Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Be careful in Barcelona !! regards to pick pockets.

Be careful in Barcelona !! regards to pick pockets.

Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be careful in Barcelona !! regards to pick pockets.

Originally Posted by cricketman

As always, it is a matter of context. I felt much more scared walking back from the pub in the dark of London
I'll agree that I felt far more intimidated walking along Commercial Road at 1am on a Saturday morning. However, if you spend 10 hours a day sketching and painting on Paseo Arc de Triomf you will see what happens. Just ask the old guys playing boule there everyday. They see it also.

Ignore the advice at your own peril.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 11:09 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I lived on the "paseo arc de triumf", actually called "passeig lluis companys" for nearly 2 years

I used to walk around there and the nearby parc ciutadella every day. Never did I feel unsafe, although I did see a couple of tourists get their bag snatched

As always, it is a matter of context. I felt much more scared walking back from the pub in the dark of London
well at least that is an admission after telling me I am speaking rubbish !!

and yes, there are parts of London where you would want to feel scared, and not all in the older dismal areas either. Some of the more "up & coming" areas are more likely to have problems of all sorts.

but I thought the Barcelona was relatively "safe" with a lower incidence of the more violent crimes than places like London - its just the pickpocketing/bagsnatching that gives it a bad reputation.
and as that is a misdemeanour of lower level than parking and speeding - which are real "crime against person" then where is the will to put a stop to it.

`
Old Dec 1st 2012, 11:12 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
I'll agree that I felt far more intimidated walking along Commercial Road at 1am on a Saturday morning. However, if you spend 10 hours a day sketching and painting on Paseo Arc de Triomf you will see what happens. Just ask the old guys playing boule there everyday. They see it also.

Ignore the advice at your own peril.
you could feel intimidated walking down Commercial Road, PORTSMOUTH, at 1am but then there are many places around the world that come under that category which never get a mention (except on BES)

`
Old Dec 1st 2012, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by matthecool
To solve this from happening again, I bought a 20 euro phone lol
its not the fone - its the credit they want it for, which is an advantage of having a PAYGO contract - just ask anyone who has a decent contract, and they are liable for the payment as well.
if its a crap fone they dump it, if its a decent fone they will try to get €5 for a meal
there is a market for anything......
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:41 pm
Banned

leeloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I wonder how the good people of "Mugalluf" would take to zero tolerance policing,....or more especially the bad ones ?

Would it be racism I hear them cry as is often the case elsewhere, whilst the fluffy bunnies stand by with expressions of shock, horror at such terrible infringements of human rights?

Suppose it matters not that innocent folk are being mugged and beaten to a pulp to boot on a regular basis.
Obviouly much simpler not to bother and leave it as it is, somewhat akin to the frontline of a warzone.
yeah, pickpocketing
I also had some experience with thieves.
While being on tour, two girls from our group had their passports stolen and had many problems afterwards....
that is why I try to insure myself every time I travel somewhere.
my buy the regular policy at Globelink.co.uk that covers hijacking and lost baggage automatically. But I really hope that I won't experience all this!
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:26 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Best insurance is to dress as rough as a Badgers Arse.
People go out and buy so called designer gear or much more expensive stuff, not to mention the fancy jewellry, watches and iphones on show, simply to travel in or walk about town.
They simply set themselves up as no 1 targets.
I've rarely had a problem,
I'm just waiting of some kind hearted thief taking pity on me and giving me a couple of euros for a hot drink and a hotdog.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

MoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really nice

Best insurance is to dress as rough as a Badgers Arse.
People go out and buy so called designer gear or much more expensive stuff, not to mention the fancy jewellry, watches and iphones on show, simply to travel in or walk about town.
They simply set themselves up as no 1 targets.
I've rarely had a problem,
I'm just waiting of some kind hearted thief taking pity on me and giving me a couple of euros for a hot drink and a hotdog.
In Barcelona, anyone is a target. My friend is the hippie type - second hand clothes, dreadlocks etc. She got her bag stolen while we were waiting at a bus station and lost everything.

