Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can you recommend an English speaking Lawyer?

Can you recommend an English speaking Lawyer?

Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Nacnud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you recommend an English speaking Lawyer?

We're looking at buying in Sax, not too from Alicante. The agent has put us on to their English speaking lawyer that has apparently helped a lot of people in the town but they haven't applied any pressure to us saying we can use anyone and that they'd help us find others e.g. a list of.

If you're in that region, do you have any suggestions?

The villa I'm looking at has an issue with the pool and the detached bungalow that comes with it. The agent says the seller will have it written into the purchase contract that any fines will be met by him and they have suggested before the deal is complete (I understand he's moved back to England already - the property is vacant). The say that the local authorities recently swooped on a number of houses in the area to see if people had planning permissions for new buildings etc. and that a job lot are now facing fines.

We're just selling our properties in England and once they've completed, we'll appoint lawyers to work on things.

Did any of you use your English based brief to work with a Spanish based brief?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:58 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you recommend an English speaking Lawyer?

Originally Posted by Nacnud View Post
We're looking at buying in Sax, not too from Alicante. The agent has put us on to their English speaking lawyer that has apparently helped a lot of people in the town but they haven't applied any pressure to us saying we can use anyone and that they'd help us find others e.g. a list of.

If you're in that region, do you have any suggestions?

The villa I'm looking at has an issue with the pool and the detached bungalow that comes with it. The agent says the seller will have it written into the purchase contract that any fines will be met by him and they have suggested before the deal is complete (I understand he's moved back to England already - the property is vacant). The say that the local authorities recently swooped on a number of houses in the area to see if people had planning permissions for new buildings etc. and that a job lot are now facing fines.

We're just selling our properties in England and once they've completed, we'll appoint lawyers to work on things.

Did any of you use your English based brief to work with a Spanish based brief?
Do not use a lawyer that sleeps with the agent, find another !
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

damatt is a glorious beacon of lightdamatt is a glorious beacon of lightdamatt is a glorious beacon of lightdamatt is a glorious beacon of lightdamatt is a glorious beacon of lightdamatt is a glorious beacon of lightdamatt is a glorious beacon of lightdamatt is a glorious beacon of lightdamatt is a glorious beacon of lightdamatt is a glorious beacon of lightdamatt is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
Thats good advise from jdr, I used one in Torrevieja, she was very good, English girl with fluent Spanish, they also provide full fiscal representation.
Dave
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

We have some lawyers that we recommend (we're not agents by the way). We know them personally, most are friends of ours which is why we recommend them. You can see them at:

http://www.eyeonspain.com/property-lawyers-spain.aspx

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

Originally Posted by damatt View Post
Hi,
Thats good advise from jdr, I used one in Torrevieja, she was very good, English girl with fluent Spanish, they also provide full fiscal representation.
Dave
Hi Dave, me and hubby are going to torrevieja on friday and will be looking at properties I was wondering how to get a lawyer for a purchase (should we something we want) without them being linked to the estate agent would you pm me her name and business contact no if you have it. Thanks
Jean

Last edited by jeanc; Apr 21st 2007 at 11:02 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Nacnud;4649701]
The villa I'm looking at has an issue with the pool and the detached bungalow that comes with it. The agent says the seller will have it written into the purchase contract that any fines will be met by him
QUOTE]
I don´t want to put you off but surely YOU, as the owner, will always still be liable for the fines? All any contract will do is "entitle" you to get back from the previous owner what you have had to pay. But will you be able to find them in a few years time and will they agree nicely? Trying to sue someone over property tax in a different country is a nightmare.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lis48;4678697]
The villa I'm looking at has an issue with the pool and the detached bungalow that comes with it. The agent says the seller will have it written into the purchase contract that any fines will be met by him
QUOTE]
I don´t want to put you off but surely YOU, as the owner, will always still be liable for the fines? All any contract will do is "entitle" you to get back from the previous owner what you have had to pay. But will you be able to find them in a few years time and will they agree nicely? Trying to sue someone over property tax in a different country is a nightmare.
Whoever has levied the fines will be coming to YOU ... no one else. They won't care what contract you have with the seller, and as Lis says ..... how will you recover the money from the seller who may be in another country by then! The fine stays with the property, which will be yours.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

Mitzyboy is right, when you complete on a property you also "buy" the debts linked to that propery. You need to get this sorted before you complete otherwise you'll actually end up paying it yourself, I know many cases where this has happened before.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

...Did any of you use your English based brief to work with a Spanish based brief?
I wouldn't recommend a lawyer at all and certainly not an English based one and a Spanish based one.

All you would succeed in doing is doubling the already grossly over-inflated cost of using a lawyer.

If there is an issue with illegal builds do not touch it unless it is sorted out prior to your purchase.