Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cassette Wood Burner

Cassette Wood Burner

Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold
Default Cassette Wood Burner

Can anyone give me any idea how many years can one expect a good quality wood burner to last. We think ours is approx 10/11 years old and is a Rofer/Rodi model. We have just noticed that part of the top inside the burner is breaking, trying to find out if it is repairable or not, or is it better to get a new one installed.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cassette Wood Burner

Originally Posted by jo-ann
Can anyone give me any idea how many years can one expect a good quality wood burner to last. We think ours is approx 10/11 years old and is a Rofer/Rodi model. We have just noticed that part of the top inside the burner is breaking, trying to find out if it is repairable or not, or is it better to get a new one installed.
The roof of my cassette woodburner stove is a heavy removable plate that allows access to the damper and chimney so that the chimney can be brushed. Yours may be similar.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cassette Wood Burner

I am hoping that ours is similar but we also have this round thin plate which has 2 holes into which has fallen to the floor. Currently waiting for someone to come and look at it. Hoping we don't have to buy a new one having looked at the prices.

Last edited by jo-ann; Dec 29th 2010 at 2:25 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:43 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

A degree of common sense is needed.

If the broken piece is structural, it can be a problem. However, if the broken piece is an access hatch or the throat plate, you can easliy and quickly weld one up out of mild steel, where the original might be a casting, and expensive.

It won't last as long, but who cares?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Not a helpful comment, I know, but I'm intrigued as to whether you like the stove enough to mend it - our cassette woodburner is a pitb (pain in.....) and gives out very little heat. We wouldn't touch a new one with a bargepole, preferring to get a freestanding. That having been said, I do agree with the principle of mending!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 3:51 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Freestanding is better, and kicks out waaayyy more heat.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Freestanding is better, and kicks out waaayyy more heat.
If you have a cassette with a fan it can produce loads of heat.

Ours heats a living area of 70m2 with 4m high roof.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:34 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you have a cassette with a fan it can produce loads of heat.

Ours heats a living area of 70m2 with 4m high roof.

For two identical stoves, one free standing, the other casette, the freestander wins every time. Plus, not only that but you don't have to use an electric fan to boot.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Our cassette is with a fan and does provide plenty of heat, if it is repairable it is surely going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than having a new one installed, I don't think freestanding is an option as we already have a fireplace so where could it go?
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:25 pm
bil
Banned

Our cassette is with a fan and does provide plenty of heat, if it is repairable it is surely going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than having a new one installed, I don't think freestanding is an option as we already have a fireplace so where could it go?
Sometimes repair just isn't an option. Sometimes a botch will work, and if a botch is cheap and effective, but short lived, then redoing it every few years or so is worth it.

In your position, if I had to have a new stove fitted, I would consult with a builder to see if I could rip out the fireplace all the way up to the ceiling (being very mindful to see if the remainder of the chimney needed support) and put a free stander underneath.

I'm not saying that cassettes don't give out heat, and if you prefer a casette, go for that. However, you will get more heat out per ton of fuel from a freestander.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:42 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what a cassette fire is but I'm assuming its like a built in one.

There is an English couple in our village who had a complete (and expensive) reform and the builders installed a built in type wood burner in a corner of the lounge, the guy was showing me how hot the next door room got with it, I couldn't touch the wall it was so hot, would this damage the wall do you think or will it be OK? I wouldn't fancy it in my home.

I'm not keen on some of the Spanish so called professionals work that I have seen.

My own opinion on Lot's of Spanish workmanship is that they build like kids then hide it with cement.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:45 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Not sure what a cassette fire is but I'm assuming its like a built in one.

There is an English couple in our village who had a complete (and expensive) reform and the builders installed a built in type wood burner in a corner of the lounge, the guy was showing me how hot the next door room got with it, I couldn't touch the wall it was so hot, would this damage the wall do you think or will it be OK? I wouldn't fancy it in my home.

I'm not keen on some of the Spanish so called professionals work that I have seen.

My own opinion on Lot's of Spanish workmanship is that they build like kids then hide it with cement.
Well, for what it's worth, I think it's madness.

Different materials expand at different rates, and that can, if it gets hot enough cause the plaster to lift off the wall and become 'live'.

A cassette is supposed to be set into an insulated cavity in the wall.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:01 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

They thought it was wonderful heating two rooms for the price of one, I didn't say anything
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:26 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by anonimouse
They thought it was wonderful heating two rooms for the price of one, I didn't say anything
I'm with you. Better by far to blow warm air into the next room, or just have an air vent.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:47 pm
Banned

Sweeper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
It is better to buy a new

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jan 4th 2011 at 11:29 pm.