British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   car breakers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/car-breakers-938974/)

jackteet Jun 7th 2021 2:26 pm

car breakers

Hi, My Wifes 2003 Hyundai Atos needs a replacement ignition switch barrel and keys. Main dealers want an arm and leg so I thought I would try the breakers yard route. I have looked on the internet and there seems to be a few on the outskirts of malaga. Are you guys please able to reco a breakers that you have dealt with online and who understand a bit of english. thanks jack

bfg69bug Jun 7th 2021 6:28 pm

Re: car breakers

Theres a breakers called 'el ingles'... Email them in english.

i would get the part number and buy online tho, have you looked at autodoc for example ?

My renault parts came from lithuania via ebay last time. 2 or 3 days shipping.

jackteet Jun 7th 2021 6:38 pm

Hi bfg69bug, thanks for that. Must admit I cant find el ingles yet. Which part of spain are they. Autodoc cant supply nor ebay.es or ebay .uk. To get to the part number means taking the lock barrel out which is not my forte. I shall get there eventually. thanks again. jack

Fredbargate Jun 7th 2021 7:12 pm

Malaga

https://guia.autobild.es/pro/autodes...alaga-4950501/

jackteet Jun 7th 2021 7:27 pm

Many thanks Fred. I have sent enquiry. jack

bfg69bug Jun 9th 2021 6:25 am

when you search "desguace el ingles" on google.. its the first 4 or 5 results ...

CAT El Inglés | Centro Autorizado para el Tratamiento de Vehículos Fuera de Uso

bfg69bug Jun 9th 2021 6:26 am

Originally Posted by jackteet (Post 13015139)
To get to the part number means taking the lock barrel out which is not my forte.

the problem is.. there might be 17 different ones ?

Barriej Jun 9th 2021 2:28 pm

Try this.

Its easy to do.

Or this place in Holland do them
https://www.totalparts.nl/eng/car-pa...ion-switch-key

Ive used them and they are good.
You can contact them and give the chassis number and they will Id the parts you need.

bfg69bug Jun 10th 2021 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Barriej (Post 13015796)

jeez, 100€ used (plus shipping?) ! what was the price in Hyundai ?

Barriej Jun 10th 2021 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by bfg69bug (Post 13016282)
jeez, 100€ used (plus shipping?) ! what was the price in Hyundai ?

Cars might be cheap but the sum of their component parts are not.
These days most cars are 'given' a life of around 8 to 10 years, after that insurance companies write them off for minor damage, parts are deemed obsolete, consumer society has caused this.
So any available parts become 'premium'

Thing is the ignition barrel and lock may be unique to that type or even model. Especially if it has a 'special' design key.
The contact switch behind it however might only be a couple of euro.

The brake light switch on my 2007 Citreon is €105 from the dealer, was €22 from the place in Holland (and the same manufacturer as well). But it fits around 40 different models across 3 makers.

If you really want a laugh try looking up classic car parts. I got a new (old stock) front wing for my 1968 Mk2 Cortina and it was just shy of a £1000. Brand new the whole car was £840 in 68. And the car was only valued at around £11000 when I fitted the wing in 2016.

When I was a youth, we went to the scrap yard behind Fairy Aviation on the A40 just past the Hoover building in Perivale, always went in with empty pockets, always came out full. Always paid for one item though. My best mate walked (or limped) out with a Mk4 Cortina bonnet stay shoved down his trousers. :) Thems were the days...

bfg69bug Jun 11th 2021 3:54 pm

Oh dont get me wrong, i appreciate that (ive had 4 vw beetles and 5 vw buses...)

Just figured a part for an old hyundai would be cheaper.

I´ve been replacing bits on my 2000 renault megane, and the prices on that were always very reasonable.

Barriej Jun 11th 2021 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by bfg69bug (Post 13016682)
Oh dont get me wrong, i appreciate that (ive had 4 vw beetles and 5 vw buses...)

Just figured a part for an old hyundai would be cheaper.

I´ve been replacing bits on my 2000 renault megane, and the prices on that were always very reasonable.

Buses eh. My mate has a Type 2 original 1973 Westfalia and has spent more on it over the years than its ever going to be worth.

Hyundai are a funny make, I replaced the fluid clutch on an old coupe and it was expensive. Not too sure why either..

To the OP have you tried Eurocar parts in the Uk?
They usually do a good value part as well.

growinspain Jun 12th 2021 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Barriej (Post 13016685)

To the OP have you tried Eurocar parts in the Uk?
They usually do a good value part as well.

I think anything being "shipped" from the UK will be just as or more expensive with added VAT, import duties and not forgetting the time lost that the package will sit in customs.

bfg69bug Jun 12th 2021 3:01 pm

I´ve always tried searching things on forums, and somewhere in europe rather than the UK. I normally get a better / faster / cheaper service.