Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance for a 19 yr old

Car Insurance for a 19 yr old

Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Dave and Trish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance for a 19 yr old

We are moving to Spain with our Son (22 yrs old) and his girlfriend (19yrs old) we're struggling to get insurance for them on an english plated car that we want to take over with us. Has anyone got any idea how we can get insurance for them as weve been told by insurance companies you need to be 27yrs or older. Many Thanks
Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance for a 19 yr old

Originally Posted by Dave and Trish
We are moving to Spain with our Son (22 yrs old) and his girlfriend (19yrs old) we're struggling to get insurance for them on an english plated car that we want to take over with us. Has anyone got any idea how we can get insurance for them as weve been told by insurance companies you need to be 27yrs or older. Many Thanks
I've read that getting a UK RHD vehicle insured is more difficult in Spain anyway, so I guess getting an "inexperienced" driver on cover may be a problem.

How important is it for you to take this car? Have you considered buying a LHD car which will be easier to drive and easier to insure. Also re registering the car to Spanish plates can cost a bit. I've researched this a fair bit because I'm taking a "classic" car when I go and its been said to me that taking a UK car if you really don't need to can be more trouble than its worth.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The car is insured over here not the driver, but they dont like drivers under 30.
When my son in law and my daughter were under 30 they stuck another 250€ on the excess when they were driving.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Dave and Trish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
The car is insured over here not the driver, but they dont like drivers under 30.
When my son in law and my daughter were under 30 they stuck another 250€ on the excess when they were driving.
Thanks for the replys folks - we don't mind paying a little extra to enable them to drive in Spain, can you let me know which insurance company you used ?

Dave
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replys folks - we don't mind paying a little extra to enable them to drive in Spain, can you let me know which insurance company you used ?

Dave
It was done through a local agent, but the actual ins co is Ibex Iberian, I would think any broker near where you are going to live ( Spain is a big place) would arrange it for you. Insurance also covers breakdown as it is illegal to tow a car here, unless you are a registered grua.