Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

CAR HIRE AT FARO

CAR HIRE AT FARO

Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:34 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute
Default CAR HIRE AT FARO

Hiya, we have used a few car hire companies and more recently for several times MasterKings @ Faro who have been fine...this is just some info. They used to not charge for crossing the border into Spain but it will now be €25 and does include breakdown cover in both countries. You have 2 free drivers and it is €10 for any additional drivers. They agree the Toll fees will start in April and they say you can pay by cash, Euro A/c credit cards or pre-payment. We would pay cash but I am surprised a debit card cannot be used.
They also say that the CCard impression they take at the airport would be used if any toll fines were imposed. Armed with this I will get quote for car hire from the others at Faro - Zitauto and Travel Rent have also been OK in the past.

Mel
Old Mar 11th 2011, 7:56 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAR HIRE AT FARO

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN
Hiya, we have used a few car hire companies and more recently for several times MasterKings @ Faro who have been fine...this is just some info. They used to not charge for crossing the border into Spain but it will now be €25 and does include breakdown cover in both countries. You have 2 free drivers and it is €10 for any additional drivers. They agree the Toll fees will start in April and they say you can pay by cash, Euro A/c credit cards or pre-payment. We would pay cash but I am surprised a debit card cannot be used.
They also say that the CCard impression they take at the airport would be used if any toll fines were imposed. Armed with this I will get quote for car hire from the others at Faro - Zitauto and Travel Rent have also been OK in the past.

Mel
Hi Mel we use http://www.economycarhire.com/ we used to use http://www.economycarrentals.com/ but noticed that they too had started charging extra for Spain. However I always check both just in case. Both offer a discount via a 'club' that gives points so it may be possible for a good deal. I will have 10% with the first one after my next rental.

Both offer a multiple booking engine (thats not the one in the car ) and extras included (insurance, CDW etc). So for example our next booking is with travelrent as the end-supplier. Travelrent also give any drivers so no hassles with multiple driving licences/charges.

Good luck

Jon
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, we have used a few car hire companies and more recently for several times MasterKings @ Faro who have been fine...this is just some info. They used to not charge for crossing the border into Spain but it will now be €25 and does include breakdown cover in both countries. You have 2 free drivers and it is €10 for any additional drivers. They agree the Toll fees will start in April and they say you can pay by cash, Euro A/c credit cards or pre-payment. We would pay cash but I am surprised a debit card cannot be used.They also say that the CCard impression they take at the airport would be used if any toll fines were imposed. Armed with this I will get quote for car hire from the others at Faro - Zitauto and Travel Rent have also been OK in the past.

Mel
Is thia for real or just the usual April story?
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: CAR HIRE AT FARO

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Is thia for real or just the usual April story?
Its real enough but facts are hard to come by just how tourists and Spanish residents pay in an economical fashion is still a mystry. It seems that if you have Portuguese bank account or Portuguese D/C cards you are OK but other methods seem a bit of a stretch.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi Mel we use http://www.economycarhire.com/ we used to use http://www.economycarrentals.com/ but noticed that they too had started charging extra for Spain. However I always check both just in case. Both offer a discount via a 'club' that gives points so it may be possible for a good deal. I will have 10% with the first one after my next rental.

Jon
We usually use economycarhire as well; although it has always had the option to chose the end supplier this has been made much easier recently. We presently have bookings using Drive4Fun and Auriga Crown, and have also used AutoVirgem and another whose name escapes me this time in the morning. Each has different advantages but as yet none have imposed a charge for going into Spain.

But can somebody confirm what 'Tolls' are being referred to? Are these charges for crossing into Spain, or tolls for using the motorway? I'm not clear.

Thanks

Steve
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve and Pat
We usually use economycarhire as well; although it has always had the option to chose the end supplier this has been made much easier recently. We presently have bookings using Drive4Fun and Auriga Crown, and have also used AutoVirgem and another whose name escapes me this time in the morning. Each has different advantages but as yet none have imposed a charge for going into Spain.

But can somebody confirm what 'Tolls' are being referred to? Are these charges for crossing into Spain, or tolls for using the motorway? I'm not clear.

Thanks

Steve
The A22 from the Spanish border to the western end is to be tolled from mid April it will cost about €28 to travel from end to end. The border bridge will not be tolled at this time. It is to be totally automatic with overhead cameras reading No plates and a transponder device which you buy at a Post Office for about €30 and then load with toll fees depending on what you use. This is not quite the same system as the via verde system used on the Faro/Lisbon motorway but they are interchangeable. Unlike via verde there are no (NO) manned toll booths so short term visitors are going to have difficulty.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Mar 11th 2011 at 9:28 am.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

Originally Posted by John & Kath
The A22 from the Spanish border to the western end is to be tolled from mid April it will cost about €28 to travel from end to end. The border bridge will not be tolled at this time. It is to be totally automatic with overhead cameras reading No plates and a transponder device which you buy at a Post Office for about €30 and then load with toll fees depending on what you use. This is not quite the same system as the via verde system used on the Faro/Lisbon motorway but they are interchangeable. Unlike via verde there are no (NO) manned toll booths so short term visitors are going to have difficulty.
Thanks John

Presumably, the charge will be less for shorter distances? As you say, it will be difficult for short term visitors to comply. I suppose it is likely that Car Hire firms will install transponders in their cars as a matter of course.

