Cars

Old Jan 9th 2015, 12:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cars

I am seriously thinking about changing my car. It is almost 12 years old so I am always in fear of breakdowns and this I believe stops me from venturing very far.

Would people please give me their opinions on the pros and cons of buying new. I know that it will get damaged my present car looks like it is badly driven but in fact I have only inflicted one bit of that damage to it.

Do garages take old cars in part exchange like they do in the UK? I have decided that if I do go down this route that I will stick to a Ford Fiesta or Focus and diesel but am very wary of the whole thing so any helpful advice would be welcome.

Rosemary
Old Jan 9th 2015, 1:44 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I am seriously thinking about changing my car. It is almost 12 years old so I am always in fear of breakdowns and this I believe stops me from venturing very far.

Would people please give me their opinions on the pros and cons of buying new. I know that it will get damaged my present car looks like it is badly driven but in fact I have only inflicted one bit of that damage to it.

Do garages take old cars in part exchange like they do in the UK? I have decided that if I do go down this route that I will stick to a Ford Fiesta or Focus and diesel but am very wary of the whole thing so any helpful advice would be welcome.

Rosemary
Personally, I would nor recommend a new car - they depreciate so much as soon as they leave the forecourt and the Spanish don't seem to take care of them (or anyone elses).

Most places will take an old car in part exchange but don't expect much for it.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 3:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If your old car is over 10 years old it will be eligible for the government Plan PIVE where they scrap it and give you €2000 towards your new car.

There are some pretty big discounts on top of that as they are pretty desperate to sell.

When I bought a new car a year ago the total discount was 27%.

Don't buy a diesel. They are much more expensive and only worth buying if you do at least 15k a year. The new turbo petrol engines are now very efficient and brilliant to drive. The Ford 3 cylinder Ecoboost engine is excellent.

You should also look at the new Skoda Fabia. It has just won the What Car Car of the Year Award. VW reliability and technology at a sensible price. It's the same car as the VW Polo, SEAT Ibiza or Audi A1.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

ElaineGon is an unknown quantity at this point

I have only bought a new car during the past 40 years. I am on my 5th car, a 1.2 Seat Ibiza automatic, which is now 2 years old and it has not a single mark on it.

I not only take great care when driving but also where I park, never too close to other cars. In all that time I have never needed anything but services, and even then I have delayed well past the recommended service periods. I have never had a breakdown.

With my present car I got the 2,000 euros allowance. But remember that allowance must be added to one’s income when declaring tax.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 4:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElaineGon
With my present car I got the 2,000 euros allowance. But remember that allowance must be added to one’s income when declaring tax.
You only have to enter the allowance that came from the government, ie €1000.

The other €1000 comes from the manufacturer and does not have to be declared.

If you delay the required services it may invalidate your warranty.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

ElaineGon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
You only have to enter the allowance that came from the government, ie €1000.

The other €1000 comes from the manufacturer and does not have to be declared.

If you delay the required services it may invalidate your warranty.
However, as I said, I have never had any problem with a new car, as any inherent fault probably would have become apparent in the past 2 years.

My present car is now up the first service and no problem is app

I am very aware that garages do not always do a good job. My husband once put some tape on an engine of his new car, to see if the head was tightened as was specified. The tape was still there after the so called service.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 5:18 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Six months ago I traded my old Yaris for a new Yaris (both diesel). The new one now has over 20,000 Kms on it and my last one had 300,000; it was just over ten years old.

Put simply, if you are a vulnerable lady, then drive a car that is unlikely to need assistance - money "comes second to your well being". If you´re young, fit and always with friends who can push you to a garage because you never have enough money to put fuel in the tank - remember those days? So buy a brand new car if you can easily afford it AND ENJOY !!!

Davexf
Old Jan 9th 2015, 5:45 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Any dealer will be happy to take your old car no matter what condition it is in.

I would advise a new car, or nearly new - assuming you are not competent at DIY(?)
Maybe the Ford Fiesta B Max would suit you? Ford B-MAX – 2014 – Introducción – Ford España
Budget to loose circa 15% per annum in depreciation.

You might want to consider leasing. Contract hire takes away any concerns for 3 trouble free years motoring with an option to buy thereafter. You might be surprised to learn this can work out cheaper than outright purchase for some cars > Financiación Ford España - Financiación de vehículos con Ford Credit
Old Jan 9th 2015, 5:47 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
If your old car is over 10 years old it will be eligible for the government Plan PIVE where they scrap it and give you €2000 towards your new car.

There are some pretty big discounts on top of that as they are pretty desperate to sell.

When I bought a new car a year ago the total discount was 27%.

Don't buy a diesel. They are much more expensive and only worth buying if you do at least 15k a year. The new turbo petrol engines are now very efficient and brilliant to drive. The Ford 3 cylinder Ecoboost engine is excellent.

You should also look at the new Skoda Fabia. It has just won the What Car Car of the Year Award. VW reliability and technology at a sensible price. It's the same car as the VW Polo, SEAT Ibiza or Audi A1.
Sound advice.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary
Some good advice from these posts for you. Always stick with a "reputable" dealer, which probably means one of the big names.
Ask about a km zero car; i.e. one that you should get a discount on and is new but these cars have been on display in the showroom.
Whilst Japanese are still probably the most reliable, almost all cars these days are miles better than they used to be.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by missile

You might want to consider leasing. Contract hire takes away any concerns for 3 trouble free years motoring with an option to buy thereafter.
I would go along with that. In the UK nearly 80% of cars are bought on a PCP (personal contract purchase)

You pay a small deposit and three years of monthly payments. At the end of the period you either return the car or pay a sum to buy it. The sum to buy it can also be financed on a normal finance agreement.

The dealers in Spain, do not get the same margins as in the UK so cannot offer much in the way of discounts. The discounts are given from the manufacturer and they do seem to want people to take out finance deals and can give huge discounts if you do this.

They often give the discount off the deposit reducing it to only €1000 or so. On a straight finance deal you might get an additional discount of over €2000 plus an extended warranty thrown in.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Rosemary
Knowing where you live Rosemary is it really worth getting a new car.Your not far from the rail line to Valencia and the train is far cheaper than fuel and parking.If you have breakdown coverage they normally give priority to lone females.Add to that the fact you've got a 50-50 chance of a dent in the first month of ownership,and as Fred rightly said,put your bottom on the seat and turn the key to start loosing money
Old Jan 9th 2015, 8:39 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your input, I am not going to rush into it but think that I am leaning more and more towards changing it so that I feel more secure.

Daveinspain, one of the reasons for changing is that I have realised that for many, many months I have purely driven to Sueca and hopped on the train to Valencia or Gandia rather than bother to go elsewhere. I went to Benidorm for a week at Christmas so had to drive but was nervous about the whole journey.

Please keep the comments coming and give me any information that you think may be relevant.

Rosemary
Old Jan 9th 2015, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

I used the bus service quite often over the last year Rosemary and was pleasantly surprised,and not having to find and pay for parking is a big plus.But on the other hand if you've got it flaunt it.What did you have in mind? a nice 4X4 or something sportier

Last edited by davidinspain; Jan 9th 2015 at 8:53 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
I used the bus service quite often over the last year Rosemary and was pleasantly surprised,and not having to find and pay for parking is a big plus.But on the other hand if you've got it flaunt it.What did you have in mind? a nice 4X4 or something sportier
Not paid for parking since coming to Spain.

Now, now, me in a 4 X 4 or something sporty, I think not. You are the only person that I know who uses a sports car like a pick up truck!!!!

No basic and simple is all I want.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.