British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Car registration,Spanish to UK, back to Spanish (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/car-registration-spanish-uk-back-spanish-387408/)

jonsol Jul 29th 2006 11:04 pm

Car registration,Spanish to UK, back to Spanish

Hi, Can anyone tell me that if a car with Spanish plates is then registered in the U.K., and then taken to Spain, and after time registered AGAIN on Spanish plates, would it be an advantage to keep hold of the original (spanish ) documents, ie., would it help it to get its ITV when it was necessary, or would it not make any difference ?

zel Jul 30th 2006 2:08 pm

Re: Car registration,Spanish to UK, back to Spanish

Originally Posted by jonsol
Hi, Can anyone tell me that if a car with Spanish plates is then registered in the U.K., and then taken to Spain, and after time registered AGAIN on Spanish plates, would it be an advantage to keep hold of the original (spanish ) documents, ie., would it help it to get its ITV when it was necessary, or would it not make any difference ?

Well it couldn't hurt keeping all the documentation you have for the vehicle but it will not change much if anything at all in terms of making it easier to reg in the countries.

The only thing that will help is if within the timeframe your ITV is still valid when you re-register it back in Spain.

When you get to the UK with your Spanish registered vehicle you will have to have several modifications done to the vehicle to make it road legal in the UK.

You will also need all the Spanish registration documents and the EU type approval document certificate and a receipt for the modification work that has been carried out.

You will also need a valid MOT on the vehicle if it's more than 3 years old.

And once you re-reg it within Spain you will have to reverse most of the modifications and perhaps pay import duty, depending on your resident status.

Most people will say that when you leave Spain you can just keep the Spanish documents/plates and then just slap them on when you go back to Spain, but in the vast majority of cases the DVLA will de-register the vehicle in Spain and also stamp all over the Spanish reg documents.

Hope this has helped.

jonsol Jul 30th 2006 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by zel
Well it couldn't hurt keeping all the documentation you have for the vehicle but it will not change much if anything at all in terms of making it easier to reg in the countries.

The only thing that will help is if within the timeframe your ITV is still valid when you re-register it back in Spain.

When you get to the UK with your Spanish registered vehicle you will have to have several modifications done to the vehicle to make it road legal in the UK.

You will also need all the Spanish registration documents and the EU type approval document certificate and a receipt for the modification work that has been carried out.

You will also need a valid MOT on the vehicle if it's more than 3 years old.

And once you re-reg it within Spain you will have to reverse most of the modifications and perhaps pay import duty, depending on your resident status.

Most people will say that when you leave Spain you can just keep the Spanish documents/plates and then just slap them on when you go back to Spain, but in the vast majority of cases the DVLA will de-register the vehicle in Spain and also stamp all over the Spanish reg documents.

Hope this has helped.

O.K., Thanks for that , have seen a Spanish plated car parked nearby, that seems to going nowhere,its rarely moved, it does not seem to have any tax disc on it ,and although its a fairly modern model it has the old style plates on it so it must be due for its ITV soon. Not sure if the people who "seem " to own it realise the legality of keeping it on the road . I just thought that if I explaned things to the owner, that I might be able to buy it from him/her, at a bargain price, with the hope that my plans to live in Spain soon materialise, and then would have a car from day one.

mikelincs Jul 30th 2006 6:01 pm

O.K., Thanks for that , have seen a Spanish plated car parked nearby, that seems to going nowhere,its rarely moved, it does not seem to have any tax disc on it ,and although its a fairly modern model it has the old style plates on it so it must be due for its ITV soon. Not sure if the people who "seem " to own it realise the legality of keeping it on the road . I just thought that if I explaned things to the owner, that I might be able to buy it from him/her, at a bargain price, with the hope that my plans to live in Spain soon materialise, and then would have a car from day one.

Don't forget, spanish cars do not have a tax disc, all you have is the receipt for the payment of the tax, that is what the police will be looking for if you are stopped, same goes for insurance, it's not the policy, but the receipt they want to see. Would think that that would be an expensive way of getting a LHD car.

jonsol Jul 30th 2006 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Don't forget, spanish cars do not have a tax disc, all you have is the receipt for the payment of the tax, that is what the police will be looking for if you are stopped, same goes for insurance, it's not the policy, but the receipt they want to see. Would think that that would be an expensive way of getting a LHD car.

O.K., Many thanks for your help

jonsol Jul 30th 2006 6:18 pm

O.K., Many thanks for your help

Do you know the costs involved when registering a foreign plated car to a u.k. plate , and also re-registering it to Spanish plates ?

mikelincs Jul 30th 2006 9:21 pm

Do you know the costs involved when registering a foreign plated car to a u.k. plate , and also re-registering it to Spanish plates ?

Not sure of the cost in the UK, but I thnk it's about €500 to get it rereg here, plus you ahve two sets of alterations to do.

jonsol Jul 30th 2006 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not sure of the cost in the UK, but I thnk it's about €500 to get it rereg here, plus you ahve two sets of alterations to do.

Thanks, once again.

zel Jul 31st 2006 8:29 am

Thanks, once again.

Also don't forget that there could be Import Duty payable once you re-register it within Spain (depending on your resident status)

As far as registering it in the UK it will cost circa £150 + Road Tax/Insurance, this is not including any costs of gaining the EU type approval certificate which is general around £70

Modification work pricing is a how long is a piece of string really, depending on what vehicle it is. It can be as little as £3-500 or upwards of a few thousand.

The only good thing is once the speedo cluster is replaced to MPH by UK law it has to have a dual display (MPH & KMH) so you won't have to change that back when you re-reg it within Spain.

Personaly I would wait until you're concrete with a timescale until you purchase a LHD car, unless of course you get the deal of the century! :)

jonsol Jul 31st 2006 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by zel
Also don't forget that there could be Import Duty payable once you re-register it within Spain (depending on your resident status)

As far as registering it in the UK it will cost circa £150 + Road Tax/Insurance, this is not including any costs of gaining the EU type approval certificate which is general around £70

Modification work pricing is a how long is a piece of string really, depending on what vehicle it is. It can be as little as £3-500 or upwards of a few thousand.

The only good thing is once the speedo cluster is replaced to MPH by UK law it has to have a dual display (MPH & KMH) so you won't have to change that back when you re-reg it within Spain.

Personaly I would wait until you're concrete with a timescale until you purchase a LHD car, unless of course you get the deal of the century! :)

Many thanks for that info, its not going to be worth it now that I can see the possible cost involved, so will wait until I get a place first. Once again, thanks to those who have replied.