Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car SUMA and car address change advise.

Car SUMA and car address change advise.

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of
Default Car SUMA and car address change advise.

We traded our Fiat Punto in last July for a Suzuki Swift from a dutch english speaking garage. When we bought the car we paid the 40 euros SUMA on it.
Now everyone's SUMA is due again by May so we went to pay it this morning and change our address with them because we recently moved 4 weeks ago.
The woman in SUMA didn't speak english but I do speak better spanish than what I actually understand(still very much learning) so I didn't want to ask too many questions incase I had trouble understanding the reply but basically the Fiat Punto is still in my name but she says it was purchased on the 27th Feb 2009, but I was responsible for paying the SUMA on the Punto and my Swift. She gave me the factura to take back to the garage where I traded the punto in and I have also paid upto date the SUMA for my Swift.

The dutch guy at the garage just took the paper off me and said "You didn't pay it did you" of which I replied "no"

So my first question is, Shouldn't the garage owner have sorted all this out with SUMA when the new owner bought the Punto in Feb 2009? When I bought the Suzuki from him the SUMA papers were automatically transferred into my name. I would have thought Trafico may have automatically changed SUMA into the new owners name or the guy at the garage's job to do.

Ok now for my second question. We now need to change our car papers over into our new address. Apparently you can do it by going into Alicante City but it is meant to be a right unorganised ordeal and isn't straight forward, plus its 40km from Benidorm. Ive also heard that the Gestoria will do this for you at a price. Ive heard it could be 20-30 euros which would suit me. Anyone any experience in doing this and know if it is about this price to change your address??. *(not to get mixed up with transferring car papers to a new owner which is over 200 euros)

Last edited by spainboy; Apr 23rd 2009 at 11:55 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:16 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car SUMA and car address change advise.

Actually id be interested in hearing about this myself, as I have moved since buying my car and its still registered at the old address.. which altho is literally only down the road. It might explain why i've never had any notification of paying any tax or a chase up on that ickle biddy parking fine i had 6 months ago (which I accidently lost the slip for) oops hehe!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Whoever owns the car on January 1st gets the SUMA bill, you should NOT have had to pay it on the car you bought. To change the address, best to use a gestor as AFAIK it involves a trip to traffico.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Whoever owns the car on January 1st gets the SUMA bill, you should NOT have had to pay it on the car you bought. To change the address, best to use a gestor as AFAIK it involves a trip to traffico.
I guessed that.
anyone got any experience of prices?

And my first question? Why did I get the bill and who is meant to change that over? The garage owner?
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:32 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainboy
I guessed that.
anyone got any experience of prices?

And my first question? Why did I get the bill and who is meant to change that over? The garage owner?
That should be changed over by the dealer or person who buys the car. You will continue to get SUMA bills till that happens. I part exchanged my car on November, it wasn't sold till after the 1st January, I got the SUMA, had to pay it and then the dealer gave me my money back.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikelincs
That should be changed over by the dealer or person who buys the car. You will continue to get SUMA bills till that happens. I part exchanged my car on November, it wasn't sold till after the 1st January, I got the SUMA, had to pay it and then the dealer gave me my money back.
Ok. He has the paper now and I think all Sumas are due early in May so I will check with Suma in a couple weeks to make sure it has been changed over.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 2:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainboy
We traded our Fiat Punto in last July for a Suzuki Swift from a dutch english speaking garage. When we bought the car we paid the 40 euros SUMA on it.
Now everyone's SUMA is due again by May so we went to pay it this morning and change our address with them because we recently moved 4 weeks ago.
The woman in SUMA didn't speak english but I do speak better spanish than what I actually understand(still very much learning) so I didn't want to ask too many questions incase I had trouble understanding the reply but basically the Fiat Punto is still in my name but she says it was purchased on the 27th Feb 2009, but I was responsible for paying the SUMA on the Punto and my Swift. She gave me the factura to take back to the garage where I traded the punto in and I have also paid upto date the SUMA for my Swift.

The dutch guy at the garage just took the paper off me and said "You didn't pay it did you" of which I replied "no"

So my first question is, Shouldn't the garage owner have sorted all this out with SUMA when the new owner bought the Punto in Feb 2009? When I bought the Suzuki from him the SUMA papers were automatically transferred into my name. I would have thought Trafico may have automatically changed SUMA into the new owners name or the guy at the garage's job to do.

Ok now for my second question. We now need to change our car papers over into our new address. Apparently you can do it by going into Alicante City but it is meant to be a right unorganised ordeal and isn't straight forward, plus its 40km from Benidorm. Ive also heard that the Gestoria will do this for you at a price. Ive heard it could be 20-30 euros which would suit me. Anyone any experience in doing this and know if it is about this price to change your address??. *(not to get mixed up with transferring car papers to a new owner which is over 200 euros)
The guy changed the address at the council office when we paid the bill. ;-))
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Pay the fee - we go down to Trafico regularly and it´s a minefield. You go with everthing that is needed according to the website etc. etc. Get down there and told no that´s not right we also need this. Argue the toss, get sent away for the piece of paper you didn´t have and didn´t think was needed and go the following week. You then get what you needed without the additional piece of paper 'cause you saw someone else and we daren´t charge the client for the additional trip
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Actually id be interested in hearing about this myself, as I have moved since buying my car and its still registered at the old address.. which altho is literally only down the road. It might explain why i've never had any notification of paying any tax or a chase up on that ickle biddy parking fine i had 6 months ago (which I accidently lost the slip for) oops hehe!
onlineamiga - that ickle biddy parking fine you had 6 months ago which you haven´t paid could turn into a really big fine for non payment. What happened to us is that we had 360 euros just taken straight out of our Spanish bank account for non payment of a fine because we never received notification as our address had changed and we hadn´t changed it with Traffico.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
onlineamiga - that ickle biddy parking fine you had 6 months ago which you haven´t paid could turn into a really big fine for non payment. What happened to us is that we had 360 euros just taken straight out of our Spanish bank account for non payment of a fine because we never received notification as our address had changed and we hadn´t changed it with Traffico.
Thats true. Happened to me a few years back on a speeding fine. Didnt even know I was done as it was a hidden camera. Fine got sent to old address which i never knew and then I got a massive bill out of my bank 1 year later.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Or not as the case may be. Local (crazy but true) policy where I live is that you can notch up TWELVE parking tickets before they actually pursue the fine. Everyone here knows that if you get a ticket you may as well just treat it as a "warning" and chuck it in the bin.

But I should stress that this is a local policy where I live....I have no idea what the policy is where you live.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
Or not as the case may be. Local (crazy but true) policy where I live is that you can notch up TWELVE parking tickets before they actually pursue the fine. Everyone here knows that if you get a ticket you may as well just treat it as a "warning" and chuck it in the bin.

But I should stress that this is a local policy where I live....I have no idea what the policy is where you live.
Is it worth it!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Is it worth it!
Is what worth it? The issuing of the tickets?

I guess not. The revenue from the fines must be virtually nil. And let's face it, most people would have changed their car before they reached 12 tickets so the counter would go back down to zero again! I guess they just aren't too bothered about issuing fines here and prefer to just warn people.