British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Car - Rent to Buy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/car-rent-buy-707128/)

Tinky Feb 27th 2011 11:42 am

Car - Rent to Buy

Hopefully someone can help, as we all know, Spanish used cars are more expensive than most other countries. I have heard there are rent to buy schemes out there, anyone know where to search for this? My friend Google has for the first time not given me any answers:(

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

mrsjdr Feb 27th 2011 5:02 pm

Re: Car - Rent to Buy

Try the car hire companies, especialy Crown, as they sell off their fleets and/or lease to sell after a certain time

Tinky Feb 27th 2011 9:30 pm

Thank you MrsJDR, good suggestion :)

chrisjolly Feb 27th 2011 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Tinky (Post 9204958)
Hopefully someone can help, as we all know, Spanish used cars are more expensive than most other countries. I have heard there are rent to buy schemes out there, anyone know where to search for this? My friend Google has for the first time not given me any answers:(

If you are anywhere near El Rosario on the road from Marvella to Fuengirola there is a car hire company called Yellow Cars and they have been going for years. I have bought two ex hire cars from them and although they are expensive compared with UK prices they are regularly maintained and excelllent value. Its much easier to buy than hire...

chrisjolly Feb 27th 2011 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tinky (Post 9204958)

If you are anywhere near El Rosario on the road from Marbella to Fuengirola there is a car hire company called Yellow Cars and they have been going for years. I have bought two ex hire cars from them and although they are expensive compared with UK prices they are regularly maintained and excelllent value. Its much easier to buy than hire...

Chiclanagir Feb 28th 2011 10:41 am

What you are looking for is a Personal Contract Purchase or PCP. It is like contract hire for businesses but you have an option at the end to purchase. Back in the UK I used to sell this type of contract and in fact purchased two vehicles this way a Mini and a VW. The Mini I returned at the end of the contract period as we were moving to Spain but the VW we paid the end price and kept it and after 12 years is still going strong (crossed fingers). It does mean you get all the benefits of a new vehicle, i.e. manufacturers warranty which nowadays lasts for up to five years or so plus some companies include free servicing and breakdown. I know my Mini had this, so saving money. Bearing in mind that an old car breaks down more and is less fuel efficient. For me it is definitely the way to go, however, the down side is the Spanish drivers who usually leave a car with many scrapes.

Tinky Feb 28th 2011 3:52 pm

Thank you both for your input, much appreciated. I would think PCP wouldn't be accepted as I work in Gib. I agree with the benefits of a new car, and if I had the patience, rather have saved up to buy one as when it comes to value for money (in a twisted sort of a way).

I know First Car Group had a scheme where you could put a down payment, and pay off the car within a set time period. Unlike a finance package, they would own the car until all had been paid off. And of course, no issues with working in Gib. However they stopped this a year ago, however I was hoping other companies were doing something similar.

If not, it will have to be a case of accepting a cheap run around for now, wait and save:)

Thanks again for all your advice, much appreciated :)

Chiclanagir Feb 28th 2011 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tinky (Post 9207976)
Thank you both for your input, much appreciated. I would think PCP wouldn't be accepted as I work in Gib. I agree with the benefits of a new car, and if I had the patience, rather have saved up to buy one as when it comes to value for money (in a twisted sort of a way).

I know First Car Group had a scheme where you could put a down payment, and pay off the car within a set time period. Unlike a finance package, they would own the car until all had been paid off. And of course, no issues with working in Gib. However they stopped this a year ago, however I was hoping other companies were doing something similar.

If not, it will have to be a case of accepting a cheap run around for now, wait and save:)

Thanks again for all your advice, much appreciated :)

Any vehicle which you buy on finance is owned by the finance company until you pay off a certain amount. Just like your house is until you pay off your mortgage. I don´t get the bit about working in Gib?

Tinky Feb 28th 2011 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 9207983)
Any vehicle which you buy on finance is owned by the finance company until you pay off a certain amount. Just like your house is until you pay off your mortgage. I don´t get the bit about working in Gib?

Sorry, I just realised what I wrote! A blonde moment :)

Anyway, with working in Gib, it seems to be an issue with my contract is in English, as I suppose they do credit checks and need documents to support that you can afford this? With rent to buy, as you pay a large down payment, this is normally not an issue.

Thank you again for all your help.

Chiclanagir Feb 28th 2011 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tinky (Post 9208088)
Sorry, I just realised what I wrote! A blonde moment :)

Anyway, with working in Gib, it seems to be an issue with my contract is in English, as I suppose they do credit checks and need documents to support that you can afford this? With rent to buy, as you pay a large down payment, this is normally not an issue.

Thank you again for all your help.

PCP is normally three payments up front. However with any type of finance contract you would have to be credit checked. Always a problem living in one country and working in another. Try popping in to one of the motor dealers in Gib and speaking to them.

Tinky Feb 28th 2011 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 9208154)
PCP is normally three payments up front. However with any type of finance contract you would have to be credit checked. Always a problem living in one country and working in another. Try popping in to one of the motor dealers in Gib and speaking to them.

Tell me about it :) Without a Gib ID and address = no chance of a Gib registered car :(

adra04778 Feb 28th 2011 5:40 pm

If you look on the car hire web sites, most have a car for sale part, but If I recall correctly, ex hire cars have to be ITV'D more often than a normal bought car.
If you have the cash, there are a few ex pats selling on varies forums, you could bag a bargain !

shaggymon Feb 28th 2011 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by adra04778 (Post 9208303)
If I recall correctly, ex hire cars have to be ITV'D more often than a normal bought car.

This is not the case. Cars in Spain require ITV from 4 years of age. Every 2 years up to 10 years old then every year. Ex-hire cars are no different.

adra04778 Feb 28th 2011 7:52 pm

I was going to buy a ex hire car some years ago, it was different then, but it must of changed, hire cars had to have a ITV every twelve months from new at that time, but I haven't kept up with the legislation.:o

jdr Feb 28th 2011 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by shaggymon (Post 9208483)
This is not the case. Cars in Spain require ITV from 4 years of age. Every 2 years up to 10 years old then every year. Ex-hire cars are no different.

Oh yes they are.