Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance write-off

Car Insurance write-off

Old Feb 4th 2020, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance write-off

My wife's car was destroyed in an accident (she was OK) and the insurance people rang today to say that it was a write-off and did she want to keep the car or did she want them to scrap it.

I seem to remember there was a discussion on this board about this. Either having it scrapped or not having it scrapped was the wrong decision but I can't find the thread. Can anyone help?

Spanish car bought from new in Spain, insured with Linea Directa. Guardia Civil report says it's the other driver's mistake.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance write-off

Originally Posted by Culebronchris
My wife's car was destroyed in an accident (she was OK) and the insurance people rang today to say that it was a write-off and did she want to keep the car or did she want them to scrap it.

I seem to remember there was a discussion on this board about this. Either having it scrapped or not having it scrapped was the wrong decision but I can't find the thread. Can anyone help?

Spanish car bought from new in Spain, insured with Linea Directa. Guardia Civil report says it's the other driver's mistake.
The only difference I can see is that the Insurance company is likely to offer a lower settlement if you keep the remains.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. It may well be that simple.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

When our Smart was written off a few years ago we had the option of keeping the wreck, apparently because we weren't at fault.

I sold the wreckage which help make up the difference between the book value that linea directa paid and the cost of like replacement.