Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Purchase/Insurance Legality

Car Purchase/Insurance Legality

Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:52 am
Just Joined

kenroyce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Purchase/Insurance Legality

Hi we at present stay over in Spain for five month of the year renting a villa.
I would like to know how can I get Nie Nunber when I do not have an address also I do not have a Spanish bank account so cannot purchase a car. I have my English car here with me but we would like to stay longer and would like to be legal.
I have been reading in the local papers that it is illegal for the Spanish companies to insure a British car also you cannot get a ITV. My English insurance is for the year but as it is illegal to spend more than six month here without changing the plates and driving licence this would also be invalid if I go over the six month.
Looking at the broader picture there must be so many illegal cars on the roads over here judging from the amount of Brits you see driving UK registered cars.
I also thought being in the EU things would have got easier but that is not the case
Help what should I do. Thanking you all in advance
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:50 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Purchase/Insurance Legality

If you are renting a villa you should use that address, no?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:17 am
Just Joined

kenroyce is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you I thought you had to have a permanent address. But if that works great
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:31 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

As you correctly pointed out, if you stay anywhere for longer than six months it should be considered your permanent address.

What I can see now is it raises another question; what to do you do with your UK registered car? You will not be in the UK for longer than the permanent residency period.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kenroyce
I would like to know how can I get Nie Nunber when I do not have an address also I do not have a Spanish bank account so cannot purchase a car. I have my English car here with me but we would like to stay longer and would like to be legal.
I have been reading in the local papers that it is illegal for the Spanish companies to insure a British car also you cannot get a ITV. My English insurance is for the year but as it is illegal to spend more than six month here without changing the plates and driving licence this would also be invalid if I go over the six month.
Looking at the broader picture there must be so many illegal cars on the roads over here judging from the amount of Brits you see driving UK registered cars.
I also thought being in the EU things would have got easier but that is not the case
You can get valid insurance for spain on UK cars that cover you for a year and more in spain,regardless of being resident or not,its a grey area within the law but I can vouch it is valid insurance (liberty seguros).
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:29 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
You can get valid insurance for spain on UK cars that cover you for a year and more in spain,regardless of being resident or not,its a grey area within the law but I can vouch it is valid insurance (liberty seguros).
What you mean to say is you have been paid out on a claim, whether the car is legal to be on the road in Spain is another matter as you full well know, don`t give the guy false information.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:42 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kenroyce
Check the small print on your UK insurance, you will probably find your Europe cover is only up to 3 months out of UK.
If you are here for more than 3 months you are required to to apply for a residencia certificate at the local national police station, use your rental address, you will also be issued with an NIE number at the same time, this will enable you to buy a car.
You don`t need a Spanish bank to buy a car, the dealers love cash.
Your UK licence is valid until expiry date, as long as you abide by the host countries health and eyesight regulations.
Brits you see driving UK registered cars, run a big risk of losing their cars as well as big fines if they have been is Spain too long as they are supposed to be exported from the UK and imported into Spain.
Do a search on here as there are over 200 threads on this subject.....
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
What you mean to say is you have been paid out on a claim, whether the car is legal to be on the road in Spain is another matter as you full well know, don`t give the guy false information.
Learn the law not guess it or assume everyones circumstances are the same as yours ,if your a spanish resident working for a UK company you can drive that company`s UK registerd vehicles in Spain ,also Liberty Seguros offer vailid insurance on UK vehicles which can be renewed year after year,this is not false info.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:45 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Rotor
Learn the law not guess it or assume everyones circumstances are the same as yours ,if your a spanish resident working for a UK company you can drive that company`s UK registerd vehicles in Spain ,also Liberty Seguros offer vailid insurance on UK vehicles which can be renewed year after year,this is not false info.
Apart from the fact I don`t think he is driving or working for a UK company here, he is on holiday so your suggestions are pointless.
I would say that is in the grey area, if a UK vehicle is in Spain for that long then it needs putting on Spanish plates regardless of ownership.
Read the DVLC site re exporting vehicles tempory or permanent.

Last edited by jdr; Nov 20th 2008 at 1:58 pm.