Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car, buy or rent?

Car, buy or rent?

Old Aug 12th 2014, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car, buy or rent?

If you went to Spain for 9 months would it be too much hassle to buy and sell a car?

Would it be easier to rent or would it cost a lot to rent for that long?

I would expect to sell for less than I paid for the car if I were to buy one. Then there is insurance, tax? maintenance etc.

Are there any other options that I have not thought of? (don't want to steal one lol)

I would not hesitate to buy and sell in the UK for 9 months as its easy, is it as easy in Spain?

Cliffb
Old Aug 13th 2014, 12:14 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car, buy or rent?

TBH it depends on what you price range is. It's a buyers market but if you're ok with a cheap run around you could pick up a ford mondeo for €500, basic insurance (with grua assist just in case) and you'll still be able to sell it for a similar price when you're done. Crappy old cars don't sell for 20 quid over here regardless of how battered they look.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 5:36 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliff b
If you went to Spain for 9 months would it be too much hassle to buy and sell a car?

Would it be easier to rent or would it cost a lot to rent for that long?

I would expect to sell for less than I paid for the car if I were to buy one. Then there is insurance, tax? maintenance etc.

Are there any other options that I have not thought of? (don't want to steal one lol)

I would not hesitate to buy and sell in the UK for 9 months as its easy, is it as easy in Spain?

Cliffb
Buying a cheap car here & paying for this and that is likely to set you back at least 1k to 1.5k (IMO) without maintenance and no it is a lot more complicated to buy/sell here.

How much to rent a car for this term ?
Old Aug 13th 2014, 10:20 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Rental car are very cheap as chips in Spain. IMHO, you would be far better renting. Then if it breaks down, you just phone for a replacement
Old Aug 15th 2014, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Rental car are very cheap as chips in Spain. IMHO, you would be far better renting. Then if it breaks down, you just phone for a replacement
Thats what I was thinking. If you try to get a price for such a long time they dont give you one online, expect you would need to contact them and ask.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 8:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure if you shop around the smaller local rental companies and don't want a premium car you could do a good deal.

They must have a few older cars that are due to be repaced and the chance of an extra six months rental might be very attractive to them.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 9:04 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
TBH it depends on what you price range is. It's a buyers market but if you're ok with a cheap run around you could pick up a ford mondeo for €500, basic insurance (with grua assist just in case) and you'll still be able to sell it for a similar price when you're done. Crappy old cars don't sell for 20 quid over here regardless of how battered they look.
You might pick up a car for €500 in Madrid but certainly in Cadiz/Malaga they are much more expensive - when you can find one.

I would seriously try to rent for 9 months.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all.
I now know that it is not a stupid idea to think about renting one, I would not rent in the UK it is so expensive.

I can do some investigating in the future, prices etc.

Cliffb