British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Car Purchase in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/car-purchase-spain-374576/)

Unexpat May 20th 2006 2:41 am

Re: Car Purchase in Spain

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
you have to have a padron and NIE to buy a car jdr. you CAN have these and still be non-resident - i have them - i believe by "non-resident" they do live here but do not hold a spanish residency card?

Disagree, kind of. You can have a NIE and be non-resident, but if you have applied for empadronamiento then you have declared your intention to be resident and you will be treated as such, even though you may "flit about" in and out of the country to the extent that you spend very little time here. It's a fine line, the way I see it.

For buying a car, I'm pretty sure that you only need a NIE and a Spanish address (and the money obviously), not empadronamiento. Utility bills will suffice to prove that you "live" at the aforementioned address. At least that is all I was asked for at a main dealer - although I have not yet bought the car and I am already empadronado.

The dealer needs to register the car purchaser with the hacienda and you need to pay the appropriate purchase taxes (for a dealer sourced/new car) and the ownership of that vehicle will be of interest to the hacienda for wealth tax purposes, if you are resident.

Mitzyboy May 20th 2006 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Disagree, kind of. You can have a NIE and be non-resident, but if you have applied for empadronamiento then you have declared your intention to be resident and you will be treated as such, even though you may "flit about" in and out of the country to the extent that you spend very little time here. It's a fine line, the way I see it.

For buying a car, I'm pretty sure that you only need a NIE and a Spanish address (and the money obviously), not empadronamiento. Utility bills will suffice to prove that you "live" at the aforementioned address. At least that is all I was asked for at a main dealer - although I have not yet bought the car and I am already empadronado.

The dealer needs to register the car purchaser with the hacienda and you need to pay the appropriate purchase taxes (for a dealer sourced/new car) and the ownership of that vehicle will be of interest to the hacienda for wealth tax purposes, if you are resident.

A friend of mine rents his apartment and bought a car as a run around when he is in Spain. He just used his address and his NIE to purchase.

Unexpat May 20th 2006 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
A friend of mine rents his apartment and bought a car as a run around when he is in Spain. He just used his address and his NIE to purchase.

*nod*

Spanishliferules May 20th 2006 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Doesn't matter though does it? Even if he was spanish insured and UK mot'd, you still can't keep it on UK plates for that amount of time. You can' ITV a british plated car can you?

I have a UK plated car but it is a left hooker bought from Germany, This car will comply to spanish registration rules such as lights speedo reading etc. one of the things I have to do before I can register it on Spanish plates is get an ITV so yes you can ITV a British plated car. the only draw back with this as i understand it is it can't be driven back to the UK. but is valid across the rest of Europe. But once plated on Spanish plate you can take it back to the UK.

As regards our dear Brussels I have been told that the registration transfer tax, that the Spanish charge for re registration, replaced import duty and as such is forbidden under free trade in Europe, I believe someone is challenging it through the European courts

From a time point of view if stopped as indeed I have been a few times by the local and guardia police, I can't see that any of my documentation gives a date to when the car was bought into the country. the only thing that can point to this is resdencia.

Saludos

jdr May 20th 2006 3:49 am

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
you have to have a padron and NIE to buy a car jdr. you CAN have these and still be non-resident - i have them - i believe by "non-resident" they do live here but do not hold a spanish residency card?

You only need an NIE and proof of address to buy a car, but if you take out a padron you are saying that you live here permanently.

Beachcomber May 20th 2006 4:23 am

Not so. You can register on the padrón as a non-resident property owner and, certainly in my experience, you need a current padrón certificate to buy a car.

jdr May 20th 2006 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Not so. You can register on the padrón as a non-resident property owner and, certainly in my experience, you need a current padrón certificate to buy a car.

I got 2 cars with just an NIE and an elec bill, also I cant find anything about being a non resident on the padron ?
quote :
"The "padrón" or "certificado de empadronamiento" refers to the process of registering with the town hall as a resident of your municipality"

Beachcomber May 20th 2006 6:10 am

I know it varies from place to place but a friend came to me recently and said that the garage where he was buying his car had told him he needed a certificado de empadronamiento.

