Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

can you become too spanish?

Wikiposts

can you become too spanish?

Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:59 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can you become too spanish?

Read the Spanish newspapers every day and you may be a little more cautious about where your children are. There are often sexual offences involving youngsters. Ingnorance is bliss they say
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:08 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Read the Spanish newspapers every day and you may be a little more cautious about where your children are. There are often sexual offences involving youngsters. Ingnorance is bliss they say
I do (well, not every day) & I know about the dangers & that peadophiles exist everywhere

but really & truly they do get more freedom here because they can

the atmosphere is very much like it was in the UK when I was a kid - everyone looks out for each others kids - & we've been here a long time now & the kids are pretty well known

not in a bad way I hasten to add!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:30 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lynnxa
actually you do have a point there

my girls' lives are very similar to how mine was in the UK as far as freedom is concerned

I used to go off for the day walking for miles with with my friends & a picnic from about the age of 10 or so - just went home for dinner

on the bus into the next town for swimming or the cinema from about the same age

& this was before mobile phones

I would too - I never had days out with mom and dad. I was always out with friends or going off on my own. I walked to school by myself, went the library, the launderette for mom, the chippy - going back to the 70's mind. Them were the days!!!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:50 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I like the way Spain is more like England was alleged to be. More neighbour support, more friendly.

I also like the way they are less po faced than the UK when it comes to swearing. Mind you, our neighbour was a bit shocked when a young child who she had annoyed told her to 'Quitarse los pelos del con~o'.

(For improved impact change pelos to piojos)

My favourite I think is 'No me suda la polla' = I don't give a ****.

For comic effect tho, try 'Que tu proxima mierda sea un erizo!'
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil

I also like the way they are less po faced than the UK when it comes to swearing. Mind you, our neighbour was a bit shocked when a young child who she had annoyed told her to 'Quitarse los pelos del con~o'.

IMHO spanish are not po faced about using many words that we translate into english as they dont have the same meaning or agressive intent an example being conjo.

I hear it all the time and am told it does not have the same effect as calling someone a c u next tuesday for instance.

My Spanish friends laughed out loud at the erizo thing but I could not think of an English equivalent.

I then wondered if women would say no me suda la polla as not having one would sound weird (or not)

As far as I know Spanish people take great offence at something indicating that their mother is a whore and eats you know what.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:04 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
IMHO spanish are not po faced about using many words that we translate into english as they dont have the same meaning or agressive intent an example being conjo.

I hear it all the time and am told it does not have the same effect as calling someone a c u next tuesday for instance.

My Spanish friends laughed out loud at the erizo thing but I could not think of an English equivalent.

I then wondered if women would say no me suda la polla as not having one would sound weird (or not)

As far as I know Spanish people take great offence at something indicating that their mother is a whore and eats you know what.
Being able to drop a swearword in just the right way/place is a great asset.

One I have heard a few times, and have used to great effect is 'La madre que lo pario' with the emphasis on the 'o'. Used when talking of someone you really don't like.

The hedgehog one was something I heard someone say in the UK, and to me ranks with 'polishing a turd' .

When it's a tad chilly, "Ma' frio que setenta putas' raises a smile too.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil
Being able to drop a swearword in just the right way/place is a great asset.

One I have heard a few times, and have used to great effect is 'La madre que lo pario' with the emphasis on the 'o'. Used when talking of someone you really don't like.

The hedgehog one was something I heard someone say in the UK, and to me ranks with 'polishing a turd' .

When it's a tad chilly, "Ma' frio que setenta putas' raises a smile too.
only to a bloke
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:26 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by whitelinen
only to a bloke
Nope, women laugh at it too, - apparantly for a guiri to come out with it is quite a novelty.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

Throw in a ´joer´ or cojones at the end of a sentence and you´ve crossed over.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:39 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by goaty
Or even just 'jo.....'

I love the way the seriousness of something can be graded by how many pairs of balls it has.

Un resfriado de cuatro pares de cojones.....
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by goaty

is there a d missing ?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:49 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I like the way Spain is more like England was alleged to be. More neighbour support, more friendly.

There is no "NO" at the beginning of "me suda la polla". It starts with the word "me".

JLFS
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:07 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
But that is how UK was when I was a kid. ;-))
exactly.when I started primary school, my mother took me the first morning, said she would meet me at dinner time, I said, NO, I would walk home, only half a mile.. It was the only time she took me, yet there were some kids whose mothers took them till they were 10 or so.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:31 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama
I would too - I never had days out with mom and dad. I was always out with friends or going off on my own. I walked to school by myself, went the library, the launderette for mom, the chippy - going back to the 70's mind. Them were the days!!!
70's here too

I used to get sent out for ciggies from a very young age

OMG & Dr. Whites no 1's

I was furious with my mum when I eventually found out what they were...................................

my younger brother even more so

Last edited by lynnxa; Aug 5th 2009 at 6:34 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:18 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lynnxa
70's here too

I used to get sent out for ciggies from a very young age

OMG & Dr. Whites no 1's

I was furious with my mum when I eventually found out what they were...................................

my younger brother even more so

Me too - 10 B&H and tampax - (I was so young my mom gave me a note to give to the shop).

As for swearing - I don't swear in English never mind Spanish. My kids will probably pick it up. All I can do is get a bar of soap ready.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.