Catalunia

Old Apr 27th 2008, 3:33 am
Just Joined

flood will become famous soon enough
Default Catalunia

Having lived in the paradise they call Catalunia for the past 16 years I have a few observations to make which highlight the diferences with "Spain".

1) Catalunia encompasses 10,000,000 people and stretches far into France. The main languages of Perpignan are Catalan (actually Catalá) and French.

2) Any law passed in Madrid is at best regarded here as 0ptional and at worst may be totally ignored. Of course Catalunia has its own legal system which differs greatly in some aspects from Spanish law, but in general, forget it. Catalan law is made in Barcelona, not Madrid. Because:

3)The Government of Catalunia is the Generalität de Catalunia, not the Cortes, and sits in Barcelona, not Madrid.

4) The Catalan police are to all intents & p's the Mossas d'Esquadra, not the Guardia Civil. When Catalunia was allowed its own police force the pay was better and the costumes sexier than the Guardia Civil had, so half the latter defected and joined the former. Anyway the Guardia speak Castilliano, so....

5) The language here is Catalan. In schools you have a choice of learning a foreign language such as English, French, German or Castilliano. When the King comes to visit the Spanish F1 Grand Prix, he speaks in Catalan, not Spanish (one reason why everyone loves him).

Having just come back from a trip to Madrid, I can't deny it's a beautiful city with lovely welcoming friendly people, but my attitude is that Spain is fortunate to have two capital cities, and fortunate to have two different but cooperative nations within one territory. Just remember in which one you are living !
Old Apr 27th 2008, 5:48 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catalunia

"When the King comes to visit the Spanish F1 Grand Prix, he speaks in Catalan, not Spanish "

Goes to prove he isn't stupid.

This just underlines what I always say. If you plan to move there it is wisest to learn Catalan First, Spanish second.

There will always be people who will turn round and say that you don't HAVE to, etc etc etc, but having had a couple of insights into how some Spanish & Catalans think, I think it is far more important than those people realise.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

As far as I'm concerned Barcelona is the greatest city on Earth.

If it hadn't been for several mitigating factors, one being it's hellishly expensive, I would have migrated there.

They say that Valenciano and Catalan are pretty much the same language, but if you mentioned that to a Catalunyan or Valencian he would probably set fire to your head.

Ste.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:16 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Flood I bet you would not dare to publish those views on a Spanish forum, we are not talking one just about Cataluña either.