I went with him to his local Town Hall taking his NIE, passport and escritura and despite making it quite clear that he was a non-resident they registered him and gave him the certificate there and then! http://img10.picsplace.to/5/I_Dunno.gif

jdr May 20th 2006 7:52 am

I know it varies from place to place but a friend came to me recently and said that the garage where he was buying his car had told him he needed a certificado de empadronamiento.

I went with him to his local Town Hall taking his NIE, passport and escritura and despite making it quite clear that he was a non-resident they registered him and gave him the certificate there and then! http://img10.picsplace.to/5/I_Dunno.gif

Typical Spain, they change the rules to suit themselves.
Perhaps this is a way to make more people get the certificado de empadronamiento so that the municipality gets the appropriate funding for the services. ;)

Beachcomber May 20th 2006 8:02 am

Probably so.

The funding they get from central government is based on the number of people registered in the municipality.

You can see their point, though, and what bugs me is that the foreigners who complain about lack of services or having to wait in a queue at the medical centre etc are usually the very ones who are living and even working here illegally who contribute nothing and are not even registered on the padrón. :mad:

Gadget May 20th 2006 7:04 pm

Probably so.

The funding they get from central government is based on the number of people registered in the municipality.

You can see their point, though, and what bugs me is that the foreigners who complain about lack of services or having to wait in a queue at the medical centre etc are usually the very ones who are living and even working here illegally who contribute nothing and are not even registered on the padrón. :mad:

Hi,

it is exactly that! Where I live, Gran Alacant near Alicante, everyone is encouraged to enrol on the padron, as this gives more services for the area, police etc. I registered a year or so ago and made it clear that I was a non-resident at the time. Rightly or wrongly, I believe that the more people are registered - the more services there will be for the area.

Cheers

Gadget

maryg May 20th 2006 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Gadget
Hi,

it is exactly that! Where I live, Gran Alacant near Alicante, everyone is encouraged to enrol on the padron, as this gives more services for the area, police etc. I registered a year or so ago and made it clear that I was a non-resident at the time. Rightly or wrongly, I believe that the more people are registered - the more services there will be for the area.

Cheers

Gadget

I applied for building permission at the local town hall, they said I needed a postal address so I went to get a po box at the Correo.....couldn't have one without a padron......back to the town hall, where a lovely helpful lady did it there and then for me, I told her I was not resident yet. Unfortunately she hadn't got time to do my husbands so he'll have to get his next time over. I think it's important even if you're not resident to register for the padron.......that way you're not draining the local funds. Theres enough parasites in uk.......and look how thats going.......:beer:
Mary

Mitzyboy May 20th 2006 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by maryg
I applied for building permission at the local town hall, they said I needed a postal address so I went to get a po box at the Correo.....couldn't have one without a padron......back to the town hall, where a lovely helpful lady did it there and then for me, I told her I was not resident yet. Unfortunately she hadn't got time to do my husbands so he'll have to get his next time over. I think it's important even if you're not resident to register for the padron.......that way you're not draining the local funds. Theres enough parasites in uk.......and look how thats going.......:beer:
Mary

Well I didn't realise that you could do that ... I will make sure its one of the things I do when next there.

bfg69bug May 21st 2006 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Spanishliferules
one of the things I have to do before I can register it on Spanish plates is get an ITV so yes you can ITV a British plated car.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: why does nobody actually read what i write...

to transfer your plates you first have to have a technical inspection of conformity to spanish standards, and then an itv, so yes, (for the hundredth time) you CAN itv an english plated car.

i never said you couldn´t. you can itv anything, the question is that it has no meaning to a foreign plated vehicle, it doesn´t make the car legal in the country of manufacture. ie u cant itv an english car and have english insurance.

Originally Posted by mitzyboy
Well I didn't realise that you could do that ... I will make sure its one of the things I do when next there.

yep...i thought i was right but i thought one of ya´ll would know better so i didn´t reply yet ;) its not so much that a padron makes u a resident...more that it ...lets the government see how many people are in the town so the town is allowed to grow with more doctors and chemists and police etc :)

jdr May 21st 2006 6:13 am

I still cant see how you can legally claim to be a resident and not live here ?
"The "padrón" or "certificado de empadronamiento" refers to the process of registering with the town hall as a resident of your municipality"