Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can't have it both ways.

Can't have it both ways.

Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:04 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can't have it both ways.

I see the churches are refusing to carry out gay weddings.

Me, I have absolutely no problem with that, if they don't want to, then they shouldn't have to.

Of course, this should mean the instant loss of charitable status, so that no tax payers' money goes to that religion.

Threaten to tax the grasping bastards to the hilt like the rest of us, and I bet you will see them reconsider pdq.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:08 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't have it both ways.

Its actually quite an interesting debate, strictly speaking if a B&B owner has to allow same sex couples to stay the church should be forced to allow same sex marriages BUT... Church and State should be separate, I'm pretty sure thats what the Dissolution was all about.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:19 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Its actually quite an interesting debate, strictly speaking if a B&B owner has to allow same sex couples to stay the church should be forced to allow same sex marriages BUT... Church and State should be separate, I'm pretty sure thats what the Dissolution was all about.
Well, as I always say. I resent that state money goes to churches at all. You want to use a church, you should have to pay.

The debate really comes down to this. If you provide a public service, especially if you receive state money, then you should not be allowed to act in the traditional manner, ie 'No blacks, no dogs, no Irish.'
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil
I see the churches are refusing to carry out gay weddings. Me, I have absolutely no problem with that, if they don't want to, then they shouldn't have to..
I am sick of this constant pandering to a minority group.

They only want a church wedding to bling it up, it cant be for religious reasons at all as goes against Christian teaching.

Are Priests to be forced by UK law to marry divorcees.....no, didnt think so.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
So am I, down with religious groups!

Anyone who is openly religious should be burnt at the stake, or worse, forced to live in dark-ages conditions and sent to prison if they break any rule that is prescribed in their "holy" book.

After all, they shouldnt be able to call themselve religious AND break all the rules whenever they feel like it
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cricketman

Wrong group!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong group!
You can't pick and choose which minority groups you pander to!

Well actually, I guess you can and that is the point. Just live and let live, if religious groups dont want gays then who cares? I don't

And if gay groups dont want religious people, then I don't care either. That's someone elses battle
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:44 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

What a very apt title to this thread....when talking about gay marriages.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:34 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
What a very apt title to this thread....when talking about gay marriages.
Brillant, trust you to spot that one.
Just wonder if Bil had that in mind ?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:46 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Brillant, trust you to spot that one.
Just wonder if Bil had that in mind ?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:47 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

In my professional and business life it paid me, and still does, to keep quiet about some prejudices of mine – not many and nothing too serious. It was quite hard at first but then I did it for the money and it eased my conscience. I must say I’ve got nothing against gay people, nor their right to get married in Church.

Gypsies aren’t high on my list of nice people and for some reason I’m going off lookie-lookie men. Oh, and all grasses should be shot at dawn. After a decent spell of water boarding.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:47 pm
bil
Banned

They only want a church wedding to bling it up, it cant be for religious reasons at all as goes against Christian teaching.

Are Priests to be forced by UK law to marry divorcees.....no, didnt think so.
Absolutely right. They should be free to pander to the bigotries of people with their minds firmly in the 15th century.

However, they should then receive NO STATE MONEY.

Happy with that?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:48 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
In my professional and business life it paid me, and still does, to keep quiet about some prejudices of mine – not many and nothing too serious. It was quite hard at first but then I did it for the money and it eased my conscience. I must say I’ve got nothing against gay people, nor their right to get married in Church.

Gypsies aren’t high on my list of nice people and for some reason I’m going off lookie-lookie men. Oh, and all grasses should be shot at dawn. After a decent spell of water boarding.
Gypsies and grasses must be pretty low on anyone's xmas list.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:50 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman

Anyone who is openly religious should be burnt at the stake, or worse, forced to live in dark-ages conditions and sent to prison if they break any rule that is prescribed in their "holy" book.

After all, they shouldnt be able to call themselve religious AND break all the rules whenever they feel like it
Sounds like fun. All religious fundamentalists forced to live according to their rules.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
Absolutely right. They should be free to pander to the bigotries of people with their minds firmly in the 15th century.

However, they should then receive NO STATE MONEY.

Happy with that?

There are thousands upon thousands of groups and institutions in the UK receiving state money and holding charitable status.

You cant have it both ways and target just the Church of England........ Let gays marry in a Mosque but keep them out of the C of E and RC churches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.