Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Canary Islands - Which one is for me?

Canary Islands - Which one is for me?

Old Dec 12th 2015, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

LooPtruy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Canary Islands - Which one is for me?

Hello Everyone!

Have spent the whole day doing research via Google on the different islands and I want to ask opinions now, given my interests and background.

Some details:
  • Fluent in Spanish
  • No need to look for a job in the island. Income will come from different channels
  • Idea is to live 6-8 months in one of the islands, then spend rest of the year in mainland Spain (likely Northern Spain)

What I do look for in the island?
  • Quietness
  • Unspoilt
  • Nice beaches (white sand preferred, black sand ok! Rocky beaches not ok!) to walk and relax
  • Silence
  • Easy to reach from Madrid/London
  • Nature, things to do: scuba diving, hiking, etc
What I want to avoid?
  • Tourists
  • Masses
  • Big resorts
  • Parties

I believe I have completely ruled out Tenerife. Hierro and Lanzarote seem interesting, although El Hierro is tough to reach.

I would like to hear opinions now based on your experience

Last edited by LooPtruy; Dec 12th 2015 at 2:05 pm. Reason: missed sth
Old Dec 13th 2015, 3:03 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canary Islands - Which one is for me?

I have lived on El Hierro for many years, easy to reach, just catch a plane or a ferry.

However if you are a beach person do not come here white sand or any other kind of sand is in very short supply, Northern Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura, Lanzarote or perhaps Graciosa will suit your sandy needs.

Scuba diving world famous, hiking, and tranquility we have,

Few tourists, even fewer residents from the U.K.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canary Islands - Which one is for me?

Originally Posted by LooPtruy
Hello Everyone! Have spent the whole day doing research via Google on the different islands and I want to ask opinions now, given my interests and background. Some details:
  • Fluent in Spanish
  • No need to look for a job in the island. Income will come from different channels
  • Idea is to live 6-8 months in one of the islands, then spend rest of the year in mainland Spain (likely Northern Spain)
What I do look for in the island?
  • Quietness
  • Unspoilt
  • Nice beaches (white sand preferred, black sand ok! Rocky beaches not ok!) to walk and relax
  • Silence
  • Easy to reach from Madrid/London
  • Nature, things to do: scuba diving, hiking, etc
What I want to avoid?
  • Tourists
  • Masses
  • Big resorts
  • Parties
I believe I have completely ruled out Tenerife. Hierro and Lanzarote seem interesting, although El Hierro is tough to reach. I would like to hear opinions now based on your experience
Why don't you just live in mainland Spain and then go to the islands when it suits? If it has to be an island, you could also consider the Azores.