Cars

Old Jan 9th 2015, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cars

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Not paid for parking since coming to Spain.

Now, now, me in a 4 X 4 or something sporty, I think not. You are the only person that I know who uses a sports car like a pick up truck!!!!

No basic and simple is all I want.

Rosemary
Don't visit Gandia often? You can use a couple of litres looking for a space! Sadly the MG truck is garaged now due to my move to chilly France.Now if you want to know about expensive cars France is your place
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough

I'll be looking to buy a car when I visit next time. Though I'd not be looking at anything anywhere near new.
1- Mainly because I only have a modest budget, and
2- I don't think that I've seen a single car in Mallorca without some sort of damage to it. The Spaniards don't appear to look after their cars in general, and it would break my heart to see a new car of mine get bumped by a careless driver/shopping cart/cyclist/etc. Not making a criticism of this, It's a tool which will ultimately end up being scrapped at some point. I think that us Brits have a love affair with our cars. When I think how I have pampered my vehicles over the years, only to see the next owner benefit from my efforts.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough

Oh, one question if I may hijack your thread Rosemary (you may be interested in the response too!)

How long does the paperwork take to process if you buy from a dealer. I'm thinking I may pop over for a couple of days. If I saw a car whilst there and paid cash, would that be long enough to sort it out. Do they just post the paperwork through, same as the UK?
Old Jan 21st 2015, 8:58 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SportyPorty
Oh, one question if I may hijack your thread Rosemary (you may be interested in the response too!)

How long does the paperwork take to process if you buy from a dealer. I'm thinking I may pop over for a couple of days. If I saw a car whilst there and paid cash, would that be long enough to sort it out. Do they just post the paperwork through, same as the UK?
I would be interested in the answer to this question too. Although I do not have a restricted timescale in the way that you do but I am the sort of person who plans out the weeks and I also have other commitments to consider.

Rosemary
Old Jan 21st 2015, 9:07 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy new from a dealer and the car is in stock (but not registered) it should only take a couple of days but that really depends on how hard you push them.

They have to get their gestor to matriculate the car and get the paperwork from Trafico. The number plates have to be made and fitted and if the car is not in the showroom it will have to have its pre delivery check and wash etc.

You cannot get the insurance sorted until you know the new registration number, and unlike the UK, they don't have a block of reserved numbers to choose from so everyone waits until Trafico assign a number.

All it usually takes is a call to the insurance company when you know the new number and they email a cover note direct to the dealer.

For second hand cars it should be much quicker.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 11:22 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you buy new from a dealer and the car is in stock (but not registered) it should only take a couple of days but that really depends on how hard you push them.

They have to get their gestor to matriculate the car and get the paperwork from Trafico. The number plates have to be made and fitted and if the car is not in the showroom it will have to have its pre delivery check and wash etc.

You cannot get the insurance sorted until you know the new registration number, and unlike the UK, they don't have a block of reserved numbers to choose from so everyone waits until Trafico assign a number.

All it usually takes is a call to the insurance company when you know the new number and they email a cover note direct to the dealer.

For second hand cars it should be much quicker.
Thanks for that Fred. So if and when I pluck up the courage and time to go car hunting my role once I have paid is to wait for the dealer to do all of his side then sort out the insurance. What about registering the car at the town hall, is that the dealer or the new owner or both?

Rosemary
Old Jan 21st 2015, 11:25 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The dealer does it all for you.

When they took my old car as part of the deal, they cancelled that with the town hall and also deregistered it. They even paid the two months road tax for November/December.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 12:38 pm

Thank you. I hate dealing with this sort of thing so that is one worry off my mind. Must get some time to think of my options but difficult at the moment, too much going on.

Rosemary
Old Jan 21st 2015, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cars

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Thank you. I hate dealing with this sort of thing so that is one worry off my mind. Must get some time to think of my options but difficult at the moment, too much going on.

Rosemary
However did we find the time to work 60hrs a week now I am retired I ponder that question.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:42 am

Totally agree with you. I do voluntary work for about 15 hours a week and sometimes it feels more like when I was working full time. I started the ball rolling on a few things that I needed to be more proactive about but instead of spacing them I jumped in with them all hence the inability to go looking at cars. Never mind it will happen sometime very soon.

Rosemary
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:25 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElaineGon
I have only bought a new car during the past 40 years. I am on my 5th car, a 1.2 Seat Ibiza automatic, which is now 2 years old and it has not a single mark on it.

I not only take great care when driving but also where I park, never too close to other cars.
I should be so lucky.

I follow your advice regarding parking and live in a quiet country area, yet my car has been bashed or scraped on four separate occasions in the past few weeks mostly in supermarket car parks I would guess.

It also received similar treatment within a couple of weeks of buying it new.

My first new one was stolen and dumped into a deep barranco in Tenerife where it still lies to this day.

My second one was badly vandalised while I was back in the UK for a few weeks.

If I didn't have to make long trips to parts of N.Europe I'd probably just stick with old bangers for running around Spain
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

I've been actively looking for a reasonably priced 7 seater in the past week or so, and you really do have to be carefull if buying prvately. I spotted this advert which appeared a great buy.

Renault Grand Scenic 2.0I 16V LUXE PRIVILEGE de segunda mano, Diésel, € 3.800,- en mallorca

I contacted the seller, and he replied saying that the car was immaculate, one lady owner, non smoker, low mileage, full service history, all paperwork etc... It sounded perfect.

I asked for more details, but didn't mention I was in the UK. He replied with a somewhat unusual story. He said he had sold his house in Mallorca and moved to the UK to work as a football coach. He tried to sell the car in the UK, but proved too difficult and was going to ship the car back to Mallorca and I could receive delivery at my address there. He would pay all the shipping costs and he would put the transfer of the car in charge of the shipping firm, once they checked everything was legal, apparently. By now alarm bells were obviously going off. I continued just to see what would happen. In the following email exchanges, he dropped the price without me asking, saying that he was keen to sell quickly. He informed me that Davies Turner would be the shipping company he would use. (who incidentally have this warning on their website - Warning: beware of car buying fraud) He asked for all of my details so he could start the legal transaction, but didn't up to that point, ask for any money. Presumably he was waiting to build my confidence first. All was going well with the email conversation, until I asked where the car was in the UK, and I explained I was in the UK and I could travel to see it before he shipped it. That was when he stopped replying. I emailed once more, but again, I received no response.

The things that concerned me were -
1 - the odd story (could have been true, but odd all the same)
2 - the fact that he was prepared to lose the massive shipping cost, but was unwilling to sell the car cheaply in the UK.
3 - The hassle that would have been involved for him, seemed disproportionate to the cars value.
4 - The price was dropped without me asking - just 'for a quick sale'
5 - that he emigrated to the UK to coach a football team, but appeared not to understand when I emailed in English.
6 - The car was 'one lady owner' from new, but he told me in an email that the paperwork was in his name.
7 - the photo appears to have 'Mr Qap' mat protectors, but that garage is in Barcelona. Dónde encontrarnos

I was wary of this buyer from the first contact, and it appears I may have right to be wary. Perhaps, of course, it may be that the seller is genuine and has a valid reason for all of this strangeness, and for stopping emailing me, and I've taken it all the wrong way ..... perhaps!
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

That is suspiciously cheap.