, since you sail on the right on a river- and you might imagine- there was a case about accident responsibility. Classic! May be my sense of ridiculous humour so sorry for being obscure.