I think the pickpocketing/theft problem in Barcelona is the worst I've ever seen anywhere. The last time I lived in Spain (2005/6), it seemed like every single person I knew had something stolen in Barcelona. I was fine when I visited, but was so paranoid about my bag that I couldn't really relax and enjoy myself. There were scam artists and thieves everywhere. The last straw for me came when a friend of a friend collapsed and died of a heart attack after a guy grabbed his bag and ran up the stairs of the metro. I just have no interest in ever going back there until they sort out the crime problem. It's a beautiful city but it's not worth the stress.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:38 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MoonBaby
In Barcelona, anyone is a target. My friend is the hippie type - second hand clothes, dreadlocks etc. She got her bag stolen while we were waiting at a bus station and lost everything.

I think the pickpocketing/theft problem in Barcelona is the worst I've ever seen anywhere. The last time I lived in Spain (2005/6), it seemed like every single person I knew had something stolen in Barcelona. I was fine when I visited, but was so paranoid about my bag that I couldn't really relax and enjoy myself. There were scam artists and thieves everywhere. The last straw for me came when a friend of a friend collapsed and died of a heart attack after a guy grabbed his bag and ran up the stairs of the metro. I just have no interest in ever going back there until they sort out the crime problem. It's a beautiful city but it's not worth the stress.
I agree.
The cops look on these things as minor crimes of no importance, but do not seem to consider the extent of the stress being caused as in the instance you mention, as well as many others where unsuspecting visitors are left with absolutely nothing and nowhere of any great help to turn to.

In my book such mental stress can be every bit as harmful as violence and in some cases more so.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 12:12 pm
Banned

leeloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I would also agree with you guys, it is good idea to look like other locals wearing simple clothes, and whenever you take any jewellery with you, you becomes a target for thieves! ((
Old Dec 5th 2012, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeloo
Yeah, I would also agree with you guys, it is good idea to look like other locals wearing simple clothes, and whenever you take any jewellery with you, you becomes a target for thieves! ((
Wearing simple clothes

Having spent 2 years being swarmed by tourists in Barcelona, I can say that the tourits usually dress much worse and "simpler" than the locals.

Easy to spot though, locals dont wear shorts on a weekday for example, and no sandals with socks and baseball caps

I'd also bet that the average local living in the centre of Barcelona is wealthier than the average tourist. Tourists are targeted because they are unaware of their environment, not because they are wealthy
Old Dec 5th 2012, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Wearing simple clothes

Having spent 2 years being swarmed by tourists in Barcelona, I can say that the tourits usually dress much worse and "simpler" than the locals.

Easy to spot though, locals dont wear shorts on a weekday for example, and no sandals with socks and baseball caps
Well, I must agree with that. I remember a guest at a hotel I stayed in in Amsterdam complaining that he'd had all his personal possessions stolen the day before. As I looked at him wearing his shorts, blinding white trainers with long socks, baseball cap and bumbag around his waist, I thought he couldn't look more of a target if he tried.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:19 pm
On the road again.

Wearing simple clothes

Not necessarilly.
Barcelona has just brought in a new law aimed at stopping scuffy locals from wandering around town bare chested.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarilly.
Barcelona has just brought in a new law aimed at stopping scuffy locals from wandering around town bare chested.
That wasnt aimed at locals at all, it was aimed at tourists

Remember, only London gets more tourists than Barcelona in the world - and Barcelona is only a mid-sized city. So many tourists actually ruins the city in my opinion
Old Dec 5th 2012, 6:38 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but you feel scared if your neighbour has expired ITV on her Range Rover. Presumably a member of the Columbian cocaine cartel, I reckon.

Last edited by amideislas; Dec 5th 2012 at 6:43 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 6:42 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Remember, only London gets more tourists than Barcelona in the world - and Barcelona is only a mid-sized city. So many tourists actually ruins the city in my opinion
Pesky tourists. We have the world's best economy and don't need your decadent lifestyle and money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.