Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Castral value of UK property

Castral value of UK property

Old Jun 4th 2023, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Castral value of UK property

Originally Posted by snikpoh
How come you are not tax liable in UK.

All UK rental income is taxed in UK and then declared again here. If the agent doesn't deduct tax for you, then you MUST do a self-assesment
I think the person does do that but states it is a waste of time and paper as they don't exceed the personal allowance so no uk tax is deducted. They then declare everything again on the Spanish modelo 100.
Old Jun 4th 2023, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
I think the person does do that but states it is a waste of time and paper as they don't exceed the personal allowance so no uk tax is deducted. They then declare everything again on the Spanish modelo 100.
I don't get that bit . You have done the
Legal obligation by making the UK tax declaration. The fact that it is under threshold to pay tax is irrelevant thats down to UK legislation. As has been said property is in UK so that's where tax is declared and paid. All Spain should need to know is you have declared that income and how much that income is. if Spain want proof you have declared it to UK HMRC declaration proves that. Amount of tax or fact there's no tax due to thresholds is irrelevant .
If you had a house in Spain rented it out and lived in the UK the tax on rental income would be paid to Spain.

​​​​

Last edited by bobd22; Jun 4th 2023 at 9:08 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2023, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I don't get that bit . You have done the
Legal obligation by making the UK tax declaration. The fact that it is under threshold to pay tax is irrelevant thats down to UK legislation. As has been said property is in UK so that's where tax is declared and paid. All Spain should need to know is you have declared that income and how much that income is. if Spain want proof you have declared it to UK HMRC declaration proves that. Amount of tax or fact there's no tax due to thresholds is irrelevant .
If you had a house in Spain rented it out and lived in the UK the tax on rental income would be paid to Spain.

​​​​
Unfortunately that is not what I have been told. If you just declare the net from uk rent after paying uk tax where do you include that on your modelo ? It has to be declared as renta inmuebles and that requires you fill in gross, deductions castral, tenant. Can someone just look at their modelo 100 and see what section they declare the UK net rent in?
Old Jun 4th 2023, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VEDShappy
I complete my HMRC return online and have done for years.
Confirmation here that, once registered, this is acceptable
https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-t...sending-return
Following the link you put on and opening the living abroad not resident part open this up (screenshot). When I started doing the UK declarations I was specifically informed that I shouldn't use the HMRC online declaration. I looked through their list of accepted outside software submissions and found one that costs £9.99 per person. We use that and claim the £9.99 as expenses. I have no doubt that the software I use is identical to HMRC but I just follow their rules. It's beyond me why because we live outside the UK and aren't UK resident yet UK tax payers we can't use their online software? You have proved it works as I'm sure have many but their guidance says different.

Old Jun 4th 2023, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Having read a few bits online I think the way HMRC have worded the part about non residents using the online submission is a bit confusing. They told me I couldn't use it and their page shows that. However I think it may be that some may not be able to use it. To use it one requires access to the gateway I have acces to that as will many others. However I think if one lives outside the UK and doesn't already have access to the gateway that may be the issue. Without a UK address one can't be authorised to use the gateway. So likes of Vedshappy has access and uses it as probably do others. I have access to the gateway but seem to remember a while back someone getting locked out and not being able to get re authorised. I think the HMRC wording should be may not be able to use their online submission. Sorry for any confusion
Old Jun 5th 2023, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Having read a few bits online I think the way HMRC have worded the part about non residents using the online submission is a bit confusing. They told me I couldn't use it and their page shows that. However I think it may be that some may not be able to use it. To use it one requires access to the gateway I have acces to that as will many others. However I think if one lives outside the UK and doesn't already have access to the gateway that may be the issue. Without a UK address one can't be authorised to use the gateway. So likes of Vedshappy has access and uses it as probably do others. I have access to the gateway but seem to remember a while back someone getting locked out and not being able to get re authorised. I think the HMRC wording should be may not be able to use their online submission. Sorry for any confusion
Bobd22, I think that your interpretation is correct. I've just followed all the links and they can be ambiguous.
For me, yes I have the Gateway. I filed a paper return initially but have done online self assessment since. Both through the self assessment and other correspondence, HMRC are fully aware of where I live and have never raised any query or objection.
I'll continue with this course of action until advised otherwise, but it would seem that it may not be available to others.
Old Jun 5th 2023, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by VEDShappy
Bobd22, I think that your interpretation is correct. I've just followed all the links and they can be ambiguous.
For me, yes I have the Gateway. I filed a paper return initially but have done online self assessment since. Both through the self assessment and other correspondence, HMRC are fully aware of where I live and have never raised any query or objection.
I'll continue with this course of action until advised otherwise, but it would seem that it may not be available to others.
Yes confusing as both myself and my wife have the gateway showing our Spanish address and it works fine.
Old Jun 5th 2023, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Just been on the phone with HMRC for an issue with my tax declaration. Having seen the comments I asked if I could do my Dec online using gateway and was told - no! Simply because it won't work. You need to provide either UK driving licence or uk credit trace or passport ( but at least 2). And you can't run a trace without uk address. So I guess people are either relying on set ups they did before leaving uk or doing something naughty! But - no- if you are a non resident you can't use the online service. ( By the way waited 1 hour 10 min)
Old Jun 5th 2023, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
Just been on the phone with HMRC for an issue with my tax declaration. Having seen the comments I asked if I could do my Dec online using gateway and was told - no! Simply because it won't work. You need to provide either UK driving licence or uk credit trace or passport ( but at least 2). And you can't run a trace without uk address. So I guess people are either relying on set ups they did before leaving uk or doing something naughty! But - no- if you are a non resident you can't use the online service. ( By the way waited 1 hour 10 min)
Thanks funny enough I've just messaged HMRC to ask that question. I get what they have told you and yes I had the gateway set up before moving to Spain . However once I moved to Spain myself and my wife both changed our registered address on the system to our Spanish one. So the online system would work for us as it does for Vedshappy.
I have just had a reply from HMRC and they say I must use the commercial software to submit my returns as I have been doing as I am non resident. So from the horse's mouth . The HMRC online software may work but shouldn't be used by non residents. It makes no real difference to me I pay £10 to use the software which is online and I claim that as expenses against tax. I just like to do it right without comebacks so will continue as I have been doing it.
Old Jun 5th 2023, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

By the way Ronnyone that was some time on hold I remember a similar problem a while back. If you have Facebook go to HMRC FB page and message the question which is what I just did and they answered my question in around 3 minutes .
Old Jun 5th 2023, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

By the way Ronnyone that was some time on hold I remember a similar problem a while back. If you have Facebook go to HMRC FB page and message the question which is what I just did and they answered my question in around 3 minutes .
OK I will use the Facebook page next time for sure.
Old Jun 19th 2023, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have just been through my tax declaration again. It has gone back and forth for weeks. Basically any money you receive from your uk property music be accounted for in the Bienes inmueble section. It does not go in the section for pension or investments or savings. Even if you don't rent it you must include all details for imputed tax. Even if you declare it in uk it still goes in spanish mod 100. The double taxation part is done later. You need to show all your deductions, address, value etc.