Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

car Hire from 8th June

car Hire from 8th June

Old Jun 8th 2015, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car Hire from 8th June

I've never had a UK licence with a counterpart.

I've also hired cars around the world without problem.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked for my next booking and no requirement with Firefly for mainland Spain.https://global.fireflycarrental.com/...r_support.html

I suspect other renters will be the same but worth checking your renter just in case.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Typical.

DVLA website crashes on first day after car hire rule change | Daily Mail Online
Old Jun 8th 2015, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I had major problems hiring in the Autumn in the UK with a Spanish licence. First time in eleven years.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir View Post
I had major problems hiring in the Autumn in the UK with a Spanish licence. First time in eleven years.

What happened... with which rental companies?
I've never had problems with Europcar or Hertz when presenting a Spanish Licence in the UK.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Mustard I did tell the story in an earlier thread but basically always hired from Hertz never had a problem. Last time my licence was refused as no address on it. Asked for a utility bill which of course I didn't have. Told only way I could have the car was my going in to my bank account online in the office for the guy and his mate to check my details. He actually looked at my account, sort code, account no. and balance. Loyal customer for 11 years, three to four times a year. When I complained it as shrugged off. Never asked for my passport either.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 7:01 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir View Post
Mustard I did tell the story in an earlier thread but basically always hired from Hertz never had a problem. Last time my licence was refused as no address on it. Asked for a utility bill which of course I didn't have. Told only way I could have the car was my going in to my bank account online in the office for the guy and his mate to check my details. He actually looked at my account, sort code, account no. and balance. Loyal customer for 11 years, three to four times a year. When I complained it as shrugged off. Never asked for my passport either.
Here we go again. governments implementing new 'wonderful' ideas, involving IT systems, and it all failing.

We discussed it on another thread... And many said it was nothing. Well I actually hope so, but what are rental co's supposed to do when NEW rules come out. The fact that its all worked fine for years (I've had no problems for decades, worldwide ) is no guarantee that it will work in the future.

Sure enough, we see a problem already.

I saw the bloke explaining it on bbc - he didn't understand the reality, especially concerning international rentals. The 72 hour validity, website, NI no, etc. Even the interviewers had difficulty with the right questions.

I couldn't access the DVLA site before it crashed... As an expat abroad. Although UK licenses are valid in the EU... if you are an expat, it may be worth changing to a local EU licence.

Jon
Old Jul 11th 2015, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luz liver View Post
Saw this on BBC website:

Motorists going abroad after 8 June are being warned they will need to take a special code with them if they want to hire a car.
From that date the paper counterpart of UK driving licences - which records endorsements and fines - is being computerised.
Anyone wanting to hire a car abroad will officially need a code to show convictions for offences like speeding.
To obtain it, motorists will have to log on to the DVLA website beforehand.
But the code is only valid for 72 hours, so anyone wanting to hire a car more than three days into their trip will need to generate a new code while they are abroad.
For those who do not have internet access, a phone number will also be made available.
The RAC said many drivers were unaware of the changes.
"Our research shows that with just over a month to go before the paper counterpart to the photo-card licence disappears, 55% of drivers are not aware of the planned change," said RAC spokesman Simon Williams.
'Belt and braces'
The DVLA recommends destroying paper counterparts after 8 June.
However the AA is advising people to hang on to the document, in case some hire companies are unaware of the new arrangements.
"Not all car rental companies, or indeed traffic police abroad, will be aware of the changes, so a 'belt and braces' approach of also taking the counterpart might help," said AA president Edmund King.
But the AA also said that hiring a car abroad without a paper counterpart is not always a problem.
Just as some car hire companies do not currently ask for a counterpart, not all will ask for a code after 8 June.
The old-style paper licences, issued before the photo card was introduced in 1998, will remain valid.
To view a record of their convictions, motorists can log on to the View My Driving licence page of the government website.
They will need their driving licence number, their national insurance number and their postcode
As of Friday 10th July the code's now last 21 days and not 72 hours, so the silly idea has just got a little less silly!
Old Jul 11th 2015, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

jogger is on a distinguished road

Anytime I've hired with Malaga Car.com they have never asked for my paper part of the licence and I have no intention of flaffing around with anything else.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luz liver View Post
Saw this on BBC website:

Motorists going abroad after 8 June are being warned they will need to take a special code with them if they want to hire a car.
From that date the paper counterpart of UK driving licences - which records endorsements and fines - is being computerised.
Anyone wanting to hire a car abroad will officially need a code to show convictions for offences like speeding.
To obtain it, motorists will have to log on to the DVLA website beforehand.
But the code is only valid for 72 hours, so anyone wanting to hire a car more than three days into their trip will need to generate a new code while they are abroad.
For those who do not have internet access, a phone number will also be made available.
The RAC said many drivers were unaware of the changes.
"Our research shows that with just over a month to go before the paper counterpart to the photo-card licence disappears, 55% of drivers are not aware of the planned change," said RAC spokesman Simon Williams.
'Belt and braces'
The DVLA recommends destroying paper counterparts after 8 June.
However the AA is advising people to hang on to the document, in case some hire companies are unaware of the new arrangements.
"Not all car rental companies, or indeed traffic police abroad, will be aware of the changes, so a 'belt and braces' approach of also taking the counterpart might help," said AA president Edmund King.
But the AA also said that hiring a car abroad without a paper counterpart is not always a problem.
Just as some car hire companies do not currently ask for a counterpart, not all will ask for a code after 8 June.
The old-style paper licences, issued before the photo card was introduced in 1998, will remain valid.
To view a record of their convictions, motorists can log on to the View My Driving licence page of the government website.
They will need their driving licence number, their national insurance number and their postcode
You are absolutely correct but just hired a car at Bristol and the response from Hertz was ' we do not need that just your credit card' True!
Old Jul 11th 2015, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Porth View Post
You are absolutely correct but just hired a car at Bristol and the response from Hertz was ' we do not need that just your credit card' True!
Not like Hertz at Exeter then who wouldn't accept my credit card without proof of address.