Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Catalan independance

Catalan independance

Old May 10th 2013, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catalan independance

Originally Posted by cricketman
To be fair, the Spanish provinces have more autonomy than any other regions in the world, including that of the states of the USA, and the countries that make up the UK

There are distinct cultures and "nations" within Spain, there is no doubt about that. The problem is that Franco imported Andalucians and Murcians into these regions so that now in Bilbao and Barcelona for example, nearly half of the population come from immigrants i.e. non-Catalans or non-Basques, so things are more diluted than they may have been - exactly what Franco intended

PSOE were in power for 8 years, they are definitely listeners rather than doers but still there was a lot of nationalistic sentiment

The PP only recognise those related to Franco, the King or God himself as true Spaniards
I agree about the PP. As long as Aznar is behind the scenes, nothing will be achieved. They play to their audience.
The pity with the PSOE is that they didn't take more daring & decisive steps to talk. Guess there are still echoes of the civil war.
I guess it mustn't be forgotten that Spain is such a young democracy & needs time to sort itself out.
Old May 11th 2013, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
To be fair, the Spanish provinces have more autonomy than any other regions in the world, including that of the states of the USA, and the countries that make up the UK

There are distinct cultures and "nations" within Spain, there is no doubt about that. The problem is that Franco imported Andalucians and Murcians into these regions so that now in Bilbao and Barcelona for example, nearly half of the population come from immigrants i.e. non-Catalans or non-Basques, so things are more diluted than they may have been - exactly what Franco intended

PSOE were in power for 8 years, they are definitely listeners rather than doers but still there was a lot of nationalistic sentiment

The PP only recognise those related to Franco, the King or God himself as true Spaniards
Franco didn't send to nobody to these regions, people made it for own decision. In my family emigrated to France and Catalonia, and to the few years they back again to Murcia, where I am. Others stayed in those places. In the same way that a lot of people of my region never wanted to travel to those places

But they were few murcians those that emigrated to those places. In their majority they were andalusian, galician and from Extremadura

I don't know to who it recognizes the PP as true Spaniards, the only thing that I can to tell you is that the destruction of our industry (to be able to enter to the European Union) and that Spain has known the ruin twice, this has made it the PSOE. The second time (and I hope the last) with Shoemaker. In any other more serious country this party would not simply exist

And I don't defend the PP, but it is the reality
Old May 11th 2013, 12:46 am
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Relampago
There are many reasons why Catalonia can not be independent, I will say a few:

1) Only an part of the Catalans want independence. This is the main problem. What happens is that the nationalists claim the right to speak for all Catalans

2) Catalonia has never been an independent country, never. It was always a part of Spain, is a province that was born of the ancient kingdom of Aragon. An independent country that wants its independence is Scotland, for example, do you know where is Scotland, right? A country with flag, anthem and culture own...but Catalonia? Please ...

3) The catalonian autonomic police receive its salary of the the Ministry of Interior (ie, my tax) and not of the Generalitat of Catalonia (oh, Ministry of Interior, oh my God, is Spain). Catalonia would have to refund all the money and the skills we have given for decades to Catalonia, as its billionaire Olympics games

In short, before that an independent Catalonia, I won the lottery, I am a member of the House of Lords and sure I catch a fish that breathes air, plays guitar and is capable of calculating cubic roots
Hi Relampago,

I wonder if you could answer some questions regarding point 3. How much does Catalunya pay to Madrid over and above what it gets back ? I have heard silly figures like 18 billion euros a year, but I am sure it is wrong because this would be 2,400 euros for every person in Catalunya. I am also having trouble finding the figures for the budget for the Mossos Esquadra (the Catalan Police) that you are paying for out of your taxes. Does Madrid pay directly for the Mossos, or does Catalunya ?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by notacontrathinker; May 11th 2013 at 12:48 am. Reason: add "a year"