Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cancelling insurance after applying for residence permit?

Cancelling insurance after applying for residence permit?

Old Apr 28th 2019, 10:58 am
Just Joined

craigdnl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cancelling insurance after applying for residence permit?

My non-EU spouse applied for her article 10 residence permit a few months ago, and is still waiting for it to be confirmed. And as I'm sure everyone knows, insurance is one of the conditions of applying. We made a private insurance, but have since cancelled it, as she will soon (but not yet) start working and be eligible for private insurance. The thing was that we were approaching the deadline for cancelling it, and otherwise would have to continue paying for an entire year.

We already gave the paperwork from the insurance plan to immigration, but am wondering if they are actually checking up on it, or anything else? Could we get in trouble, or be rejected because of cancelling our insurance?

I guess this is something no one can know for sure, but I would still like to hear some opinions or previous experiences with it as I'm really freaking out at the moment.
Old Apr 28th 2019, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cancelling insurance after applying for residence permit?

Sorry, no experience but suggest if you encounter problems to explain to them the situation and that she will have a contract and so it is unnecessary. Don't worry hanging has been abolished.
Old Apr 28th 2019, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craigdnl
My non-EU spouse applied for her article 10 residence permit a few months ago, and is still waiting for it to be confirmed. And as I'm sure everyone knows, insurance is one of the conditions of applying. We made a private insurance, but have since cancelled it, as she will soon (but not yet) start working and be eligible for private insurance. The thing was that we were approaching the deadline for cancelling it, and otherwise would have to continue paying for an entire year.

We already gave the paperwork from the insurance plan to immigration, but am wondering if they are actually checking up on it, or anything else? Could we get in trouble, or be rejected because of cancelling our insurance?

I guess this is something no one can know for sure, but I would still like to hear some opinions or previous experiences with it as I'm really freaking out at the moment.
I would hazard a guess and say that 90% of the participants of this sub-forum are from the UK so wouldnt be able to help - but i dont remember it being discussed at all on here before. This could be a landmark case ?!
Old Apr 30th 2019, 9:26 am
Just Joined

craigdnl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
I would hazard a guess and say that 90% of the participants of this sub-forum are from the UK so wouldnt be able to help - but i dont remember it being discussed at all on here before. This could be a landmark case ?!
Yes I guess you are right. And as EU citizens get their card in the same day it doesn't really matter. Actually I'm not sure why it takes 3 months for family members of EU citizens as it says in the declaration they are meant to be given the same rights as their EU family members... Although clearly not... :/
Old Apr 30th 2019, 10:55 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they have most of the rights. The timescale is possibly due to the fact that they don't get the usual green form/card which can be produced on the spot, but they get a proper card with photo and (I think) fingerprints.

That's what we will all get after we leave the EU.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

So that's beneficial then! (This is the TIE no?)
Old Apr 30th 2019, 3:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, its the TIE card. I think almost every ExPat was upset when they removed to old card and left us with a pretty useless piece of paper.