Reload this Page >

Canaries bound!

Canaries bound!

Old Nov 8th 2015, 9:05 am
Just Joined

MissMinky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canaries bound!

Good Morning,
I'm new to the forum and am looking for any help/advice regarding relocating to the Canaries. Within the next 5 years I am planning on leaving the wind and rain of the U.K. and spend my time in a warmer climate and have decided that the Canaries fit the bill. I have visited both Lanzarote and Fueteventura, liked both islands but am leaning towards F possibly the Castillo area. I am a 50 year old widow who is not ready for shuffleboard yet but equally does not want to be surrounded by nightclubs and rowdy holidaymakers! I am retired and will not be looking to work, I want to be in an area that is safe, don't mind what type of property ie villa/apartment and close to amenities (don't mind driving but a stroll to the local shops would be ideal).
I have thought that my best plan of action would be to rent long term initially to ensure that I've made the right decision (probably rent my UK property out during this time). Clearly there are lots of things I need to know about and there is only so much you can learn from reading articles on the web. This would be a huge move for me and I want to get it right so any advice/help/do's and don't' from other members are gratefully received and much appreciated, Thank you
Old Nov 8th 2015, 9:17 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canaries bound!

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 9th 2015, 6:32 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Miss Minky, in view of the fact that you have had no response, without elaborating too much and having lived in the Canaries best part of ten years I would strongly advise you to check out the other islands first with regard to a permanent place of residence.
My own opinion for what it's worth is that Fuerteventura would be bottom of my list, nor would I consider Lanzarote which is fine for a holiday but limited in other respects.
Weather, environment, people, choice of things to do and things to see, infrastructure, countryside, costs and numerous other factors would make me consider much further West and also remember there is a lot of choice well away from the so called touristy areas of the bigger islands.
Regards D.D.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Canaries bound!

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Hi Miss Minky, in view of the fact that you have had no response, without elaborating too much and having lived in the Canaries best part of ten years I would strongly advise you to check out the other islands first with regard to a permanent place of residence.
My own opinion for what it's worth is that Fuerteventura would be bottom of my list, nor would I consider Lanzarote which is fine for a holiday but limited in other respects.
Weather, environment, people, choice of things to do and things to see, infrastructure, countryside, costs and numerous other factors would make me consider much further West and also remember there is a lot of choice well away from the so called touristy areas of the bigger islands.
Regards D.D.
Just need a little advice Dick...we are planning a few weeks in the Canaries but cannot decide where to base ourselves. We will be renting somewhere and going off for a few days to explore the other islands but everyone I speak to says something different. We live in a village north of Marbella and are looking for somewhere that is not touristy but still has a local life. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 14th 2015, 5:20 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris, it's quite a while since I was back there so it's difficult to recommend a precise location as I know things have changed quite a bit.
To see the other islands you'd best hire a car for a week or two. To me the Western isles are by far the prettiest and most interesting and possibly a good place to base yourself would be within range of Los Cristianos Tenerife from where car ferries travel every day to El Hierro, La Gomera and La Palma all lovely islands and different to each other, so well worth at least one overnight stop on each to get a good look around.
From Santa Cruz towards the North of Tenerife a ferry runs daily to Gran Canaria.
Tenerife itself is a wonderful island away from the tourist areas and well worth exploring all sides as well as the centre of the island which could take quite a while and possibly rent a room in the Tacaronte or Puerto de la Cruz area, very different to the south.
Santa Cruz is also an interesting city and further north you have the Mercedes mountains and the rain forest.
The East side is least interesting, a little bit arid and catches the dusty prevailing winds.
Fuertaventura is very arid, not much to see, Lanzarote a little better and ok for a couple of weeks holiday but not much more and both are affected more than the others by the dusty prevailing Easterly winds.
Just my opinion of course and I imagine plenty will disagree with me, but you pays your money and makes your choice.......so I hope you find something to suit.
By the way Tenerife has its own dedicated forum where you can get much more up to date and detailed info on just about everything.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Canaries bound!

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Hi Chris, it's quite a while since I was back there so it's difficult to recommend a precise location as I know things have changed quite a bit.
To see the other islands you'd best hire a car for a week or two. To me the Western isles are by far the prettiest and most interesting and possibly a good place to base yourself would be within range of Los Cristianos Tenerife from where car ferries travel every day to El Hierro, La Gomera and La Palma all lovely islands and different to each other, so well worth at least one overnight stop on each to get a good look around.
From Santa Cruz towards the North of Tenerife a ferry runs daily to Gran Canaria.
Tenerife itself is a wonderful island away from the tourist areas and well worth exploring all sides as well as the centre of the island which could take quite a while and possibly rent a room in the Tacaronte or Puerto de la Cruz area, very different to the south.
Santa Cruz is also an interesting city and further north you have the Mercedes mountains and the rain forest.
The East side is least interesting, a little bit arid and catches the dusty prevailing winds.
Fuertaventura is very arid, not much to see, Lanzarote a little better and ok for a couple of weeks holiday but not much more and both are affected more than the others by the dusty prevailing Easterly winds.
Just my opinion of course and I imagine plenty will disagree with me, but you pays your money and makes your choice.......so I hope you find something to suit.
By the way Tenerife has its own dedicated forum where you can get much more up to date and detailed info on just about everything.
Thanks Dick..lots to consider but I think we might just fly to Las Palmas or Tenerife then spend a few days to get our bearings.