Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Care Homes for the Elderly

Care Homes for the Elderly

Old Dec 23rd 2020, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Care Homes for the Elderly

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes, and that is why some spammers might just not get picked up, if they just join in in a general discussion. Thankfully the vast majority aren't clever enough.
Spammers???
Where did that come from?
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

VEDShappy and VFR,

I was not intending to accuse anyone of anything.

There is nothing wrong with anonymity as such and it allows us to be more open about the situation we find ourselves in, as our identity is not known to the group.

I was pointing out that the OP could provide more detail of their situation without worrying that it would compromise their situation. There was no intention on my part to be “accusatory”. I felt that more info would have been helpful so that any comments/advice could be made from a more informed perspective. I hope that is now clear?

Meanwhile the OP has made a further post I see.
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Username 100
Thank you for your replies, but I have just been told that I am not eligable for a Care home, as I cease to be a European Citizen from Jan 1st.
Does that mean that you then retain your British citizenship?

Regards
jonboy
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
VEDShappy and VFR,

I was not intending to accuse anyone of anything.

There is nothing wrong with anonymity as such and it allows us to be more open about the situation we find ourselves in, as our identity is not known to the group.

I was pointing out that the OP could provide more detail of their situation without worrying that it would compromise their situation. There was no intention on my part to be “accusatory”. I felt that more info would have been helpful so that any comments/advice could be made from a more informed perspective. I hope that is now clear?

Meanwhile the OP has made a further post I see.
My reply to Rosemary's post cleared it up I thought
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by VEDShappy
My reply to Rosemary's post cleared it up I thought
Sorry, I was so busy huffing and puffing that I did not fully register it.

Regards

Jonboy
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, I was so busy huffing and puffing that I did not fully register it.

Regards

Jonboy
No bother.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Rather than going into a care home, would it not be better to stay in your own place and pay for some help a few hours a day ? Good luck whatever outcome you go for/
Old Dec 28th 2020, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Grim as they might be, I suspect that Care Homes for the Elderly in the UK are better than the alternative in Spain. But then the OP might not be eligible in UK since (s)he has not been "habitually resident" in that jurisdiction
You may have had a bad experience or perhaps you believe the horror stories in the Daily Mail et al but the vast majority of care/nursing homes in the UK do a very good job of looking after folk and thats from my personal experience of having family members in care and of working in some from time to time.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by scot47
Rather than going into a care home, would it not be better to stay in your own place and pay for some help a few hours a day ? Good luck whatever outcome you go for/
That is what I would prefer! Even if you would need 10/12 hours a day help, that is better and less expensive than a care home.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pilou
That is what I would prefer! Even if you would need 10/12 hours a day help, that is better and less expensive than a care home.
I can understand that as it allows the one cared for to exercise more control over the situation. Even better if there are friends/family to oversee and guide. I do tend to believe that "horror stories" reported in the press as I have worked in care homes and hospitals and have seen what abuse can happen in some of those settings.
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand that as it allows the one cared for to exercise more control over the situation. Even better if there are friends/family to oversee and guide. I do tend to believe that "horror stories" reported in the press as I have worked in care homes and hospitals and have seen what abuse can happen in some of those settings.
And hospitals, my my, it gets worse. What was the outcome of the official complaints they you made to the relevant authorities? What happened to the staff involved? Care home managers? Ward Managers? You did report the incidents of course? If I were you I'd get in touch with The Daily Heil or The Sun, get a few quid for your stories.

Things can and do go wrong from time to time but don't paint a picture of it being common practise to mistreat the elderly, that just does not happen.
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bob_bob
And hospitals, my my, it gets worse. What was the outcome of the official complaints they you made to the relevant authorities? What happened to the staff involved? Care home managers? Ward Managers? You did report the incidents of course? If I were you I'd get in touch with The Daily Heil or The Sun, get a few quid for your stories.

Things can and do go wrong from time to time but don't paint a picture of it being common practise to mistreat the elderly, that just does not happen.
It was reported and dealt with inadequately to begin with but later more thoroughly. I did say "can happen in some of those settings". The final outcome happened a few years later. I will look for the official report title and try and find a link.

You do seem to take the idea of abuse in institutions as a bit of a no, no. I would not wish to make money from another persons abuse and resent your suggestion of that. If you wish you can stick your head in the sand and pretend nothing at all untoward happens in the sacred care sector. Good luck with that.
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

bob_bob

I usually see your posts and get the impression that you have a fairly balanced view on things, going by your replies and use of language.

However, recently on this group more posters are becoming antagonistic and challenging to one another. Good examples of this style are VEDShappy & thegolfer who get stuck in and cannot leave well enough alone.

Is it the Brexit effect, too much “Christmas Cheer” or Pandemic pandemonium? Perhaps they wish to stir the group up and stimulate the number of posts? I do not know which but I do feel the group is the worse for it. The use of emotive language and taunts is not helpful to anyone but yourself.

“If I were you I'd get in touch with The Daily Heil or The Sun, get a few quid for your stories.

Regards

jonboy
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 9:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has thanked people for their replies and has stated that he is not eligible for a place in a home for the elderly. The discussion has turned into a discussion about difficulties in care homes in the UK so although interesting it is no longer relevant to the OP therefore I am closing the thread.

Rosemary