Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance and Other Hidden Costs of Living in Spain

Car Insurance and Other Hidden Costs of Living in Spain

Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:09 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Default Car Insurance and Other Hidden Costs of Living in Spain

Recently, I heard of a local burglary and car theft. In both cases neither the Car Insurers (Fully Comp) or House Insurers have paid up (usual small print). Of course the owners are livid, paying for something that is next to useless - and now thay have to buy another car !!! (I can't remember the Insurers name - so don't ask me).
CHECK YOUR POLICY NOW (yes it's in Spanish probably) !!

I have heard of so much 'petty' crime here but rarely hear of anyone being caught or prosecuted.

I too recently had my car broken into - side window smashed, nothing taken but the car door damaged. I had the window glass replaced under the insurance the same day... just very inconvenient and time wasting (took all day to sort) but getting the door fixed is turning into an expensive exercise. I need more time off work to denounce the crime at a police station - an interpreter to help with the forms and three quotes from garages. Of course it's not worth my loss of time and the insurance excess will mean I am out of pocket anyway.

Of course our Brit mentality assumes some things are universal, like your car is stolen so insurers will replace (or offer money).

The point being that as ex-pats unfamiliar with the Spanish system / Language there are many COSTLY MISTAKES to be made (cars, property, taxes, medical, builders, red-tape) - Because, even the most diligent of us, can't be aware of ALL THE RULES and SYSTEMS here, so we have these hidden costs that keep creeping into our lives here. Some are very unfair and annoying and damned expensive.

Of course we ASSUME too much based on our trusting nature! Which in reality makes us vulnerable to being ripped-off !

ASSUME = Make an ASS out of U & ME !
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:58 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Car Insurance and Other Hidden Costs of Living in Spain

Of course our Brit mentality assumes some things are universal, like your car is stolen so insurers will replace (or offer money).
Err no. I'm British and I don't assume that insurance necessarily pays for theft. If you have "third-party" only, it's not the same as "third-party, fire and theft" and certainly not as good as fully comp.

I don't trust insurance schemes in other areas either (and I'm still talking UK here). You can take out insurance against unemployment, but there are so many get outs (eg you change your job, or you've not been 3 years in your current role etc.) that the chances of actually claiming are slim. The worst one is that extra insurance that the likes of Dixons, PC world etc try to sell you (=extended warranty). You'd be better putting the same money aside, and if your machine does break down in the first 2 years, you'd have enough to buy a new model outright (with cash to spare).

I don't doubt that insurance companies are just as devious in Spain. But please stop trying to make out their British counterparts as being angels - they aren't.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:32 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Default Re: Car Insurance and Other Hidden Costs of Living in Spain

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe

I don't doubt that insurance companies are just as devious in Spain. But please stop trying to make out their British counterparts as being angels - they aren't.
I didn't actually !!! ( And I know they're not actually ). Just about every one I know has a 'bloody insurance companies' story to tell.... 'rip-off Britain' comes to mind.

The point of the thread is 'hidden costs' in Spain. If we could discuss that please.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:53 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if you think I've misunderstood (or diverted the thread). It's just when you said "Of course our Brit mentality assumes some things are universal", well, I'm one of those Brits who trusts less and less as he gets older. I don't assume things work well or as they should at home, never mind Spain or other countries. Put it down to disillusioned experience. And you're 100% right - we should keep our senses alert whenever we sign up to something

Just because we're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get us!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:59 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by GrapeEater

The point of the thread is 'hidden costs' in Spain. If we could discuss that please.
I fear though some people will defend there choice of country, especially those who believed they were escaping ripe off Britain for a better lifestyle.

Spain though is well down in the list of the least corrupt countries in the EU and the world.

Expats though rarely view public or commercial business as being corrupt in Spain.

Obviously not everybody will experience problems, but in general if an expat walks into an office, can`t speak much of the lingo and waffles through, chances are they`ll be in trouble.

Spaniards are ripped off constantly, most accept that and prepare for battle before handing over cash.

If Watchdog & Roguetrader where to film in Spain, it`ll be on everyday for hours.

That`ll just cover Telefonica.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Then I need to post a Mayday now!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:15 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
...well, I'm one of those Brits who trusts less and less as he gets older...

Me Too !!
I guess that's maturity / experience - and what's that? ... A. Making past mistakes and learning from them !!
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

pmayhew is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm planning to drive to Tenerife (via Ferries to Bilbao and from Cadiz to Santa Cruz) to stay for about a year in rented accomodation. But I have checked with my UK insurance company Swiftcover and they told me that as I was not on a holiday trip then I would not be covered when I left the UK.

I have since spoken to an insurance brokers who cannot help me to get insurance for the trip (Ferry and drive through Spain etc.)

A friend just phoned up his insurer and said "I'm driving to Tenerife" and just extended his European cover. But reading the small print he may not actually have been insured at all.
When he did try to get Spanish insurance he had difficulty as it was a Right Hand Drive!

Has anyone else had this problem, or got suggestions?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I have that problem in reverse - i.e. L/H drive in England European spec for a limited period before Spain.

I hope I have solved it, but basically by being economical with the truth.

There is a company called Adrian Flux who seem more imaginative than most - you could try them. Or High Performance were also helpful. The mainstream providers did not seem to have any interest in anything that did not fit precisely in their boxes
Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pmayhew
I'm planning to drive to Tenerife (via Ferries to Bilbao and from Cadiz to Santa Cruz) to stay for about a year in rented accomodation. But I have checked with my UK insurance company Swiftcover and they told me that as I was not on a holiday trip then I would not be covered when I left the UK.

I have since spoken to an insurance brokers who cannot help me to get insurance for the trip (Ferry and drive through Spain etc.)

A friend just phoned up his insurer and said "I'm driving to Tenerife" and just extended his European cover. But reading the small print he may not actually have been insured at all.
When he did try to get Spanish insurance he had difficulty as it was a Right Hand Drive!

Has anyone else had this problem, or got suggestions?
For UK insurance you have to be a UK resident on holiday and you would only be covered third party for a short time.
As you are going to be in Spain for that amount of time and be a Spanish resident then you will need to change your car reg to Spanish, Spanish ITV and Spanish insurance.
Sell the car and get the plane. ;-))

Search "UK car in Spain" you will find about 300 old threads on it.