Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car insurance for right hand drive

Car insurance for right hand drive

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:55 am
Just Joined

jowalker is a jewel in the roughjowalker is a jewel in the roughjowalker is a jewel in the roughjowalker is a jewel in the roughjowalker is a jewel in the rough
Default Car insurance for right hand drive

We're thinking of driving our car over when we move to Spain later in the year as I'm terrible with a left hand drive. My inability to find 3rd gear with my right hand is really rather special!

Just wondered if it makes any difference to car insurance having a right hand drive car in Spain?

Many thanks for your replies as always!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:28 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance for right hand drive

Originally Posted by jowalker
We're thinking of driving our car over when we move to Spain later in the year as I'm terrible with a left hand drive. My inability to find 3rd gear with my right hand is really rather special!

Just wondered if it makes any difference to car insurance having a right hand drive car in Spain?

You should use search really ... theres a few threads on the subject. I think the bottom line is that you will have to spend €600 - 900 on re matriculating it anyway when you get here, so you have to have a very good reason for bringing a RHD car. I have both and I dont have too much of a problem with the RHD, but there are reasoned arguements as to why you shouldnt have one here, if not for safety alone (overtaking).
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

We plan to bring our RHD Merc ML270 over with us in a couple of months time. I've had a couple of insurance quotes and for us in our early 50s, both 5 years plus no claims the quotes were slightly over 600 euros.

So there may be a disadvantage or two with RHD at car park ticket machines and toll booths.

But I reckon RHD will be more convenient when two cars are trying to squeeze past each other on the campo tracks. Open the door and there's the edge rather than having to guess exactly how close the wheels are to going over.

I have driven LHD here in the UK and didn't find it too much of an issue overtaking just had to adopt a different technique.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Get a auto
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

cavecritter has a spectacular aura aboutcavecritter has a spectacular aura aboutcavecritter has a spectacular aura about

I bought a spanish plated RHD 4X4 last year and the insurance isnt really any higher than if it was LHD. I dont have a problem driving a RHD in Spain and will only overtake if its safe and when you consider the risks some people take overtaking driving a LHD,(ive been overtaken on a blind bend) I dont think its any less safe.