Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Hire without credit card at Faro Airport

Car Hire without credit card at Faro Airport

Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Mick and Jill will become famous soon enoughMick and Jill will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Car Hire without credit card at Faro Airport

Hi all. Coming out in a few weeks and need to hire a car this time. Searched all the threads but still no answer to the question. Please don't mention Economy Car Hire as i have been down that road, and although i can book it online with a debit card, they are insisting on a credit card to swipe at the airport. Anyone out there with definate experience of this problem? Thanks in anticipation of a result.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Hire without credit card at Faro Airport

Originally Posted by Mick and Jill
Hi all. Coming out in a few weeks and need to hire a car this time. Searched all the threads but still no answer to the question. Please don't mention Economy Car Hire as i have been down that road, and although i can book it online with a debit card, they are insisting on a credit card to swipe at the airport. Anyone out there with definate experience of this problem? Thanks in anticipation of a result.
I have overcome this with them PAYG Mastercards, I bought one especially for Car Hire so they cant bill me for any damage, They think you have a endless limit but you dont, ha ah ah

also everytime I hire a car I stop the debit card aswell so they cant take any money from that after the initial booking.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

never been able to hire a car without a credit card - even after having a blazing row with the receptionist -can book and pay with a debit card but for the holding deposit they want a credit card, cash/debit just wont do !!!! seems silly but been told its because they can "hold" a credit card payment but debit card transactions are taken straightaway
Old Apr 6th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain
never been able to hire a car without a credit card - even after having a blazing row with the receptionist -can book and pay with a debit card but for the holding deposit they want a credit card, cash/debit just wont do !!!! seems silly but been told its because they can "hold" a credit card payment but debit card transactions are taken straightaway
I think if you stay away from the big companies with a online presence you can easily hire a car with a licence passport and cash, that does not help the OP in her current situation but if she is to make a regular trip then it would be adviseable to find a small independant company
Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:24 pm
lim
Banned

lim is an unknown quantity at this point

Its impossible to hire a car without a Credit Card, it may be worth trying with a Pay as you go card, but i suspect even they may soon be stopped.

You may want to wait until you arrive and search for a small company, but you may end up in an uninsured death trap.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lim
Its impossible to hire a car without a Credit Card, it may be worth trying with a Pay as you go card, but i suspect even they may soon be stopped.

You may want to wait until you arrive and search for a small company, but you may end up in an uninsured death trap.
It is in no way impossible, I hired a car a few weeks agon for 3 days in Quesada from a company called Aero Cars, I give them my PP and DL and paid the cash, that was it

Pay as you go cards wont be stopped becuase they are endorsed from mastercard, People can tell who the card is issued from the first 4 numbers.
that is all, If they stop that, there will be another way round it
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:06 pm
lim
Banned

lim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I give them my PP and DL and paid the cash, that was it
What is PP and DL ?

I don`t know who Aero cars are but all International Hire companies through there underwriters have to pass on there financial liability to the hirer.

If you haven`t paid the correct Insurance at the time of hire, it could prove costly should anything happen.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lim
What is PP and DL ?

I don`t know who Aero cars are but all International Hire companies through there underwriters have to pass on there financial liability to the hirer.

If you haven`t paid the correct Insurance at the time of hire, it could prove costly should anything happen.
Passport and Driving Licence, I said stay away from the big names, you wont have a problem then, Not all independants run round in 10 year old corsa's
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:37 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Faro?

What, Portugal Faro?
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lim
What is PP and DL ?

When we hired a car from Europcar to travel from the UK to Malaga area and friends to drive it back for us they took payment on a Halifax debit card and have done the two times previous. This is from Doncaster airport. though plenty of small companies in many areas take cash deposits etc and that is fact no matter what people will tell you.

John
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Faro?

What, Portugal Faro?
Know what your going to say ask in the Portugal section but Faro is not far of the Spanish border and many peoples chosen route into Spain, Or have i missed a wity reply here

John
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john1979
When we hired a car from Europcar to travel from the UK to Malaga area and friends to drive it back for us they took payment on a Halifax debit card and have done the two times previous. This is from Doncaster airport. though plenty of small companies in many areas take cash deposits etc and that is fact no matter what people will tell you.

John
This is definately true in the UK - although I know it's not as easily done in Europe with some of the bigger companies.

There is NO technical reason why they can't. They either take (1) full deposit equal to the CDW excess or (2) you agree to pay the excess waiver charge. No big problem, many place just choose not to be that flexible.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Mick and Jill will become famous soon enoughMick and Jill will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Car Hire without credit card at Faro Airport

Hi all ( again ) Responding to my own thread here, but thanks to everyone who replied. I have had to conceed, for my own sanity, by applying for a credit card from my local bank. Should be with me in 5 to 10 days. I will in future just use it for car hire in Spain, so i am now at peace with the world once more. Thanks again.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Titterton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mick-Jill,we allways use Zitauto from Faro airport.We e-mail them few weeks before we go out to CE requesting which group car we require,they e-mail us back usually within 24 hrs with a quote that includes entry into Spain ,inclusive of CDW extra driver etc.Their e-mail adress is;www.zitautorentacar.co.uk
We pay cash only and are met by rep at car rental desk opposite cafe in airport-no credit card required.

Last edited by Titterton; Apr 9th 2008 at 7:03 pm. Reason: forgot to mention no credit card required