Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance in Spain

Car Insurance in Spain

Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:41 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance in Spain

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It was in an article written by Brian Deller who as written the two 'Motoring in Spain' books, and who writes for several English Language newspapers on the coast.
So just another ill informed Brit journalist then!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:02 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Car Insurance in Spain

The need to re register is likely to disappear sometime in 2007, but no-one yet knows the date of implementation. If you are in a UK reg car, and the guardia stop you they will need to see your ferry ticket, listing the car, as proof that you haven't been here more than 6 months, they may also check to see if you are on the padron, if you are then the 6 months doesn't count as you are registered as living in Spain. If you don't have the requisite ferry ticket, then they are likely to impound the car and tell you to prove you haven't been here more than 6 months. No chance to go home and produce the ticket later, as with Spanish car paperwork you must always have it with you.
Mike, how does this new European law work for those of us who will move from another European country then? For example… we moved from The Netherlands to Galicia so had no proof of when the car and motorbike was imported (no ferry was needed!) This law, if implemented, will only be valid for those cars coming from Ireland and the U.K., or travelling to those countries. For the rest of us???????

As for the posting about exchanging the driving licences. When I moved from the U.K. to The Netherlands I had to surrender my documents. I got a Dutch licence with the U.K. classes, where different, added. When I moved to Spain (two and half years ago) all that was added by the traffico was my Spanish address and NIE. This does raise a question though. What happens when the licence is loss, stolen or the date of expiry runs up? How does one go about renewing it? I have to go back to the Dutch authorities maybe but the address is now wrong.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fred James
So how come the new Spanish licences do not have your address on them?
Whether or not the address is visible on the Spanish licence is irrelevant. The point is that it is the UK licence that has an incorrect address if you move to a new address in Spain.

Anyway, is the address not contained in the part of the licence that bears information not visible to the naked eye and it will certainly be held on DGT records.

Originally Posted by Fred James
So just another ill informed Brit journalist then!
Just one amongst many.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 6:39 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
What happens when the licence is loss, stolen or the date of expiry runs up? How does one go about renewing it? I have to go back to the Dutch authorities maybe but the address is now wrong.
The EU position on this is that it is the responsibility of the member state in which you now permanently reside - ie you get a replacement Spanish licence.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 11:43 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Mike, how does this new European law work for those of us who will move from another European country then? For example… we moved from The Netherlands to Galicia so had no proof of when the car and motorbike was imported (no ferry was needed!) This law, if implemented, will only be valid for those cars coming from Ireland and the U.K., or travelling to those countries. For the rest of us???????

As for the posting about exchanging the driving licences. When I moved from the U.K. to The Netherlands I had to surrender my documents. I got a Dutch licence with the U.K. classes, where different, added. When I moved to Spain (two and half years ago) all that was added by the traffico was my Spanish address and NIE. This does raise a question though. What happens when the licence is loss, stolen or the date of expiry runs up? How does one go about renewing it? I have to go back to the Dutch authorities maybe but the address is now wrong.
I ahve absolutely no idea of what the situation is from other countries, is yours a british registered car? If a british registered car, the if you are living in spain you will need to get it re registered, doesn't matter where it came from
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:01 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I ahve absolutely no idea of what the situation is from other countries, is yours a british registered car? If a british registered car, the if you are living in spain you will need to get it re registered, doesn't matter where it came from

Mike; like we said we imported a car and a bike. My questions was to illustrate that the new European law you was talking about will not work for all of Europe except for those living on an island where you need to use a ferry. This proposal, if true, is unworkable if you think about it.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Mike; like we said we imported a car and a bike. My questions was to illustrate that the new European law you was talking about will not work for all of Europe except for those living on an island where you need to use a ferry. This proposal, if true, is unworkable if you think about it.
A ferry ticket is just an example of showing when the car came in to Spain, if you get pulled, they can impound the car till the paperwork is sorted and it is up to you to prove to mr Guardia when it arrived in Spain, and hopefully it is not over 6 months, regardless of where the car came from.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gerard Kelleher
Can anyone please give me the number or e-mail address of any good car insurance brokers or companies? I am 33 and getting mad quotes for a Seat Ibiza - surely at my age and 65% no claims I should not be getting quotes of EUR1300 (from Linea Directa). Is this normal, any help would be appricated.
i´m with genasis through "the insurance centre" and pay 640€ tpft with glass...

but then it is a group 5 car and i´m only 24