Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can you point me in the right direction (Cadiz, Seville or Almeria)

Can you point me in the right direction (Cadiz, Seville or Almeria)

Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

biggeorge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you point me in the right direction (Cadiz, Seville or Almeria)

Hey Guys

Firstly sorry if this is an annoying post in the sense that I don't have any specific questions to ask just searching for advice.

If you just want to list a few other websites that's fine rather than answering my Q's.

I am looking to moving to Cadiz, Seville or Almeria for around 1 to 2 years and was finding it hard to grab some stats on living costs and finding decent residential long term (non holiday rate) based flats to rent. 1/2br.

I am web developer who can work remotely so I only need to broadband to work. Would this effect residency terms? IE not being a direct contributor to the local/national economy? ( I am a EU citizen British passport).

I don't have any desire to afford anything beyond the necessities at this time. Rent, Food, Bills + occasional beer etc.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Take it easy

George
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you point me in the right direction (Cadiz, Seville or Almeria)

For Sevilla area try www.sevilla5.com they came to me well recommended.

Sevilla is a lovely city
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Wow perfect website! Thanks for the info. Do you live in Seville?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:48 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

seville.easy for portugal.and lots of places in spain.look at the map.
good luck
Old Mar 29th 2011, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning George, glad to be of help. No I live outside the town, when the 'Capitan' was alive he got the link and was impressed by it and feedback from users.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggeorge
Hey Guys

Firstly sorry if this is an annoying post in the sense that I don't have any specific questions to ask just searching for advice.

If you just want to list a few other websites that's fine rather than answering my Q's.

I am looking to moving to Cadiz, Seville or Almeria for around 1 to 2 years and was finding it hard to grab some stats on living costs and finding decent residential long term (non holiday rate) based flats to rent. 1/2br.

I am web developer who can work remotely so I only need to broadband to work. Would this effect residency terms? IE not being a direct contributor to the local/national economy? ( I am a EU citizen British passport).

I don't have any desire to afford anything beyond the necessities at this time. Rent, Food, Bills + occasional beer etc.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Take it easy

George
Hi George
Hope you do get to make the move, and enjoy it here. Just a couple of points you should bear in mind
We moved thinking my husband would find web development work here. He didn't. So, If you have plenty of work from the UK etc great. If you don't you'd better be an ace salesman and fluent in Spanish. (OH is an ace web developer but useless in those two skills!)
Remember you WILL be contributing to the local economy because you will be paying Social security of around 250 euros a month as an Autonomo and taxes at around 25% and bringing in IVA and spending your hard-earned here.
We live an hour away from Seville and broadband can be patchy in the sticks.
I do recommend Seville The further out you go the cheaper the rent will be.
we were paying just 275 euros a month! But I Imagine you can expect to pay at least 500 in Seville. I think you could get away with bringing in as little as 25,000 a year gross but life would be frugal. Any less and you should reconsider. Just my opinion.
There are no 'residency terms. you are an EU citizen. There are very few things which will apply to you that don't apply to all Spaniards. That being said the paperwork is a chore and you need to put aside many wasted days for this!
I would recommend Seville if you want some true Spain contacts with IT business, and some city life...but no coast. Nice river though!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by angiescarr
We moved thinking my husband would find web development work here. He didn't. !
I am not surprised. I don't want to be rude, but honestly, while I don't doubt that your husband is a great developer, if the sites in your signature are an example of the work, I would have to say that they don't have that "wow factor". Those sites look very dated and aren't what customers are looking for these days.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Can you point me in the right direction (Cadiz, Seville or Almeria)

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
I am not surprised. I don't want to be rude, but honestly, while I don't doubt that your husband is a great developer, if the sites in your signature are an example of the work, I would have to say that they don't have that "wow factor". Those sites look very dated and aren't what customers are looking for these days.
Look fine to me but then I am dated!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

They remind me of the heady days of the 1990s
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha You must have looked at selfbuildspain! Yes we agree that one is dated and thrown together!
But my site works and keeps working on everybody's browsers. Yes, people think they want flash-flashy stuff. But what they actually want is something that works! Frank is no designer but his sites have a nice clean simplicity and enviable stability. To me that's more sexy!
However if you have any advice for him you can contact him on networkadvice.co.uk (his own site) He'd be pleased to hear from someone more successful than himself. So, know you've seen mine...show me yours!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Ha ha You must have looked at selfbuildspain! Yes we agree that one is dated and thrown together!
But my site works and keeps working on everybody's browsers. Yes, people think they want flash-flashy stuff. But what they actually want is something that works! Frank is no designer but his sites have a nice clean simplicity and enviable stability. To me that's more sexy!
However if you have any advice for him you can contact him on networkadvice.co.uk (his own site) He'd be pleased to hear from someone more successful than himself. So, know you've seen mine...show me yours!
No, I looked at your website as well. When I get to the homepage I can't for the life of me figure out what you do. You are just hit with this wall of stuff. Everything is all together in one place. Yes, it really does look like something out of the 90s. I don't doubt that your husband is technical whiz, but that doesn't make for presentable, user friendly websites. To be fair, you did say that he was a developer and not a designer.

Your original statement just sounded like another "there is no work in spain". But, I just wanted to point out that maybe he is not looking for the right type of work. If he was looking to build websites like those, then yes, there isn't much work for that type of stuff anymore.

Here's one we are working on for a client. The ugly blue boxes on some of the pages are actually part of another outside site. We are making it look like it is part of this site.

http://justforudj.com/
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:06 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

No, I looked at your website as well. When I get to the homepage I can't for the life of me figure out what you do. You are just hit with this wall of stuff. Everything is all together in one place. Yes, it really does look like something out of the 90s. I don't doubt that your husband is technical whiz, but that doesn't make for presentable, user friendly websites. To be fair, you did say that he was a developer and not a designer.

Your original statement just sounded like another "there is no work in spain". But, I just wanted to point out that maybe he is not looking for the right type of work. If he was looking to build websites like those, then yes, there isn't much work for that type of stuff anymore.

Here's one we are working on for a client. The ugly blue boxes on some of the pages are actually part of another outside site. We are making it look like it is part of this site.

http://justforudj.com/
Nothing wrong in adapting a Wordpress site, and the site looks good. There again I can't see what's wrong with Carr's site either. Content over style!
I'm glad I don't earn my money in this sector of IT!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

After 10.54 am this thread has gone off topic completely not even a hint of connection to the OP.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
After 10.54 am this thread has gone off topic completely not even a hint of connection to the OP.
We were talking about the OP working in IT in possibly the Seville region.
@Adrian If you look at my answer it was very balanced and I thought encouraging without being over-optimistic. I would love to answer your slights on my husbands abilities but as the 'wench' says ....
(I get called that too BTW:-))this is not the place and also I haven't seen whether your best effort works on a smartphone, seeing as it's a Flash site. You can't really see most of OHs work because it's all back end. My site is just the front end of a management system. and was never designed to appeal to guys like you, but rather to fairly mature collectors of miniaturists and other miniature makers....and it does!:-)
Old Mar 29th 2011, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Hey Guys

Wow interesting diversion haha.

Just to note I don't intend to find web work locally. There are plenty of freelance based market places on the internet. odesk,elance,99designs etc maybe worth a look angie if your hubby is having no luck locally.

If anyone can recommend good Spanish property listing companies for rental market I would be really grateful. Something Spanish made for Spaniards rather than for non-nationals.

I have a some what specific inquiry for anyone how knows Spain well or lives there currently.
Do you know any moderate medieval towns in Andalucia with moderate rent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.