We will have to read up the arrangements when next we come out.

Ta muchly.

Steve
Old Mar 11th 2011, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks John

Presumably, the charge will be less for shorter distances? As you say, it will be difficult for short term visitors to comply. I suppose it is likely that Car Hire firms will install transponders in their cars as a matter of course.

We will have to read up the arrangements when next we come out.

Ta muchly.

Steve
Yes it is a per kilometer charge so I reckon Faro airport from the Bridge is about €10 so 20 for a return trip to pick up rellies.

Have a look at this :-

http://www.algarveresident.com/story.asp?XID=40649
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:47 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Jon & Steve, thank you for the hire car info and John for the toll info. From what you say John and reading the link to the Algarve Resident we cannot pay cash. It just seemd as if it will be very awkward, easier in USA where you can just throw the coins into the hopper. I can see that come the first busy break ie Easter it will be so confusing. Where will the Toll be actually positioned between Spain/Portugal border and Faro - and body know? Presumably we can go over the bridge and take the first exit for VRSA and then use the old road and avoid a toll or will it be on the located between VRSA junction and the border/bridge.
More qustions than answers - sorry !
Mel
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Jon & Steve, thank you for the hire car info and John for the toll info. From what you say John and reading the link to the Algarve Resident we cannot pay cash. It just seemd as if it will be very awkward, easier in USA where you can just throw the coins into the hopper. I can see that come the first busy break ie Easter it will be so confusing. Where will the Toll be actually positioned between Spain/Portugal border and Faro - and body know? Presumably we can go over the bridge and take the first exit for VRSA and then use the old road and avoid a toll or will it be on the located between VRSA junction and the border/bridge.
Mel
I've noticed in the past that the bit of road between the VRSA turn-off and the bridge is not actually motorway - I assumed that this was to allow local crossing for non-motorway traffic from Portugal to Spain and vice-versa. It is probably also required to be free by the EU inter-community transport regulations since the bridge was built largely with EU funds and, until the bridge at Pomadoro was opened, there was no viable alternative.
The motorway actually starts at the VRSA junction so presumably the first (and last) toll gantry will be over the entry to and exit from the West.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I've noticed in the past that the bit of road between the VRSA turn-off and the bridge is not actually motorway - I assumed that this was to allow local crossing for non-motorway traffic from Portugal to Spain and vice-versa. It is probably also required to be free by the EU inter-community transport regulations since the bridge was built largely with EU funds and, until the bridge at Pomadoro was opened, there was no viable alternative.
The motorway actually starts at the VRSA junction so presumably the first (and last) toll gantry will be over the entry to and exit from the West.
Spot on Mike I have actually seen pedal cyclists on the bridge not for me though.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mel
No, no cash booth or bucket is available it is all done by cameras on gantries high above the motorway. Bit like the variable speed signs on the M25/M6 with cameras on the back.

So far I have seen works taking place at the Olhau jct where large holes had been dug for foundations for the gantry each side of the motorway. Also the concrete central barrier has been chopped into near Almancil for more gantries.

I think the first one we will meet will be just after the on slip from Castro Marim.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, no cash booth or bucket is available it is all done by cameras on gantries high above the motorway. Bit like the variable speed signs on the M25/M6 with cameras on the back.

So far I have seen works taking place at the Olhau jct where large holes had been dug for foundations for the gantry each side of the motorway. Also the concrete central barrier has been chopped into near Almancil for more gantries.

I think the first one we will meet will be just after the on slip from Castro Marim.
Phew that's a relief! We'll still be able to pop over to Luis's regularly for the menu del dia without incurring charges!
Old Mar 11th 2011, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Phew that's a relief! We'll still be able to pop over to Luis's regularly for the menu del dia without incurring charges!
We will cofirm first Tuesday after the start!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:19 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

I still cant figure out how we will pay the tolls - if we rent a car. Surely they will have the transponders fitted, because most people renting at the airport would use the m-way, even if they are not going to Spain.

Will they give you a reading when you take the car and then one at the end? That would add a lot of time to the checkin/check out process... (and they would need a 'transponder reader' as well! If that exists) and they will probably want to increase the deposit on the credit card when you book.

Ideally the transponder itself will have a readout saving a lot of hassle. But I wonder if that is the case. Its not so in France, (I think) for their transponder system - and Portugal will probably use a trusted system.

Also if people fly into Seville - they will have problems too. I wonder if the Spanish would have to pay as the x-border payment of tolls/fines may never happen. Its very complicated and needs a good admin system. Thats why so far people with non-UK numberplates are getting away with eg Congestion charges and parking tickets... (still) - several million a year it all costs the UK

Finally there are problems in the x-over period, I'm sure that some people will come before the tolls and leave after... The car companies need to put the transponders in now.

IF we buy our own transponder we would need a Portugese bank account as well I suppose.

Looks complicated. Would be interested to know what the car companies will do about all this as for sure they wont be paying others tolls. And some people may get a shock later when they get a bill with the usual extra admin charges added.

I hope they have thought it all through! Im sure through this forum we will find out however

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.