Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

car hire Alicante airport

car hire Alicante airport

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 7:23 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: car hire Alicante airport

Originally Posted by lic
Chris,
Did you return the car with a full tank, i.e. was the deal full/full or full/empty?

Hi Lic,
Picked up full, returned empty. Suited us as we did a lot of driving while we where out there (about 1700 kms). I know they make on the fuel top up but they were by far the cheapest so still worked out a lot cheaper anyway.
Had a bad experience with a VERY large international hire company one year. Hired a 5 door hatchback auto about 20 years ago and were quoted £70 for the week as per their leaflet at the airport at Palma. Bob took car back a week later ( we only hired it for 1 week as wanted to rest the 2nd week). When Bob got back to the villa, he was as white as a ghost! Asked him what was wrong and he said they had charged us £527! :curse:
He couldn't refuse payment because his cousin who who travelled with us, used his discount card to book deposit and they had already taken the balance off of that card.
We complained to tour operator and hire company in writing before leaving and followed up with letters when we got home. It took months to get our money back and that was only because their accounts depatment made a mistake and send 3 cheques out. Needless to say, we expressed the cheques through our bank. They only had the cheek to send us vouchers off (to the value of US dollars) and hoped we would use them again!
Since then, we use the cheapest possible and have never had a problem with any other company.
Chris XXX

Last edited by chrisw; Aug 2nd 2008 at 7:28 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

paul50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: car hire Alicante airport

Originally Posted by chrisw
Hi Lic,
Picked up full, returned empty. Suited us as we did a lot of driving while we where out there (about 1700 kms). I know they make on the fuel top up but they were by far the cheapest so still worked out a lot cheaper anyway.
Had a bad experience with a VERY large international hire company one year. Hired a 5 door hatchback auto about 20 years ago and were quoted £70 for the week as per their leaflet at the airport at Palma. Bob took car back a week later ( we only hired it for 1 week as wanted to rest the 2nd week). When Bob got back to the villa, he was as white as a ghost! Asked him what was wrong and he said they had charged us £527! :curse:
He couldn't refuse payment because his cousin who who travelled with us, used his discount card to book deposit and they had already taken the balance off of that card.
We complained to tour operator and hire company in writing before leaving and followed up with letters when we got home. It took months to get our money back and that was only because their accounts depatment made a mistake and send 3 cheques out. Needless to say, we expressed the cheques through our bank. They only had the cheek to send us vouchers off (to the value of US dollars) and hoped we would use them again!
Since then, we use the cheapest possible and have never had a problem with any other company.
Chris XXX
I have used centauro at both alicante and valencia and always returned it full and always have been refunded so not a problem with them. I have used them about 20 times now, so make your own mind up.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paul50
I have used centauro at both alicante and valencia and always returned it full and always have been refunded so not a problem with them. I have used them about 20 times now, so make your own mind up.
Thanks Paul, was it a prior arrangement to return full or did you just fill it? I think I saw they allow to return full if only 3 day hire, I will have a car for a week but not doing a lot of miles
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

paul50 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just ask at the desk if i can return it full and its always no problem, maybe because I use them a lot, they dont want to lose regular customers
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Hi
We have uses Record for 3 years. Take a full tank and return it full. They have changed their terms now with a number of options,depending on the length of time you want the car for, but they have always allowed us to bring back full.
Also have always had a free upgrade, so when comparing prices, they have been very competitive.
LMJ
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Jeanie27 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is resurrecting an old mail but I wanted to tell of my recent experience in case it helps others.

I have just come back rom Spain. I booked through Carjet on a pick up full return empty basis. When I got back to Granada airport I had a half a tank left. The agent suggested that as I had plenty of time for my flight and the garage was only about 300 mtrs away I should go back and fill it up and they would refund me my initial payment. It cost me 25 euros and Carjet refunded me 40.

Carjet could have made a lot of money out of me but they chose not to. I was really impressed with this. It's what keeps you coming back.

A little bit of honesty goes a long way. A big recommendation for Carjet.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Richierich1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiring a car with a full tank of fuel is the fairest way. By returning it full, you only pay for the fuel you have used. Many rental companies hire vehicles with empty tanks to avoid the initial costs involved in filling the tanks of their new vehicles. If they have ten new rental vehicles, that's a lot of money to spend on fuel - money which they'll never recover.

You'll find that most of the larger companies Hertz, Avis operate full to full as they can afford the initial costs in filling the tanks of their rental vehicles.

