Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

capital gains tax

capital gains tax

Old Mar 12th 2007, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

youngs is an unknown quantity at this point
Question capital gains tax

I am a UK resident selling a property in Spain.I spent Euros 20,000 fitting out the property .can I claim this expenditure (supported by receipts) against the profit when calculating Capital Gains Tax? I bought the house off plan and selling 2 years after completion.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 2:43 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: capital gains tax

Yes, as long as the works were done with the relevant (if any) licence(s). You can also offset all "official" expenses including notario, lawyer and estate agency fees.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: capital gains tax

Thank you Hillybilly. the expenditure consists of installation of hot and cold aircon,grills against the windows ,curtains and curtain ploes and furniture. So not licence type expenditure. Do I provide my selling lawyer with the list or do I have to employ an accountant?
Old Mar 12th 2007, 3:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngs
Thank you Hillybilly. the expenditure consists of installation of hot and cold aircon,grills against the windows ,curtains and curtain ploes and furniture. So not licence type expenditure. Do I provide my selling lawyer with the list or do I have to employ an accountant?
You should of had licences for the aircon and grills works. ;-(
Old Mar 12th 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

When you do your Capital Gains Tax declaration it is a kind of self-assessment and you just put down whatever expenses you like. You do not have to provide paperwork for expenses at the time but need to be in a position to justify your figures should AEAT decide to audit your return.

The only expenses that would be accepted apart, from legal fees and taxes, etc, are those that have been carried out with a building licence and, then, only to the value that had been declared when applying for the licence.

There are virtually no circumstances where you can build a dwelling on rural land unless you are registered and paying tax and social security as a farmer. Many properties, if they have a licence at all, only have a licence for the construction of an agricultural building which is built to look like a house.

The problem is that you will not get a certificate of first occupation without which you will not be able to contract for services.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
When you do your Capital Gains Tax declaration it is a kind of self-assessment and you just put down whatever expenses you like. You do not have to provide paperwork for expenses at the time but need to be in a position to justify your figures should AEAT decide to audit your return.

The only expenses that would be accepted apart, from legal fees and taxes, etc, are those that have been carried out with a building licence and, then, only to the value that had been declared when applying for the licence.

There are virtually no circumstances where you can build a dwelling on rural land unless you are registered and paying tax and social security as a farmer. Many properties, if they have a licence at all, only have a licence for the construction of an agricultural building which is built to look like a house.

The problem is that you will not get a certificate of first occupation without which you will not be able to contract for services.
thanks Beachcomber.I paid Euors 5000 to builder for extras,such as aircon pre installation.then I bought Euros 5000 aircon and Euros 10000 furniture andd equipment.and ofcourse the legal fees .Do you think this Euros 20000 can be set against profit on sale?
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Any Admin or mod able to split this thread??
There are two seperate issues going on here and it's getting a bit confusing
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Any Admin or mod able to split this thread??
There are two seperate issues going on here and it's getting a bit confusing
There ya go..... no extra charge.
The rest has gone to Buying a plot of land.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 3:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by jdr
There ya go..... no extra charge.
The rest has gone to Buying a plot of land.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

You can certainly claim legal fees and expenses and taxes paid on the pruchase as long as you have proper receipted accounts from lawyer, gestor, agent etc.

You cannot claim for furniture nor, I would suggest, the extras you paid for initially as these should have been included in the original escritura value.

Don't forget the coefficient that you can apply to the purchase value to take into account inflation.