It's definitely not a scam - just the fairest way to do things.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richierich1000
Hiring a car with a full tank of fuel is the fairest way. By returning it full, you only pay for the fuel you have used. Many rental companies hire vehicles with empty tanks to avoid the initial costs involved in filling the tanks of their new vehicles. If they have ten new rental vehicles, that's a lot of money to spend on fuel - money which they'll never recover.

You'll find that most of the larger companies Hertz, Avis operate full to full as they can afford the initial costs in filling the tanks of their rental vehicles.

It's definitely not a scam - just the fairest way to do things.
The point of most of these threads is that the hire companies are operating a full to empty policy, not full to full which would, as you say be much fairer.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

I have now used Econorent twice at Alicante airport ( being an ex Carjet customer ) They have a full/full policy regardless of length of stay. In august I had a Seat Ibiza and it cost me 50 euro to fill it up, had it 3 weeks so was very empty, talking to a chap at the pool who had the same car with goldcar via carjet, he had paid 75 euro for the tank of petrol from them!!!!! A quick profit of 25 euro

Also, you only pay the price quoted, all inclusive & 2 drivers.., They DO NOT con you into taking extra wheel ins for an extra 20 euro!!!

Last edited by jeanc; Nov 23rd 2008 at 8:31 pm. Reason: added a bit more
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeanc
I have now used Econorent twice at Alicante airport ( being an ex Carjet customer ) They have a full/full policy regardless of length of stay. In august I had a Seat Ibiza and it cost me 50 euro to fill it up, had it 3 weeks so was very empty, talking to a chap at the pool who had the same car with goldcar via carjet, he had paid 75 euro for the tank of petrol from them!!!!! A quick profit of 25 euro

Also, you only pay the price quoted, all inclusive & 2 drivers.., They DO NOT con you into taking extra wheel ins for an extra 20 euro!!!
I have just checked out Econorent as I need a 3 day rental from Alicante. Their price is 17 euros dearer than Carjet for a group A vehicle. As Carjet honour the full/full policy over 3 days, then this makes Econorent far less competitive.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

Originally Posted by montgomail
I have just checked out Econorent as I need a 3 day rental from Alicante. Their price is 17 euros dearer than Carjet for a group A vehicle. As Carjet honour the full/full policy over 3 days, then this makes Econorent far less competitive.

maybe so on this instance, but over longer periods it comes into it's own. don't forget the extra 20 euro wheel ins they will try to sell you, if you take it ( which a lot of people do ) Econorent are actually cheaper

Also never said they were cheaper, I have paid alittle more than with carjet the other week, for a 5 day hire but they would not budge with the petrol so Econorent got my business again

Last edited by jeanc; Nov 23rd 2008 at 10:08 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeanc
maybe so on this instance, but over longer periods it comes into it's own. don't forget the extra 20 euro wheel ins they will try to sell you, if you take it ( which a lot of people do ) Econorent are actually cheaper

Also never said they were cheaper, I have paid alittle more than with carjet the other week, for a 5 day hire but they would not budge with the petrol so Econorent got my business again
Yes I agree, the fuel cost has to be factored into the equation so I shall check out Econorent for longer stays. I just want the cheapest deal. As for the wheel insurance, I just say no - it's not a problem.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:18 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chrisw
Had a bad experience with a VERY large international hire company one year. Hired a 5 door hatchback auto about 20 years ago
Well it was 20 years ago - but I bet it still hurtz !!!!

I think the full/empty policy stinks. Not least just because it encourages people to use fuel for the sake of it - wasting money, wasting fuel and adds to the carbon footprint.

Rip Off !!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
Well it was 20 years ago - but I bet it still hurtz !!!!

I think the full/empty policy stinks. Not least just because it encourages people to use fuel for the sake of it - wasting money, wasting fuel and adds to the carbon footprint.
Rip Off !!
Agree totally.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by montgomail
Yes I agree, the fuel cost has to be factored into the equation so I shall check out Econorent for longer stays. I just want the cheapest deal. As for the wheel insurance, I just say no - it's not a problem.
Bit concerned about this though

http://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-6085.aspx

I have to confess to using Doyouspain. They are simply middlemen but they do seem to be able to get some good deals. They are currently quoting £35 for a week from 11th January for a Clio 3 door. Even taking into account the full/empty policy of most of the firms they deal with I think it would be difficult to beat that price

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.